East Dulwich Picturehouse and Caf?

VicCraven

I'm pleased that these workers will be earning more money and understand that even on LLW they won't be on Easy Street financially.

Just as an FYI, if any of them are still finding things difficult, they are hiring where I work. It's a sales job, so they might find the work tough-going and monotonous at times. It's a long day, there is pressure to hit targets, and it can often seem like a thankless task, especially while you're learning the ropes. They don't demand previous sales experience, although it is preferred. Commission is paid but the basic salary is above LLW. Anyone who is interested can PM me for more detail.

Nxjen, the agency provides a service that otherwise would prevent the govt paying what it does. Without them, the govt would have to put the difference into hiring their own staff to manage the process.

People cannot be paid more than the value they create. A real life example in the private sector is a nursery. In the UK only 75 percent of nurseries break even or make a profit for their owners. 500 closed last year according to the govt. For those that do make a profit the owner (if they also manage it) make circa 30k (20k pay / 10k profit). Opening a small nursery costs circa 100k in London so even with a loan it is a huge risk for the proprietor.

Nursery staff often make less than the LLW which is a shame. If they were forced to increase pay, the owners would not reduce their already slim profits but either try to reduce headcount (ie increase productivity) and / or increase prices.

Higher prices would reduce the market for nurseries forcing some to close as not all parents could afford the hike and would switch to other child are alternatives.

Either way, jobs would be lost and it's not because the owner is greedy or parents are evil but rather business reality.

Any competitive industry in the private sector is exactly the same. Most businesses operate at the minimum profit margin that rewards the owner for the risks and work involved with their investment. Just because a business is large doesn't mean it's profit margin is high. A large quantum of profits due to size does not mean spare profits. Who for instance would invest in a company that was only giving you a 2 percent return. You'd be better of buying a less risky govt bond or starting a different business.

Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "No, without benefits low skilled workers would

> live less well, not be paid more."

>

> If however the state has determined that the wage

> is insufficient to live on and the employee is

> eligible for state top up i.e. benefits paid for

> by the tax payer, then the minimum wage should be

> set higher i.e. minimum wage + benefits.

>

> "Every employer pays what the skills of the

> employee add to the business"

>

> At some levels yes but at lower levels, those jobs

> that are typically outsourced (as Otta has touched

> upon) workers are paid the very least the agency /

> outsourcing company can get away with so their

> rake off is higher. With these parasites in

> control of so much low level employment, skills

> that are offered are only a very small part of the

> equation in determining wages.

If it was done properly by the same independent body DuncanW refers to, then possibly but it would be complicated and is not really necessary.

Low skilled jobs in London already are above the national min wage in general I think. The lowest paid Ritzy staff were earning 7.35 before the protest compared to 6.50 which is the legal min. The London employment market in General seems to provide a premium.

Nationally 5 percent of workers are on the min wage.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any political will to address affordability of housing. City Hall seem more interested in keeping prices high, in support of a construction industry which is increasingly concentrating on investment property.

Childcare pushes people (mostly women) out of work in large numbers who would rather be working.

Honestly though, childcare is only ever affordable if heavily subsidized by government. Just looking at the numbers including child to adult ratios etc required by law its not possible any other way. If one adult can only look after 3 children, paying them a decent wage plus covering all of the overheads etc means a large chunk of an average persons wage will be eaten up by childcare. I mean, even if you earned double what the child care provider does, as you pay for child care out of your post tax income and their are business overheads that are included in the bill, you'd still struggle.

• 5 months later...

Members preview night at the East Dulwich Picturehouse last night was a complete success.

All three screens have far exceeded my expectations and the architectural design of the new interior creates the perfect atmosphere for a pre-film drink and bite to eat.

At last East Dulwich has a cultural hub and judging by the crowd last night, it's going to be fun place to meet and hang out.

Bring on the official opening next Thursday.