Owner of The Bishop opens new pub in Herne Hill

Tillie, I do not have an auntie called Jean Smith to my knowledge. Where is she from ?

JAMMA, Ganley's is not becoming a gastropub. Gastropubs tend to be restaurants within pub buildings. They charge restaurant prices, are devoid of atmosphere and one tends to not feel comfortable drinking without eating. If you have been to any of my other pubs I can guarantee you will not recognise any of these traits. The Brockwell Park Tavern was owned by the Ganley family. It was they who transformed it into 'Ganley's', if it had been working as the BPT they would not have changed it. If had been working as 'Ganley's' they would not have sold it. If the foresters had been working it would ot have been given to me... Do you see where this is going ?

Regards

No worries Scott, I drink in the Bishop every now and then, and most of us are extremely pleased for your success. Before your team's hard work it was very 'traditional' and very empty.

On the subject of sweepingly inaccurate generalisations, and also because I'm generally quite tedious, I came to the conclusion over the weekend that whatever the conspiracy theorists say, there's only 1 SUV for every 100 other cars in ED, and only 1 three wheel pram for every 14 others....

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No worries Scott, I drink in the Bishop every now

> and then, and most of us are extremely pleased for

> your success. Before your team's hard work it was

> very 'traditional' and very empty.

>

> On the subject of sweepingly inaccurate

> generalisations, and also because I'm generally

> quite tedious, I came to the conclusion over the

> weekend that whatever the conspiracy theorists

> say, there's only 1 SUV for every 100 other cars

> in ED, and only 1 three wheel pram for every 14

> others....

could have sworn i read on this site not so long ago that LL was crying out for a "traditional pub",and now we,re singing the praises of another clone.hmm

spadetownboy Wrote:

> could have sworn i read on this site not so long

> ago that LL was crying out for a "traditional

> pub",and now we,re singing the praises of another

> clone.hmm

Think it was me who wrote that. Yes, a nice traditional pub on LL would be great. But Foresters was certainly not nice, and not particularly traditional either (although very handy if you wanted to buy lunch for ?2). Most would agree that the Bishop is a big improvement.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> spadetownboy Wrote:

> > could have sworn i read on this site not so

> long

> > ago that LL was crying out for a "traditional

> > pub",and now we,re singing the praises of

> another

> > clone.hmm

>

> Think it was me who wrote that. Yes, a nice

> traditional pub on LL would be great. But

> Foresters was certainly not nice, and not

> particularly traditional either (although very

> handy if you wanted to buy lunch for ?2). Most

> would agree that the Bishop is a big improvement.

agree it wasnt very nice with the old tatty sofas etc but people have to make up their minds what do they want clone pubs or trad type boozers.unfortunately i think i know the answer to that one and its a shame,as i have seen how each pub in LL has changed over the years and they have all gone the same direction,where once there was diversity now everywhere is just the same and its basically continental lagers and new world wines and if that floats your boat fair enough.personally as long as theres a decent pint of plain im your man regardless of the establishment.

I think that the job Scott has done with The Bishop is fantastic - and strikes me as a great balance between old and new. I also think it's as far from being a clone pub as you could want - there is a proper atmosphere there, good staff, well-kept beer, great "pub" food for those who want it and a genuine welcome when you walk in.

Compare it with the alternatives (a Wetherspoons pub? a generic Punch pub? *gulp* an O'Neills?) and LL seems once again to be blessed.

I have had a couple of good nights in the Brockwell Park Tavern (as was) and appreciated it as being a decent and genuinely Irish-ish pub (I'm from Belfast). Worth noting that this wasn't down to gimmickry (diddly-dee music and Thin Lizzy playing/bikes hanging from the ceiling) so much as the people in the place (and the size of it). Hopefully some of that feeling will be preserved while some of the good things about the other pubs in the same stable are brought in.

And fundamentally people can always walk if they don't like it.

Hi Scott,

I don't know if I'm the only one to think this, but the reason I tend to stay away from The Bishop, is that, on several occasions when I've been there, the lager (Budvar if memory serves - a fine lager usually) has been really really flat, and there's only the one option!

I'm not saying this to be horrible, I'm just trying to give some honest feedback. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty nice place, but at the end of the day, if you're out for a drink, and spending around ?3 a pint (which is the same everywhere), you want it to be a nice pint....

I don't know if anyone else has thought this, maybe I was just unlucky..... :-S

Not sure about the larger but they do good ales every now and then, they had great one last year called (something like) Summer Fresh which was a great refreshing lager substitute. Looking forward to the micro-brewery in Herne Hill.

Keef

I'd say you were unlucky - I'm in there at least once a week and have usually had a solid pint. What I notice with Budvar is that if it's not 100% it's flavour and make up make the "flatness" more apparent - I just wrote that and it doesn't make sense to me but I know what I mean by it..

I think I'm with you, it does have a taste to it...... All power to Budvar, can't believe it lost it's name to that American Nats P!ss!!!!

Anyway, like I say, I could well have been unlucky, and I haven't been back for a while, so maybe it was a problem that has since been sorted, so I shall try again. It was, however, more than once, and I know I wasn't the only one in our party that night who had that same opinion....

This is all hypothetical anyway - my impression of everyone on this forum is that after the weekend we have had a period of sobriety might be in order ;-)

Summer + Budvar + way home from work = 1 fine reason to live in ED

Herne Hill will be more of a destination night out when it opens

Any news on a name yet Scott?

• 4 weeks later...

How did we find out about Peroni being your favourite tipple or how did we find out about Peroni?

The former: Just now when Fear n Boozin said it

The latter: About 1987 when I first went to Pizza Express

Of late I've seen it on draught in The Drum, The Dog, and a few other places which for the life of me I can't recall