what's the new shop on east dulwich road

Labib1.83

Cycling has really increased and hopefully on a trajectory to quadruple in the next 5-10 years. With the Mayor of London planning to increase London's population from 8 to 10 million people, more people cycling one of the least painful ways to squeeze more people into London's transport system. So hopefully room for a new Evans as well as the existing bicycle shops.

I hope Evans will do well there, but I'm kind of surprised they've chosen to open up in that location. Usually they're located either in areas with high footfall (near stations, or busy shopping areas, or else near / on a major cycle route. Seems like a big store in a kind of out of the way location to be honest. Fingers crossed there's enough business to sustain them.

Looks like a very large site... maybe some sort of flagship store that they're hoping will be a draw in its own right? Also, next door to the local leisure centre seems logical in terms of demographic. But hard to imagine it won't be to the detriment of Balfes and Pauls.

An organisation like Evans knows what they're doing. They're not coming here for a punt, of course they'll have the customers. With the appalling public transport in this area unlikely to change measurably for 20 years or more, cycling is bound to become ever more popular. Great addition.

Southwark recently announced a new cycling strategy and they want to develop the 'Southwark Spine cycle route' which will use Crystal Palace Road/Adys Road: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/3976/southwarks_cycling_strategy pg. 41/42 of the PDF.

So there may well be an increase in the number of cycle journeys in the area, which could make an additional cycle shop viable.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> CPR and Adys Road are already a nightmare in terms

> of traffic rat runs. This proposal ain't going to

> help matters.

A rat run for cyclists? What do you mean? I don't get how a cycle route would increase motor traffic?!

I didn't just mean motor traffic - there is an excess of all modes of transport at present and I don't think the road (Adys) copes very well with it (eg, look at the thread with the knocked down bollard).

If it is to become a particular highlight for cyclists, then I think extreme measures should be taken. Block off the road to motors at the south end of the school, There is precedent for this with the road next to Harris Boys.

Not sure of the solution for CPR which seems quite a narrow road. I suspect proposing parking on one side only wouldn't go down too well.

Anyhow, back to the thread. I hope Balfes survives, they are a nice bunch of people, though I confess I have been using Wilsons for over 20 years!

Bought my bike from Evans and the few times I've used them for servicing Over the years I've found them efficient and cheap compared to the few times I've used a local bike shop. At the local bike shop I've found myself needing several new parts each time I've gone in and servicing has generally taken a week rather than a day compared to Evans. Plus, I've found the staff pretty much always friendly, knowledgable and helpful. I have no reason other than those above to be loyal to Evans, I have no connection to them. I just think that for a large chain they've always got it spot on.

I'm sure others have had different experiences but personally I think it's a great addition to the area.

I also hope Evans don't affect Balfe's, who themselves now have 3 shops, so obviously doing well. But most bike shops will only supply certain makes. When I bought my bike I ended up going to Evans in Clapham as Balfe's didn't supply the make I wanted, so on that level having Evans in the area will be a positive...