What do you do with your old CD collection?

ZoeG

like my old vinyl, I'll be boxing my cd's up and keeping them. They are more than pieces of plastic which convey music to a speaker. I remember where I bought these things - why I bought them - who I bought them for

None of it means a sack of beans beyond nostalgia - but when I flick through them in years to come I'll be glad I kept them

CDs are becoming collectible like vinyl. A friend of mine deals in music memorabilia and makes a sizeable amount on buying and selling CDs. Might be worth finding a dealer and seeing if you have anything they'd be interested in.

I personally have kept all mine as they cost me a fortune as a teenager ( remember when a cd could cost ?20!) and they remind me of my youth

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mine are in a box in the loft with my

> Vinyl...exactly the same reasons as SJ

Whatever you do do not store vinyl in a loft, or garage, unless you have a converted loft. If you store them in either, you end up with albums covered in dust, dirt, heat,and they can be got at by mice or any other kind of pest, they can be destroyed by damp pr moisture that can easily get into a garage or a roof. During my many years as a record dealer I visited many people who had stored their precious vinyl in lofts and garages, only to find that after years of being tucked away, the covers had been eaten, ruined, by dust and dirt, records warped by the heat caused by sunlight on a roof and worth zilch.

Sazzle30 Wrote:

> CDs are becoming collectible like vinyl. A friend

> of mine deals in music memorabilia and makes a

> sizeable amount on buying and selling CDs. Might

> be worth finding a dealer and seeing if you have

> anything they'd be interested in.

> I personally have kept all mine as they cost me a

> fortune as a teenager ( remember when a cd could

> cost ?20!) and they remind me of my youth

Most record dealers pay pennies for CD's, unless they are rare or collectable, sadly most CD's aren't.

Some CDs/vinyl are worth selling on eBay. Otherwise, take to Music & Video Exchange. In general, CDs aren't worth much at all unless they're out-of-print and therefore collectible. Vinyl collectibility depends on condition as well.

Annasfield Wrote:

> For Christmas in 1997 my Dad bought me the Verve,

> Urban Hymns CD. He tucked the receipt in the

> sleeve in case I wanted to change it. It was

> ?17.99! Can't get over how much they were.

I remember being at a house party in Liverpool where that album was playing, and it was cool. Then it finished. Then it started again. This happened for the whole night, and I have never listened to that album since.

Can't believe it was ?17.99, I don't remember spending that much on CDs, but I guess I must have.