Commuterama - commute times from East Dulwich

In the 6 years I've lived here my journey to and from work has hovered around the 50-70 mins mark. (It's actually a bit higher now because I walk from Elephant to Katherine's Dock - but If I stayed on the bus it would be about 60). All told I don't consider it that bad at all - time to get a bit of reading in as well as excercise and music

But I got to thinking how bad it would be if I had to change, get a tube, then another mainline to Herts or somewhere

So who on here has the worst commute from ED?

Sean - two hours per day of reading/music/exercise sounds a great - not so much a commute as beach time. For me the commute is slightly different - half an hour cycle to Bromley - keeps me fit(ish) but reading is a bit tricky on the bike. Definately not the worst commute from ED then, but I know a woman who got the 176 all the way from Dulwich Court to Oxford street every day. Dulwich court is as far up Lordship Lane as you can get before you hit the Horniman. Now that is one long bus ride.

Citizen

Mine's changed, cos I'm officially a Sydenham boy now... However, for 4 years I had to get the 12/312 to peckham, get a bus to New Cross Gate, and then get the 53 to my office in Woolwich (could have got the 177 all the way from Peckham, but you DO NOT want to be going around the one way system in Greenwich at that time!!!!).

In the journey, I had kids from about 7 different schools on the buses!!!! That is HELL!!!!! Summer was the worst, cos those buses get STINKY!!! (td)

These days I can get 10 minute train straight to New Cross, and skip straight to the 53 section... Only 4 or 5 schools to deal with now, lucky me :-S It is only a 45 minute journey now though (tu)

For me it's all about the "change" - i think I would rather sit on the 176 for an hour than to change modes

What I used to do was walk to ED station (from top of LL) train it to London Bridge and then Bus to Moorgate - before I figured out that

a) the trains were p-poor

b) London Bridge to Moorgate wasn't all that far either and the 40 bus got me from my door to there anyway...

I used to commute to Regents Park; bus to Peckham Rye station, train to Elephant and then tube. I got a seat on the tube but I didn't really ever get enough time to get into my book! I now get the 12 to Westminster and that takes 50 minutes! 50 minutes to go 6 miles!! Although I suspect it might be a bit more than that going the route it goes.

When I first moved to ED I could easily get a seat of my choice, now the bus gets pretty full at an early stage and if I don't place myself stragically on the pavement I wouldn't get the seat I wanted! :)) I'm sure I'm lucky to get a seat at all!!

Staying on the bus for pretty much the whole journey does mean I don't get a break from the school kids screaming to each other, despite being next to each other, and playing loud music on their phones! But hey at least I've got a seat!

Used to walk to ED station, train to London Bridge, then tube to Chancery Lane (annoyingly having to change at Bank). Expensive and cattle-truck conditions all the way (including the barrier often closed at London Bridge due to overcrowding).

Since discovered the 63 bus. Takes a bit longer - best part of an hour, door to door - but it's one journey, I never have to wait long & nearly always get a seat. No stress (apart from the occasional idiot eating smelly fried chicken or playing awful "slowjams" on their mobile phone) and it costs me ?2 a day with my Oyster card. Miles better. The tube sucks anyway, we can do without it!

I have to get to Mayfair - if I get train/tube that's 1 hour plus each way but fortunately the trusty motorbike gets me there in just over 20 mins. The only way to travel in London is on two wheels (unless boozing of course :)-D)

James

Pretty much the same journey (metaphorically not physically) as me - once you start to think laterally and suss out the bus routes it can be fairly painless

But changing at Bank???? The horror the horror. One of the biggest lies perpetuated by TfL is that Bank and Monument are the same station. Changing from Northern to District is ok - but Northern to Central?? on a hot summers day?? It can take half an hours walk

I'm currently in Kentish Town, which is suprising swift by Thameslink (Tulse Hill, Herne Hill).

Fastest journey yet was a Mockney recommendation: 5.41 left office, 5.46 Kentish Town, 18.00 Blackfriars, 18.12 Denmark Hill, 18.17 LL.

Total journey 36 mins

Speedy eh?

40 bus to Monument, then walk down Cannon Street, past St Paul's to Barts Hospital. Takes just over an hour. But have new job starting over the summer which will eventually be based at Guy's so 10 mins train journey from ED...hoorah.

working at kings as you can guess my commutes pretty easy, but my other half works over by Tower Bridge. When we first moved he would trek down to ED station, but was really dissapointed by the poor frequency of trains. He finds that getting the 12 to Peckham Rye and train to London Bridge works much better for him, he then walks past Ken's place and over the bridge. If he's really lucky (and I'm off!) I'll sometimes drive him over to Honor Oak, and if he's really lucky I'll pick him up from ED, Denmark Hill, or Honor Oak in the evenings.... I'm too nice aren't I?!!

I used to have to get to Shepherds Bush from LL (next to Magdala), that was a walk to ED station, train to London Bridge, Tube to Bond St, then change and tube to Sheps Bush. There and back each day took about 3 hours and I HATED IT!!!!!

Then I moved to a job in Camberwell and it was a 15 minute walk - my quality of life rocketed!

Nowadays it's a 15 min drive to Lewisham and it's bliss!

I work on The Strand. I'm usually a 176 girl. I get a seat and read my book for the 45 - 60 mins journey. However sometimes..when bus after bus is full (I get on at the EDT end of Lordship Lane), I get the train to London Bridge and then the train to Charing Cross. Door to Door, about 45 mins. I prefer the bus...

Georgia

I start at top of LL by the library so by the time I got to Denmark Hill, changed (hate changing!) and waited for the 42 it is still slightly better (depending on wait between 10-20 mins better) but fact is I love my walk from Elephant (need some excercise and I don't do gyms)

That said I'm less picky by the time I leave the office - if a 78 or 42 just HAPPENS by as I'm walking well I'm only human..

kingtubby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cycle or run to Canary Wharf, usually via

> Greenwich foot tunnel. Both of these options are

> usually quicker than the rail/tube thingy.

I work in the Wharf as well. In theory it looks like a good journey on public transport, but in practise it can take up to an hour! I'm thinking of getting a bike and going for the cycling option myself.