Good choir recommendations please!

Pergamenta

Hi EDFers (not being rude honest!) I'm new to the forum but not to ED. I've been thinking of joining a choir for ages. Does anyone have experience of either Goose Green community choir or Note-Orious? If so which would you say was the most fun?

Hello and welcome to ED! I've been in the GG Community Choir for about 2 years and I really enjoy it. I would say that our approach is quite different from Note-Orious, we're quite a bit smaller and I would say probably a bit less formal (that is no criticism of Note-orious!) so it really depends what you are looking for and what suits you. At GG we normally encourage people to come along and try a session before they join up so if I were you I would try both out and see which you prefer! No substitute for just pitching up (no pun intended) and trying it out. Good luck and hope to meet you one Tuesday evening.

Hi Pergamenta, have to start by saying I am biased as I'm the manager of Note-Orious ! Have a look at our website www.note-orious.co.uk and our Facebook page and You Tube Chanel Note-Orious Choir to get a flavour of us. We rehearse on Monday nights upstairs at the EDT and usually end up in the pub after, we're a very social bunch.

We're performing in the Festival of Choirs at JAGS on the 15th May, part of the Dulwich Festival, so come along and see us.

If you are interested email us on [email protected]

I'm fairly biased too as I'm the membership secretary of the goose green choir! If you can, as Hoipolloi says, try out different choirs and see what suits you in terms of song choices, sociability and also practically, i.e. rehearsal times. Good luck and hope to see you one Tuesday!

There is also the Dulwich Folk Choir which over the last couple of years has also been involved in a number of community events, for example singing songs connected with knitting and weaving in Dulwich Park.

It meets (during term time) on Tuesday nights, upstairs in the EDT (the pub on Goose Green roundabout) from 7 - 9pm.

It is led by the lovely Aimee Leonard, originally from Orkney.

Please PM me if you'd like her contact details, but you can just turn up. It's a very friendly choir - but as its name suggests, it mainly sings folk songs, not pop songs!

You don't have to read music, everything is taught by ear, and you can do whatever part you want for each song.

No auditions, anybody is welcome.

On your choir crawl, do pop in to a Popchoir rehearsal at St Barnabus Church Hall in Dulwich Village 8pm on Wednesday nights during term time. The choir is also performing at the Dulwich Festival this Sunday, if you want to see the sort of stuff we do. It's a large and thriving choir - I've enjoyed singing in it for over 5 years now.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but even though I'm an avowed Note-Orian, and therefore a little biased, I know you would find loads of fun and a brilliant sense of community at any of Note-Orious, Goose Green or Nunhead choirs (and the others mentioned here that I'm not familiar with). Definitely try a free taster session with each of them, I'm sure you'll get a sense of the best fit quite quickly. But in general I can't recommend enough being part of a local choir for feeling connected to the area where you live and finding friendship and support around you. As well as all the fun music stuff. Hope to see you soon!

• 3 weeks later...