New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

The focaccia with yeasted butter is amazing, as are the crispy pig ears - you can get those type of bar snacks in the downstairs bar too.

Oh also, they sometimes have cornflake ice cream. It might be one of the best things I've ever tasted!

Sue - we got 5 dishes (3 larger ones, two smaller ones), one beer, one cocktail... bill was just over ?50 (not inc service). Really enjoyed it and will def be back. I am not mega-keen on the d?cor, but maybe that's just me.

John the Unicorn featuring in the Guardian the other day

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jun/05/gran-designs-old-has-become-the-new-in

"That?s the Antic effect. The company thrives through its unashamed appeal to customers of the 30s, professional, bearded sort, and locates its offerings in the up-and-coming areas where they can afford to buy a home...The formula for success sounds simple: find a building with character, strip it back to its bones, fill it with chintzy clutter and watch the hipsters roll in."

I presume it's new owners, it's certainly a different team behind the counter. They seemed to spend quite a bit of time on the refurb, although I can't say exactly how much has changed because I didn't go to the old one much apart from to tell the owner to get his stinky fish scraps bin collected more often... The back section is still closed off for renovations but will be opening soon, apparently.

Rose's Fish and Chips. Yes they are new owners and they spent a week properly steam cleaning the place after the old tenants left it in a state. I had lovely Cod and Chips there and intend to as much as possible which will be dangerous as I own the bike shop five doors along. So yes, biased. Also tho I know what is good for the stretch and these guys are. I am so glad they are here. Support your local chippy and you shall be rewarded with lovely brown hotstuff and pickles.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue - we got 5 dishes (3 larger ones, two smaller

> ones), one beer, one cocktail... bill was just

> over ?50 (not inc service). Really enjoyed it and

> will def be back. I am not mega-keen on the d?cor,

> but maybe that's just me.

We went to John the Unicorn yesterday lunchtime. We really enjoyed the food, especially the pud we had (panna cotta with salted shortbread crumbled over it, and some sort of poached strawberries on the side). Thought it was very good value for money.

I'm not keen on the decor either, and it was very gloomy upstairs during the day (though there's a brighter bit at the back which we didn't discover till too late). I also didn't realise they had Murphy's on draught until too late :(

It was very very empty, though we were quite early so maybe most people have lunch later!

There are great windows in the downstairs bar which open onto the street and which you can sit immediately in front of (grammar), but I'm not sure whether you can eat downstairs?

• 1 month later...

Love MeatLiquor. Been loving their burgers since they were being done out the side of a truck, had a short spell in The Rye Hotel then went cosmic with Meatliquor (has a branch in Singapore now).

Look forward to having a burger in ED. They are also opening in East Croydon this year at BoxPark I believe

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with Jeremy and Help-my-Boab about MeatLiquor and Honest. You know there's an Honest in Peckham right?

But yes, great to have a decent burger on Lordship Lane finally. GBK have been pedalling their muck with no competition for too long.

Their latest social media update suggests it'll be a while before they open. They are waiting for an upgraded power service- can take up to 12 weeks.

They are both good but if you like burgers and haven't had a Bleeker St burger then I'd strongly advise seeking one out, you won't regret it (but your arteries might)! Patty and Bun also up there too but not quite as good...