MrBen

maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To those who say location is all this is a bit of

> a poser, no? Swap the two around and the GE would

> STILL be busy and vibrant and buzzing - and the

> Patch would still be f*cked.

Completely agree.

However the lack of business nous of the Patch team was surely exemplifed by their portraying their location as a plus point rather than a challenge?

Otta Wrote:

> The Ivy House is proof perfect that location

> doesn't have to matter.

Last time I went there (a Saturday night) it was pretty dead. Location does matter... that's not to say places can't survive off the beaten track, but it does make a big difference.

The Ivy House ( http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com ) was absolutely rammed on Friday night.

We ( http://www.thegooseisout.com ) had a fantastic sell out gig in the ballroom, and both the front bar and the refectory were heaving with people who weren't at the gig.

Despite a few miserable nay-sayers on here before it re-opened as a community owned pub, it more than met its financial target for its first year, and has won several awards including pub of the year in Time Out, a CAMRA award and an English Heritage award.

Like any pub it's obviously not going to be busy all the time, but for it to have succeeded as it has in a location which I would say is more off the beaten track than either The Great Exhibition or The Patch is an amazing achievement by a lot of local people who have worked really hard to bring about that success.

It also has a great range of drinks at a reasonable price, lovely bar staff and loads of regular and one-off activities going on. And a nice little garden out the back. And real wood fires in cold weather. What more could you ask for?

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Not that I've stepped foot in The Ivy House

> since

> > it reopened, or am likely to.

>

>

> Well you bloody well should. Great pub. Had a few

> in there last night after the game at the Hamlet.

Would have come if I hadn't had plans, and used to go when I was in the hood, but from Sydenham/Penge it's a mission.

Very interesting to see the current barometer of pubs/bars on the lane at the moment - its subtly changing all the time and not always in the way longtime drinkers in the area would expect.

The Great Exhibition is a great example. Its always been popular but its also been a slow grower on non peak nights. Monday night last week in there was full and you couldn't get a table (2 for 1 burger night). Like Franklins they've focussed on a neighbourhood vibe and people are going there for decent food, a good cosy atmosphere and great music. It's rammed and these are all people going there as a destination (not random footfall as per EDT).

Franklins are also now doing busy steady pub trade with locals and restaurant goers alike now that they've relaxed things a bit and they continue to deliver good stuff consistently.

The Pig is now looking super pricey and now that the shine has worn off is not as busy as it should be. Th eEDT is trading nicely but has the highest count of randoms /passing footfall.

The Gowlett? I couldn't even find standing room in there on Friday night. It still has a low key charm to it, friendly regulars of all ages, colours and creeds and still the best pizza's around in my humble opinion.

I couldn't comment on the 'craft' beers, but I had a great pint of Head in a Hat cask ale in The Flying Pig on Friday for ?3.70. That's actually pretty decent compared to some others locally e.g. Old Nun's Head and Franklins are both ?4.00 a pint. Not keen on the restaurant bit at the back but I always find the FP bar area pretty good - dark with a bit of atmosphere.