You are about to be horrified. Foxtons coming to Rye Lane

Louisa

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This applies to Station Arcade too.

I think you mistake the Article 4 direction. It applies only to attempts to change from retail to professional services like estate agents. In future they will have to apply for a change of use, and go through the consultation process. That procedure had been removed last April by central Government. The Article 4 Direction restored the Council's power to refuse permission for such changes.

In the station case there had to be a change of use application anyway, which is happening right now, as it isn't retail to professional services and is a multiple use case as well as a major development.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Catching a train yesterday I was looking at the

> old C&A ( opened in 1930's and now Mc Donalds )

> building and thinking how pristine it looked ,how

> well it's structure had weathered and stood the

> test of time .

Yes, There were two C&A's One which is now McDonalds and the other opposite the station entrance between

the two railway bridges..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTd337F6AG8X0Rq-I7jAsuVenze0NMdx9PtjRNnEdNZrl1BmYy02-1hGJZQQ

DulwichFox

To new or relatively new residents to the area, it must be hard to believe that right up until the early to mid 1980's Rye Lane was a hugely important retail destination. Numerous big chain department stores, including (as Foxy rightly points out above) two C&A stores. The current renaissance in the area will hopefully bring back some of that magic of the glory days in some form or other over the next decade. I don't personally believe Foxtons needs to be part of that though, retail/restaurant/bars I'm definitely all for though.

Louisa.

Eileen Wrote:

> I think you mistake the Article 4 direction.

I don't think so.

I have received a personal Article 4 determination notification retrospective to 8 September 2015.

So I read the primary legislation, the documents on Southwark Council's web-site, and the documents Southwark Council sent me.

This is what I understand.

1. All of Station Arcade is within a protected zone.

2. Southwark Council has the power allow the developers to destroy this building of national architectural importance.

3. There is no problem with this destruction area being left as a void windblown area.

4. Unless the red-line boundary is changed only A1 can be built there in the future despite there being non-A1 there now. But Southwark Council can override this.

5. Future change of use applications for new builds away from A1 use to non-A1 will be refused. But Southwark Council can override this.

AND Peckham Vision might like to think about how to register this proposed open space as Metropolitan Open Land.

AND if the developers plant a few trees in pots you could claim it's really "Peckham Woods".

John K

DulwichFox Wrote:

> intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Catching a train yesterday I was looking at the

> > old C&A ( opened in 1930's and now Mc Donalds )

> > building and thinking how pristine it looked

> ,how

> > well it's structure had weathered and stood the

> > test of time .

>

> Yes, There were two C&A's One which is now

> McDonalds and the other opposite the station

> entrance between

> the two railway bridges..

>

> https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AN

> d9GcSTd337F6AG8X0Rq-I7jAsuVenze0NMdx9PtjRNnEdNZrl1

> BmYy02-1hGJZQQ

>

> DulwichFox

This building, owned by Network Rail, is on the list to be restored in the THI (Townscape Heritage Initiative) so it will be able to show all its glory.

It is part of Peckham Vision's series of images for the art deco cluster in that part of Rye Lane, see attached (how do you embed these images as you have doen DulwichFox?):

Eileen Wrote:

>

> It is part of Peckham Vision's series of images

> for the art deco cluster in that part of Rye Lane,

> see attached (how do you embed these images as you

> have doen DulwichFox?):

You need to right click the image and copy the image address.

Then use [ img ] Some image.jpg [ /img ] without the spaces..

DulwichFox

• 4 months later...

Well after all that it seems the application was 'withdrawn', presumably before it went to committee level? Anyway, this hasn't deterred Foxtons from putting in a different application the other end of Rye Lane!

http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk/documents/?GetDocument=%7b%7b%7b!%2f6Pbyt4NcfDVYUcsjHhmpg%3d%3d!%7d%7d%7d

I think Foxtons will get their way, one way or another.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Well after all that it seems the application was

> 'withdrawn', presumably before it went to

> committee level? Anyway, this hasn't deterred

> Foxtons from putting in a different application

> the other end of Rye Lane!

> http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk/documents/?GetDo

> cument=%7b%7b%7b!%2f6Pbyt4NcfDVYUcsjHhmpg%3d%3d!%7

> d%7d%7d

> I think Foxtons will get their way, one way or

> another.

> Louisa.

Hi Louisa - do you have the planning app case number? Nothing is coming up on the Planning search website for this address. Or is it an April Fool?! The address on the document on the link is 218 ? 222 Rye Lane. This is the former Maximus, now boarded up.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...