Most overrated bands / artists thread

Otta

I'm going to get shouted at for this, but... Sonic Youth? I liked them as a kid, but listening to them now (with one or two exceptions) their songs just aren't very good. Influential on lot's of others though.

Personally, I still like the Pixies. Surfa Rosa and Doolittle are great albums.

I give her credit for being a highly insightful and creative person but there is just something about her voice that grates on me.

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That said, she follows her own path, she is always

> original, her music is usually interesting and

> challenging (if not always engaging and

> occasionally terrifying). I won't willingly listen

> to all her albums, but god damn i'll always give

> them a chance.

Sonic Youth's more recent stuff is actually worth a listen especially as its not particularly hyped.

Try Sonic Nurse for starters showing they've kind of mellowed, or Eternal, which is as close to an actual rock album as they're ever likely to manage.

I recommended them to a colleague a few years back, who wanted to watch some live music and they were playiing their london dates. He didn't talk to me for about 3 days.

"why would you do that to me?" he kept asking :D

rahrahrah Wrote:

> ...and Nick Cave. Sorry, but massively overrated

> IMO

I know it's just your opinion- but I feel I can help. If you don't find something you like amongst this lot I will give up preaching the Gospel of Cave

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I'm going to get shouted at for this, but... Sonic

> Youth? I liked them as a kid, but listening to

> them now (with one or two exceptions) their songs

> just aren't very good.

Hmm... they're one of those bands you were supposed to like, rather than one that actually wrote good songs.

Santana.

Looking at the previous posts it seems to be mainly down to personal taste, so it'll probably be the same names. It may also depend on who rates them - does critical opinion count more than popularity?

Worth remembering too that their reputation may not have grown organically and may be partly due to misguided PR or celebrity stuff. With Coldplay, for example, the Gwyneth Paltrow link certainly added something to how people see them.