The White Stuff

Still nothing happening out of the window at East Dulwich station, light snow falling on the lines.

There was a hand written note on the ticket machine with words to the effect "no trains for the foreseeable future, listen to media for announcements". Hope that suffices as a note to concerned bosses?

I am obviously a wanker, as I walked to work this AM - the reknowned Norf peckham yoof posse were too busy playing in the snow to kill me and rummage my pockets.

3-4 miles in the snow & ice is about 6 miles of normal walking , so make sure you have decent boots on if you try this.

A proper Stakhanovite worker me.

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am obviously a @#$%&, as I walked to work this

> AM - the reknowned Norf peckham yoof posse were

> too busy playing in the snow to kill me and

> rummage my pockets.

>

> 3-4 miles in the snow & ice is about 6 miles of

> normal walking , so make sure you have decent

> boots on if you try this.

>

> A proper Stakhanovite worker me.

Impressive!!! I am sure your boss is impressed! Has anyone else turned up for work? I find if the weather is pants, hardly anyone turns up for work and there is nothing to do but thumb twiddling and we usually get sent home early!

And this is London, I think the majority of Londoners don't have decent footwear for snow!

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> I have decent footwear Heidi, a stout pair of

> Blundstone boots.

> But I'm still not attempting to get to work

> today.

> Don't dob me in, right.

It is ok HonaloochieB, I have decent footwear too (only because I have been visiting the country a lot of late and the high heels just weren't cutting it) and I am not attempting to go anywhere today but in my defence, I live in one of those houses on Lordship Lane that has lots of stairs leading up to the front door and they are not gritted, and for some reason today I don't fancy breaking a leg or my neck.

Think I will make some cinnamon raisin cookies and have a nice ovaltine.

I got in, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, at 8.30 this morning to be told that I was the only one out of the 50 of us to show up. Building closed as nobody to open it up, just the security guard delivering this message. Boss was in but when I rang him he said not to come in, seemed rather surprised when I told him i was there already. Found things to keep myself busy for a couple of hours then headed home via the chaos of sainsburys.

Interesting times.

dc - thanks for the smileys!

we were by the coast at the weekend and decided to go to the beach while it was snowing. quite a few other people had the same idea. blooming cold but lots of fun! also a few kite-surfers in the sea even though it was snowing as the winds were up and there were great waves. soon after we scarpered back to london as didn't want to get snowed in!

Ko Wrote:

> by the way, way back at the beginning of this

> thread i wanted to know why the sky wasn't dark

> last night? i still want to know! does anyone

> intelligent know the answer???

We're not far from a full moon at the moment, and in between heavy snow showers the sky was clear for a while last night. That might have something to do with it.

Ko Wrote:

> why is the sky not dark?

Could be a variety of effects. The clouds are white/grey and probably relatively low-level so the streetlights will be reflecting off them. Plus snow on the ground will reflect light back too so seems lighter than usual.

• 2 weeks later...