Groped whilst running by East Dulwich Station

Bailey84

Sorry to hear all this and thanks as others have said for sharing to make others aware and very glad you are all ok.

I used East Dulwich station on Friday 6th at 7.30pm and saw 5 police officers there - asked them if there was a reason for the presence and was handed a leaflet with the information posted by James Barber above. I can't believe that it seems like the attacks were happening about the same time not far away!? Hope there is some CCTV of the perp and with all this awareness with luck he'll be caught very soon. I'll certainly be more aware of my surroundings and keep a lookout. I hope the police will keep patrolling the area too.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely if he sees uniformed police around the area

> he'll just go somewhere else?

>

> Or have I missed something here?

>

> Hope he's caught soon, anyway.

Uniformed Police on Rye Lane too.

Moved the persistent beggar on this Saturday from outside Tescos.

I was groped in Hammersmith on a weekday lunchtume a couple of years ago when I was walking down the road on my phone. Chinese looking guy passed at a slow jog and grabbed a handful of arse as he went by. Didn't even change pace. I just stood there with my mouth open in shock. Couldn't believe it.

Had a young, black guy grope my arse about a year ago in Kennington when I was bending over locking up my bike. I managed a volley of choice swear words that time and he ran off.

I really would have liked to have punched them both in the face, but I think they rely on the shock factor and delayed reactions as we process what has happened.

Hope you are feeling ok about going out running still. It can happen anywhere, don't let this idiot make you feel unsafe.

david_carnell Wrote:

> Ah well - glad to see they're focusing on the

> important stuff.

>

> Pfft.

Take care of the small stuff and the big stuff goes away.

One particular "beggar" tried to sell me Ketamine before Xmas too (why anyone would want that!!)

Edit: so maybe "street hustlers" would be a more appropriate name than beggar.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> Sadly JohnL we have no answer for those with

> mental health issues, and the dispossessed, except

> 'not on my doorstep'.

I edited my post above anyway - because noticed admin was not happy with

the 2008 thread :)

But yes - I am a bit "not on my doorstep" now - anti social behaviour

moves on and we forget it. Junction of Rye Lane and Heaton Road is a

magnet though for as long as I can remember :(. It was where the

Peckham terminator did his bit before my time here.

I'm sure that cleaning up the anti-social behaviour stops the worse behaviour

mentioned on this thread.

@phobic3000 Yes, the self-defence classes run by Urban Fit & Fearless on Bellenden Road / Scout Hut still take place on Wednesdays and actually reacting to this is the kind of stuff we are taught. As someone said above, actually even shouting at the guy (something like 'back off') is already a good form of attack...

From the point of view of someone with no prior fighting experience (or sports experience for that matter) I find the classes very approachable / dynamic in terms of content...Acting under stress is obviously very difficult but we work on this as well

steveo Wrote:

> The upside is that the cycling has obviously been

> good for the backside

I expect this was meant as a joke, but it's really not funny.

If you had ever been on the receiving end of unwanted physical advances by strangers, you would know that there is no upside.

Oh ladies i'm so sorry to hear this news & hope you are both ok.

It's disgusting that people think they can do this & just get away with it.

I had a similar experience when i was younger, i was groped on my way to college at 8am in daylight & this was someone i knew of & knew where he lived so contacted the police & luckily he didnt get away with it.

It is a massive shock when it happens but i really hope you don't let if affect you because this guy is SCUM!!

• 4 weeks later...

Im sorry this happened to both of you. It's crap isn't it. And it's not even just the unpleasant incident that's the worst bit, it's the feeling unsafe and nervous for ages afterwards when you're just out and about minding your own business that's so crap. But it gets better eventually.

SteveO, you need to educate yourself if you don't want to come across like a complete and utter cretin.

I would love to do a self defence class like this one. http://www.impactbayarea.org