what's the new shop on east dulwich road

Labib1.83

Hi all, we've refitted our shop in anticipation of Evans and upped the range of bikes and accessories we stock. We have also enlarged our already great workshop so we can handle more servicing work. So totally up for the competition and hope to be able to bring Dulwich the best Balfe's ever! We look forward to seeing you all, kindest, Richard Balfe.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > more likely just to be a bit of paint.

>

> "the road layout, including parking, will be

> reallocated to provide for cycling and walking."

Blimey. If it materialises, it will cause a furore. Still, may mean the end of the 'performance art bollard'.

• 6 months later...

Balfe's Bikes Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all, we've refitted our shop in anticipation of

> Evans and upped the range of bikes and accessories

> we stock. We have also enlarged our already great

> workshop so we can handle more servicing work. So

> totally up for the competition and hope to be able

> to bring Dulwich the best Balfe's ever! We look

> forward to seeing you all, kindest, Richard Balfe.

I just had my bike serviced in Balfes ED and they completed an excellent job. The bike had not had any maintenance done on it since purchase 11 years ago. A few new parts and a general service and its running like a new bike.

Once home, google searches see the recommended parts as the most cost effective for their intended use, rather than use more expensive over-specced parts with multi uses.

Would Evans do the same job? Maybe/maybe not, but I will be back to Balfes.

I don't recommend buying from that shop at all.

Here is why:

My experience with Evans so far is way bellow satisfactory as well.

All started a month ago when I went into my local bike store to buy a bike. I ordered the bike, because it wasn't in the actual shop and it got assembled within a day and shipped.

I used the bike for 3 days and people were stopping me down the street saying that I have a flat tire on the back wheel. I went straight into the shop and the person that inspected my bike pumped the tires a bit and he said "Your good to go".

A week later and after using it for another 3 days ( I use my bike only to commit to work, and I commit 3-4 times a week) on the 4th day while I was getting back from work the wheel was buckled. I had to carry it for over 2 miles to get it to the bike shop where the mechanic that inspected it on the spot said that my spokes were lose and that is a problem from the manufacturer.

I asked what would I do in this case and he said that they will have a look and see if they can tighten the spokes or they will have to get the bike back to Scott and get a new wheel in.

I said that I would like a refund in that case cause obviously that's a new bike and I am not going to wait until the bike gets to Scott and back, that's just bizarre. He then short of avoiding commenting on the refund case.

Next day I got a call from the store that my bike has been fixed and I could go in and collect. I went in picked it up and off I go.

2 weeks after (6 days of use), I am back in the store again with a buckled wheel. This time the spokes were not lose but the mechanics that inspected the bike said it might have been a mistake after the spokes were tighten that it wasn't fitted properly.

I left it in and I get an email next day saying that my bike is ready. I went there and the guy said that the bike is not 100% yet it still needs fitting and I could go back late at night and pick it up.

I went in the next day early in the morning (I was busy at night) and the same guy says to me that they fixed it the best they could but the spokes are going up and down so I can ride it to work and back and do whatever I want with it and that they have ordered a new wheel.

I went off to go to work, on my way it was buckled and I had to get a taxi back + extra fees for carrying the bike.

While I was at work I contacted their customer service which were awful, but manage to get one thing out of them "if I wanted to resolve my problem I should go into the store".

I went into the store and after reading my statutory rights thoroughly, and I asked for a full refund of the product as it wasn't fit for purpose since the start, and I have the proof of their own notes from the repairs saying that the bike was problematic since the start.

After a young man inspecting my bike, he went to the manager, took a bit for the manager to come and see me.

Manager came to see me just to tell me that "You are not entitled to a refund, because the bike is not at the same condition as it was when it was bought, and that's in the statutory rights". (The bike has no scratches, no crashes no dirt, no problems)

Who is this guy that they appointed as a manager and he doesn't even know the statutory rights... I had to come into work and go to my legal department and ask them, had 2 lawyer looking at it and they both said whatever the manager said is completely WRONG!

Anyways the manager after speaking all those bonkers to me he went off to his system saying that the new wheel should arrive tomorrow and they should fix it by tomorrow (which is Today).

Problem here is that I have completely lost any trust on Evans after that... Trying to skim me by giving me a faulty bike.. trying to hotfix it without the problem being resolved, then again trying to hotfix it, and then the manager refusing to give me a refund stating that the laws of UK and the legal rights of consumers are wrong?

How am I supposed to trust a company that treated me that way?

I hope that helps some people out there that are considering on using Evans, I don't want to say to you where to buy from and what to do, just be cautious.