On the Ball (new Football Focus)

matthew123

Northern Ireland were not a bad team at the 1982 World Cup - didn't they beat the hosts Spain?

SP - my argument was that Ronaldo is not the best in the world (he is amongst the best but that is different to being number 1)... only last year Ronaldo claimed himself as first, second and third best in the world, and Fergie only this summer said Ronaldo was best in world. Steven Gerrard is one of the best players in the world but I'd not dream of saying he is number 1.

Time will tell hope it works out at the Bernabau but I think Ronaldo is going to play second fiddle to Kaka.

On the question of best of all time Maradona had this to say last week:

"Do you know what? I played in European football for ten years while Pele played in South America. Yes he won World Cups and everything, but playing in Europe is something else entirely, Not that that makes me much better than him or anything like that. When I played, the man-markers in Spanish and Italian football were like hunting dogs. They never left me alone."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25988057-11088,00.html?from=public_rss

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It looks like Messi can't even get Argentina to a

> World Cup......

All that proves in Maradona is not a manager.

I never went in for the "Maradona winning the World Cup on his own" argument - no one player can do that without a half decent team - then on the other hand Maradona did win the Scudetto with Napoli so I guess he could lift an average team like noone else could. In that respect he was special.

>> "Maradona winning the World Cup on his own"

It's an argument often used by the opposition to downplay being outclassed by a superior team. Similarly, Steven Gerrard is often used as the example of single handedly winning Liverpool the European Cup by pissed off fans of other Clubs - 'if we had Stevie G we'd have won the treble etc". You won't hear supporters of Argentina (the real ones not those at OT) or Liverpool saying they won trophies with just one player.

The main reason the Scousers won the European Cup was because they chucked out the negative tactics at half time and then cut loose. The key change was Liverpool having a better midfield during second half - Hamman and Smicer made a big difference and both were key players in 2 of the 3 comeback goals. If Liverpool had showed more adventure in 2007 by playing Bellamy and Crouch upfront instead of just the Kuyt the Scousers would probably have won the European Cup for the 6th time.

Where Gerrard came into his own in Istanbul, beyond the call of duty, was slotting into right back during extra time to nullify Milan's left winger Serginho who was on fire after coming on as a sub.

As for Cardiff yes I agree.

Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

> He has also side since Cappellos

> installation the team has lost some of it's

> Englishness, whatever the fcuk that's supposed to

> mean.

Probably not intended as a compliment but think he's referring to the improved passing and movement of the team under Capello. Bilic has clearly gained Englishness in his style of management judging by his ability to talk b*ll*cks on any given subject.

Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

> He has also side since Cappellos

> installation the team has lost some of it's

> Englishness, whatever the fcuk that's supposed to

> mean.

Translation: We've stopped losing.