Death of a Restaurant

MrBen

If it has shut I'll be gutted - best Sunday roast in Dulwich in my opinion. I was forced to go to the Clockhouse this Sunday as the Patch was closed (GE/Franklins had run out, Palmerston stopped serving) and it was nowhere near as good. Must admit the service was a bit shoddy on occasions but I've never had any complaint about food.

Whoop Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it has shut I'll be gutted - best Sunday roast

> in Dulwich in my opinion. I was forced to go to

> the Clockhouse this Sunday as the Patch was closed

> (GE/Franklins had run out, Palmerston stopped

> serving) and it was nowhere near as good. Must

> admit the service was a bit shoddy on occasions

> but I've never had any complaint about food.

The food definitely became rubbish pretty soon after it opened and not even vaguely comparable to The Palmerston or Franklins for a roast. I've never been to the Great Exhibition but can report that we had another roast at The Crooked Well in Camberwell on Sunday and it's hands down the best in the area.

Side question: what happens when you feed an already arrogant bar team with lots of cheap builders grade ching? Do they become:

A: More modest, pleasant and focussed on the customer OR

B: Al Pacino at the end of Scarface. Ego driven. Losing focus on the customer and their front of house execution.

I agree with the comments about the space - it needs to be divided up more and made to feel more like the Great Exhibition which although open plan still feels ok if you are in there when it is really quiet. I ate there once - the food was great - but too pricey even by East Dulwich standards.

I hope someone gets hold of the space and makes it work - it would be a shame to see another pub left empty or turned into houses.

MrBen Wrote:

> Side question: what happens when you feed an

> already arrogant bar team with lots of cheap

> builders grade ching? Do they become:

>

> A: More modest, pleasant and focussed on the

> customer OR

> B: Al Pacino at the end of Scarface. Ego driven.

> Losing focus on the customer and their front of

> house execution.

Are we talking 'chisel'

Oh dear, it's never a good outcome

So, i'll opt for B

That is truly terrible if they haven't contacted people who have bookings there to let them know the situation :(

You could try The Ivy House or The Old Nun's Head, both of whom cater for childrens' parties, or the Community Centre in Darrell Road?

Party is not till the 8th of February, was trying to be organised and book it before Christmas.

Have booked entertainer for it and paid deposit there but no deposit at the Patch... Wonder if it was because deep down he knew it was closing down?

Either way it is all annoying I have tried several places like the Ivy and the community centre but they either don't book Sunday or they are booked already.

All extremely annoying.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Says something like Temporarily closed due to

> unforeseen circumstances. What it probably should

> read is 'Permanently closed due to foreseen

> circumstances'.

Does anybody actually know what the situation is? Could it be due to illness or worse which would explain the lack of response to emails?

I've only been in Patch twice - once in January (wasn't keen on it as a pub) and once a couple of weeks ago. Went with a friend - Friday night - went there as the other pubs/bars on the lane were rammed.

2 pints of Doombar (?4/pt but the only cask ale available) which were flat, sour, stale and unedifying. The place was nearly empty (under a dozen in whole gaff including restaurant) and had the air of a sunken ship. Left (without finishing beers) to go to Great Exhibition - another pub I didn't like before - which was busy and vibrant and confounded my earlier feelings about the place - and had a fine night on Lanes bitter (?3/pt).

To those who say location is all this is a bit of a poser, no? Swap the two around and the GE would STILL be busy and vibrant and buzzing - and the Patch would still be f*cked.