East Dulwich Pool (Fusion Gym)

bri

I love the East Dulwich Pool. Everytime I pass it I have a quick prayer that the refurb will not ruin it. There is no greater pleasure than swimming there on a sunny morning with the sunlight beaming down through the water.The staff are great too and it upsets me that the council do not respect them or the fabric of the beautiful building.

Mightroar- you say that normal folk don't get laughed at but what's normal?!

I do about a mile in 45/50 mins, although only about 40% crawl, the rest I tend to do strenuous breast stroke. To be honest, I probably don't really push myself hard enough...

Also haven't really been for a while and am really out of shape.

I'm tempted to do something like this but am terrified!

Otherwise, has anyone any opinions on brixton rec? I'm in W. Norwood now so it's quite handy for the way home from work (which would be about 6/6.30). Is it v. busy/scuzzy?

OOOOOh is the pool still open at East Dulwich (the one on Goose Green)?

I can NEVER get through on the phone to find out, and their steps aren't friendly to a laaaady with a baaaaby so haven't been able to go in and ask, but am desperate to start swimming (whilst aforementioned baby is being babysat!).

Aye, tis still open. I went last night for the first time in ages and it didn't seem too scuzzy in line with some of these comments above. It's hardly shiny and pristine either, but I'm not easily offended in the cleanliness stakes. I was once priviliged enough to encounter a dead cockroach in the pool, but that was ages back so don't let that put you off! It's all good for building up the immune system if you ask me anyhow.

Here are the swim times...

http://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/Documents/2009/Dulwich_Pool%20Jan%202009.pdf

As a personal gripe, it really bugs me how they have women only swims on a Thursday. It was a large majority of women last night anyway, so I don't see the point.

Rowanofski Wrote:

> As a personal gripe, it really bugs me how they

> have women only swims on a Thursday. It was a

> large majority of women last night anyway, so I

> don't see the point.

I believe that one of the reasons for the women only swim is that some women of certain religions are not allowed to be seen by men who are outside their family. If there wasn't the privacy of a woman only swim they would be unable to exercise.

Rowanofski Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hmph. I guess I can't argue the case on that note

> really (except suggesting a jog?). What about the

> lifeguards though? Are they female attendants

> only?

I used go to the women only swim on a Sunday morning and the pool staff were women.