Is Penge the new East Dulwich?

luddite

Exactly, let's be good neighbours! Back to the original point of the thread...

I guess it depends what the original question means. Nowhere is the same as anywhere else, and everywhere has got something going for it, but is the point that Penge is now "coming up in the world"?

I can remember not so very long ago when East Dulwich was a pretty nondescript area, with ordinary old-fashioned shops and pubs, but a good stock of housing.

Presumably, as people found they couldn't afford Dulwich village, and then West Dulwich, they discovered East Dulwich. That brought new life to the area (though presumably driving out the old life in the process). And it seems a similar process is happening in Penge - as is inevitable.

As people are priced out of East Dulwich, they look for other areas nearby...Peckham, Forest Hill, Sydenham, and, yes, maybe even Penge. Anecdotal evidence, at least, suggests that this is happening in Penge. Some traders are ahead of the game - whether groups such as Antic or individuals such as Alexandra Nurseries - but the big boys are always slow to follow. As they no doubt will.

I've got nothing against East Dulwich. Funnily enough, my brother used to live there after I had moved to Leeds, and I reckoned I could always afford to return to London to live in East Dulwich as my former area Notting Hill was by then out of my league... that has changed now. When I did return to London, we moved to Penge because it has great transport links, decent schools and was affordable. We thought we'd give it a year or two and see how it went. That was 13 years ago, and I'm happy now to count myself a Penge person. Like many, I struggled at first with its apparently-comical name (actually an ancient Anglo-Saxon name) but I soon got over that. It's a good, safe - if unremarkable - area. But I like it, and it's getting better. Let's celebrate that.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On the whole ED peeps seem happy where they are

> (at least for now) and should be happy for those

> who are happy somewhere else. So why is no one

> sounding happy.

basically 'cos: -

a bunch of people think ED isn't working class enough now, but a sub group of these think Penge is too working class as you can get a kicking on any streetcorner

a bunch of people think ED is up itself but will be moving to Penge as it's gettin a waitrose

a bunch of people who think East Dulwich is sh1te nowadays but spend their whole time on the EDF and spend a fair bit of that just telling everyone how shit ED is nowwadays

All cockwank of course

then there's a few people who are just trying to find somewhere to live within their budget making the compromises that we all (except the very rich) do

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Quids Penge is borderline underclass in some people's eyes based on the views expressed on here. I personally think it's a happy medium between working class and underclass - it's not as severely rough as certain other areas have become (Croydon, Selhurst, Streatham etc) in zone 3/4, but it's not as posh as crystal palace for example. For me at least, bordering between working and under makes it comfortable as it retains character, enough decent shops etc but might be a bit dodgy in the dark. So you'd need to jump a taxi to Beckenham for an M&S/Waitrose fix (if that floats your aspirational side).

Louisa.

• 1 month later...

Bovine Juice Wrote:

> Late Knights (who own Beer Rebellion) are

> definitely opening in Penge - February next year,

> in the Alexandra pub.

What the closed down place opposite the Alexandra nursery

I feel the words 'blow-ins' and 'gentrification' are on their way to this thread

Oh, and a whole lot of happy people

That's the place.

And I THINK the Late Knights chaps actually live in Penge, so "blow ins" would be harsh.

If their prices at the new place are anything like the prices at Beer Rebellion, I'll certainly be happy. Was really impressed with the fact they weren't fleecing people for every penny they could squeeze out of them.

Good to hear similar about the new pizza place on Lordship Lane. Many small businesses could learn a lesson from this attitude. Don't get greedy, and more people will actually come and spend their money. In the long run you'll make more.

Otta

When has any of that, got anything to do with sidswiping a local craft business, with the "blow-ins/gentrification" guff

What's wrong with these local people, out there setting up business, selling their hand made wares, to happy punters

I mean, it's so pretentious and illustrates what is so very wrong with the area

I bet you and the other lot are regretting your move to Penge now

> And I THINK the Late Knights chaps actually live

> in Penge, so "blow ins" would be harsh.

>

Yep, Steve, the owner of Late Knights, lives in Maple Road. He'd said all along he wanted to open in Penge and with the brewery also in Penge, it's a logical step.

The Nurseries often have special LK days and nights with a couple of barrels, loads of bottles and the burger bbq rolled around the corner. Next one is this Thursday (same night as the re-opening of the new Antic run Goldsmiths at last). Oh and LK are also currently opening their brewery as a bar/shop on Saturdays, with prospects of a more permanent venture should it be successful.

• 1 year later...

Just an update, I'm moving back to Penge!

I've totally changed my opinion it, and now that a few of my friends have moved there, I'm joining them!

Penge is BETTER than East Dulwich!

I've deleted my past messages dissing Penge. I was going through some tough times so needed a change. But I miss Penge so much - I'm heading back!!

That's good. I like Penge too. My dad was born there. I've friends and family who've moved there as well. It's definitely on the up. I may have said it before on this thread or somewhere else but the high street reminds me of Lordship Lane before the poncification.

Bit worried at the rate of house prices in Penge, as they seem to have shot up in the last year; and will probably continue to rise as people get priced out of the trendier surrounding postcodes.

I have had to step off of the property ladder for the moment, so hoping things stabilise in SE20!

Louisa Wrote:

> I miss Kennedys and Woolworth's on pe he high

> street, but other than that it's definitely more

> my cup of tea than LL. People who bad mouth it

> probably know nothing about it. Hopefully it can

> stay that way.

>

> Louisa.

Louisa /anybody, am trying to remember, what was the name of the furniture shop that is now an Aldi/Lidl supermarket?

adonirum Wrote:

>

>

> Louisa /anybody, am trying to remember, what was

> the name of the furniture shop that is now an

> Aldi/Lidl supermarket?

That would be Edgintons, adonirum. Must have closed down around 2008/9. Had been there for donkeys years.

Louisa.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Penge is OK. I bought some carpet there and I've

> been to the MacDonald's. I wouldn't wet my pants

> about it though.

Let's also not forget, Penge is home to a rather large Iceland store along with a Peacocks.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Penge is OK. I bought some carpet there and

> I've

> > been to the MacDonald's. I wouldn't wet my

> pants

> > about it though.

>

> Let's also not forget, Penge is home to a rather

> large Iceland store along with a Peacocks.

>

> Louisa.

That's done it. Off to Peakcocks to buy some new grundies