Laptop Squatters (especially Cafe Nero in Lordship Lane)

keano77 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes drives me mad too. The modern equivalent of

> tramps keeping warm and reading newspapers in

> libraries.

Bravo. Another ignorant way to create stigma around homeless people. As someone who works frontline with homeless people in Southwark I know what a refuge and amazing resource the library is for homeless people. Not only to keep warm but to use the facilities to try and get themselves out of their situation by using the computer to look for accommodation and jobs.

If that 'drives you mad' I feel pretty sorry for you pal.

totally agree ianc

I think people seem to forget that there is a voice present in all of us

If you want to sit down with your caramel macchiato then ask a 'laptop squatter' to politely move there bag so you can sit as well

seems logical

I think it's highly unlikely these laptop squatters are surfing the East dulwich forum so seems pointless complaining about them on here

Let's just use the good old fashioned method of speech

It's worked for the last 2 million years

From a technical aspect, the squatters could be controlled by a time limit on their browsing based on the MAC identity of their laptops.

That the coffee shops choose not to do this is a different issue. Perhaps they reckon that if spaces are limited their offerings appear to be in demand and are sought after. And maybe those customers who came in for a sit down coffee might just opt for a take-away coffee.

Either way they win.

GG

Dulwichdarling Wrote:

> totally agree ianc

> I think people seem to forget that there is a

> voice present in all of us

> If you want to sit down with your caramel

> macchiato then ask a 'laptop squatter' to politely

> move there bag so you can sit as well

> seems logical

> I think it's highly unlikely these laptop

> squatters are surfing the East dulwich forum so

> seems pointless complaining about them on here

> Let's just use the good old fashioned method of

> speech

> It's worked for the last 2 million years

I think Coffee shops are redesigning to some point

Starbucks has communal tables (the others might end up laptop free IMHO)

Dulwichdarling Wrote:

> Umm okay....

> What is your point?

In terms of table sharing - this country probably is one of the most awkward

countries to do that - imagine the horror if someone sat with you when there

are other empty tables.

I've shared when places are full - but then if suddenly all the tables empty

- do you stay or move - very British questions and in other countries people

don't worry about them (maybe people younger than 40 don't here) :)

Communal tables are becoming popular all over however - McDonalds has gone all

communal I notice.

LJ23 Wrote:

> keano77 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yes drives me mad too. The modern equivalent of

> > tramps keeping warm and reading newspapers in

> > libraries.

> Bravo. Another ignorant way to create stigma

> around homeless people. As someone who works

> frontline with homeless people in Southwark I know

> what a refuge and amazing resource the library is

> for homeless people. Not only to keep warm but to

> use the facilities to try and get themselves out

> of their situation by using the computer to look

> for accommodation and jobs.

>

> If that 'drives you mad' I feel pretty sorry for

> you pal

Great post.

As someone who has in the past been unemployed for a period of time as well as setting up my own business, coffee shops with free wifi were an essential part of getting me through both phases.

You cannot imagine how depressing it is to sit at home, working by yourself, with just quiet. I found myself most productive when I had some white noise - if you think about most office environments, there is always white noise in the background and I guess I'd gotten used to that.

Just getting out of the house also freed me up from distractions at home. In a coffee shop, all you can do is focus on your work (unless of course you bump into someone you know and then there goes the rest of the afternoon...)

You might find it frustrating when you pop in once every fortnight for your coffee to find me "squatting", but the truth is I "squat" there multiple times a week, often when the place is empty like on a Tuesday morning, and I buy more coffee and food over a course of a month than you would going in every 2 weeks. That is why coffee shops offer free wifi - we might only order one cup every few hours, but we do it regularly over time.

The solution is not to ban laptop squatters or take away the wifi - it is to have more coffee shops in the neighbourhood, so everyone can be satisfied.

Using public Wi-Fi for business can be hazardous...

There are serious security issues and other people could be stealing your data..

It's pretty easy for someone who wants to intercept your data in a man-in-the-middle attack to set up a network called "Free Wi-Fi" or any other variation that includes a nearby venue name, to make you think it's a legitimate source.

If you are connecting via Windows, make sure to turn off file sharing and mark the Wi-Fi connection as a public network.

You can find this option in the Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings.

Under the Public heading, turn off the file sharing toggle.

You may also want to turn on the Windows Firewall when connecting to a public network if it's not already activated. These settings are also found in Control Panel > Windows Firewall.

Full article.. :- http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/tips-to-stay-safe-on-public-wi-fi/

DulwichFox

Good advice, Foxy, especially marking public Wifi networks properly. And you should always have Windows Firewall on anyway, public network or otherwise.)

Https generally foils MitM attacks, but there is more comprehensive solution: VPN. Mine costs USD40 a year and you are safe from prying eyes (assuming you trust your VPN provider). And you have the added advantage of being able to change countries to take advantage of things like US Netflix or back to the UK when you are overseas to pick up iPlayer.

It's Caffe Nero, CAFFE - double F

If you're all going to bang on about it so much, can you at least get the name right. Sheesh.

I rate the Gowlett for daytime working - plenty of room, nice pint and a pizza for lunch. Splendid.