Death of a Restaurant

MrBen

Spot on Mick.

The space is terrible. A few dividing walls erected to creat actual rooms would help no end.

It would create a warmer space - literally as well - and mean that on weekdays when it's quiet rooms could be closed off to make the place feel busy and create atmosphere.

Then, come Fri/Sat night and Sun lunch when all the diners are out you open all the rooms for dining too.

One of my real bug-bears is the modern persistence on pubs being open plan, warehouse style establishments with the atmosphere and micro climate of an aircraft hanger.

I think it failed (is failing?) because it stopped being a pub and became a restaurant with a cold, impersonal bar which was a bit of an atmospheric vacuum*. This is based on my one and only visit in January when it was getting raves for food. Once the food went downhill (as reviews suggest it did) it was all over.

*And that bloody awful illuminated cow's head thing.

I think the general idea may of been to have a restaurant out the back and

a bar area at the front for people waiting to be seated.

Unfortunately for them not sure they ever had enough diners to warrant people waiting to be seated.

The clinical front bar area was never going to attract drinkers.

Even a few years back When it was The Mag or Magnolia ?? we held a Photography Group there.

There was no atmosphere and we suggested that we could display our work there.

Perhaps we could sell the work with the pub taking a small cut. There was never any interest.

And back in the 70's it was a music/disco pub. It was made to look like a cave.

Was a dump back there then. Was it run by the Vale Cherry Tree outfit ?? cant remember.

It went through a phase in the 90's frequented by a little group of friends.

Then There was the Cheese on Toast phase and that was the final nail.

DulwichFox

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> StraferJack Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > but all of it seemed so obvious from the get go

> > MrB

>

> SJ playing the wise owl again.

>

> Yes, granted there was stuff that was off key from

> the start (Concept with no substance behind it,

> oddly surly front of house). But for those

> operators usually all of it is a but whiffy. What

> gave hope was for a good few months was some truly

> excellent food. Like Mick and unlike edcam (who

> may have been once?) at least the five times or so

> I went there for dinner....one meal was the best

> I've ever had in London. Ever. And I'm including

> Finger Lickin' Chicken in that.

Yes, I did go once, a couple of months in and it was bad. Pretty crappy food, overpriced and lacking in atmosphere, despite being busy. I imagine that's one of the problems, they still weren't getting it right at that stage and like us, many probably went just the once and decided not to return.

These days there are quite a few good places locally for food in that price bracket and below, so anything that isn't good enough won't survive for long.

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke to some friends today who came with us for Sunday lunch there back in January, They really enjoyed it and so when they had family over a couple of weeks ago took them to The Patch.

They said it was REALLY disappointing,empty, lacking in atmosphere and the food was pretty grim with tiny ready made looking Yorkshire pudding.

on their feedback its hardly surprising its failed sadly.

I'll have mixed feelings if this is last orders for The Patch.

I think they should have taken much more advantage of the goodwill towards them at the outset. I remember the landlord of the Great Exhibition posting on here, welcoming them to the area and offering them help if ever needed etc. I spoke to one of the owners a few times during the refurb and his plans sounded fantastic. I backed him on Kickstarter. I thought he deserved it. What I couldn't understand at the time - and still don't - is why they didn't engage with their target audience: residents of East Dulwich, Dulwich Village etc, and yes, even the EDF. There were some cards on the bar during the early days introducing themselves, explaining what the concept was, bigging up the Keri Moss link etc, but why not put them through people's doors too? Why no opening night, a few free nibbles to showcase the kitchen?

My wife and I ate there while Keri Moss was still involved - must have been about this time last year - and the food was truly excellent. I think the head chef was a South African guy called Bart. I walk past The Patch every morning and evening and used to see him and another chef beavering away at 8am ever morning preparing sauces etc. It was a proper kitchen. A few weeks after our meal I bumped into Keri in Sainsburys and complimented her on the menu and she looked a bit awkward. Obviously, she'd upped and left by then. I popped in a few more times for a drink, but the atmosphere felt all wrong. As others have said, the bar service was slipshod, and there was an awkwardness about the place. No one seemed to smile much. It felt stilted. Maybe it was me.

I realise the location isn't the best, but someone with talent could make a great success of this place. Look at what the Toasted lot have done with Green & Blue. Similar concept, but the exection is 1,000 times better. Great staff, buzzing atmosphere, amazing food. And okay, a good location. The Crooked Well guys have done a similar thing. Remember The Kerfield? And Le Petit Parisien? They've made a massive success out of the same space and the same location.

If it is the end, I feel for them. Obviously it's never nice to see a business suffer but, as others have said, in some ways they've been the architects of their own downfall.

It did feel very awkward, I last had a beer in there with friends early August before lunch...only to find out there was no hot food that day. But they had menus out.

You could have cut the atmosphere with a knife, the staff all seemed on edge; I don't think I even finished my pint (a rarity!).

A real Marie Celeste feeling about the place that day...

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lowlander Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > You could have cut the atmosphere with a knife,

> > the staff all seemed on edge;

>

>

> That's called a comedown, or The Fear.

In my experience - not catering though - followed by an I don't care

period - and a huge piss up where someone has a go at the management

consultant.