Christmas trees being sold at the Plough

BeccaL

Some points about the "charity" christmas trees being sold in the car park at the Plough.

I can't find any organisation called "Help the Hospice" although there is one called "Help the Hospices"

The web address they give www.christmastreeaid.co.uk doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know which charity they're donating to?

Edited following info from people below - thanks for clarifying. Well done to them - hope they raise lots.

You would lose your bet Otta-

I know the family and also the woman works as a volunteer at the big St Christophers shop in Lordship Lane. They are legit and money goes to the hospice.

I ask the OP to remove the '' from the word charity in her heading

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd be willing to bet money that the charity

> they're donating to is themselves.

i have known this family for over 25years. The mother of the son who sells the trees every year at the plough has a direct link to the charity. She volunteers her time to work at the St Christopher's hospice on lordship lane. Shame on you who suggesting otherwise.

We got our tree there too and it's a beautiful tree. My dad spent time in a hospice before he died; the staff there do amazing work and it is a massive support to people at a very difficult time in their lives. So I think it's fantastic that they are donating to such a good cause and hats off to them...

Terrific OP ,Loz and grace - there's some dodgy operations so lets just use that as justification for thinking that this is .

Despite the 8 ft high board showing how much money raised so far for St Christopher's with the headed A4 letter notice attached to it and the jacket emblazoned St Christopher's Hospice worn by the lady serving .

siousxiesue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You would lose your bet Otta-

> I know the family and also the woman works as a

> volunteer at the big St Christophers shop in

> Lordship Lane. They are legit and money goes to

> the hospice.

> I ask the OP to remove the '' from the word

> charity in her heading

>

>

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'd be willing to bet money that the charity

> > they're donating to is themselves.

Hands up, I'd lose.

But it might be an idea for them to give the correct information at their site, looks pretty dodgy.

It's not about the charity's online presentation, it's about the people flogging the trees getting the web address correct and the name of the charity. You can't blame someone for being suspeicious if they note down a web address and it turns out to not work.

And telling someone to "oh be quiet" is just rude.

The web address they actually give is www.christmastreeaid.org.uk , not .co.uk as suggested by the OP - might explain some of the issues the OP is having trying to find out about them. There's not much at the website but it does work if you go to the address that they actually give on their huge banner...

And you know Otta, did the OP think of double checking with the vendor before almost accusing them of dishonesty on a local forum? What is wrong with you people? Give them a break. They are just a small business trying to do something for charity. Let's applaud that and support them instead, ffs.

Sorry, but since the plethora of clothes recycling collection bags which arrive purporting to be for charity but only giving a tiny donation, I have an increased awareness of this.

Given the cost of Christmas trees I didn't want people to think they were supporting a charity when maybe they might not have been. Sorry I misread the web address and I'm glad to be corrected (thanks lonajl) and be wrong about this - I only saw it in passing hence didn't go and talk to them or the pub manager. I did try to phrase my original post to ask the questions rather than make accusations.

Enjoy your Christmas trees, everyone.

Thank you Becca for acknowledging your mistake. To be fair, I think there's a big difference between an anonymous collection bag dropping through your door and a local well established business doing something for charity?

Anyway, I think lesson learned and hopefully if any good can come out of it, more people will go there to buy their tree. Admittedly I didn't know about them until you posted Becca, so that's one extra sale for them thanks to your mistake. All's well that ends well :)