Laptop Squatters (especially Cafe Nero in Lordship Lane)

Finchley Central was heated circa 2002, the waiting rooms were a no-go area due to being packed with tramps as soon as the station opened. I used to see Charlie Brooker during his PC Zone phase around there in the late 90s.

Back to coffee though, our North American cousins have far outpaced us in this battlefield as evidenced in the latter images of this rather nice piece:

http://ihateworkinginretail.ooid.com/24-times-starbucks-was-too-much-to-handle/

As someone who used to be self-employed and living in East Dulwich I have to point out that Caffe Nero is the only place you can really work - it's not possible anywhere else, so if it bothers you that much why not just go to one of the other million coffee places on Lordship Lane! It's not freeloading, it's just a way of getting out of the house, not everyone can have a lovely office to work in. Also, I'm quite sure that if you ask someone for a chair they'd be more than happy to give it to you.

Interviews are often conducted in coffee shops because the companies we (the interviewers) work for no-longer have enough meeting rooms for us to be able to reliably book one for the interview. A meeting with an external client will often trump an interview, so we get ejected. This is widespread, as far as I can tell. The alternative would be to postpone the interview, which is hardly good for either side of the arrangement.

As far as laptop users in coffee shops go though... I feel this is another of the issues people think can be resolved by reporting it on here, instead of just speaking to the people involved. Our agreement on here about what *should* happen will never be reflected entirely in the wider world. Just talk to people, ask them to move their bags, etc. Really, you'll be amazed how helpful (and probably embarrassed) many folks will be.

And if the guilty party are involved in an interview, feel sorry for the candidate. They're the one getting the rough end of the deal :-)

If they really wanted to, coffee shops could impose a time limit on wifi usage per device. All devices have a unique MAC address, and you could set a 1 hour (or less) limit, with a 24-hour return time. It would be sad to see this happen, but it's hardly as if they're powerless to prevent wifi squatters; perhaps yet more proof that squatters are economically viable for them.

ianc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If they really wanted to, coffee shops could

> impose a time limit on wifi usage per device. All

> devices have a unique MAC address, and you could

> set a 1 hour (or less) limit, with a 24-hour

> return time. It would be sad to see this happen,

> but it's hardly as if they're powerless to prevent

> wifi squatters; perhaps yet more proof that

> squatters are economically viable for them.

I'm beginning to use 4G instead and turn WiFi off when coffeeing

(for my phone) - the performance is pretty bad these days - and they

record the sites you visit..

And make sure your Certificate is right - would not take much to fake a

hotspot in a coffee shop.

Still unsure on the main topic - suppose it's OK if the Cafe isn't rammed full.

Today I saw one of the Salesman in the Starbucks near work pick up an empty

cup when he sat down next to me. His meeting then turned up and cancelled.

He kicked the table :)

If you've never been a sole business owner, let me tell you that working from home loses its gloss after around 3 months. Believe me, you'll look on Caf? Nero (or any of the chains of coffee places) as way more conducive to work than staring at the same 4 white walls at home for yet another day.

ianc Wrote:

> If you've never been a sole business owner, let me

> tell you that working from home loses its gloss

> after around 3 months. Believe me, you'll look on

> Caf? Nero (or any of the chains of coffee places)

> as way more conducive to work than staring at the

> same 4 white walls at home for yet another day.

That would mean we'd need more space in places such as Nero (or more coffee

houses or use the pubs) as more people are working from home - half my office

do now (which makes work lonely).

it's not the business guys but the interviewers that I have now twigged

and can't stop noticing - they sell insurance to customers who don't

really want to be there (you can see in the body language).

ED is OK compared to Central (Places always full - but you find somewhere)

I'm a free wifi surfer, all over East and often West/Central London. I bought a Mac Book Air specially for it Foxy

Never once had anyone ask me to go/move. Mind you I don't use Nero (eww, too many sales reps on nasty company laptops)or any of that ilk

They 'the coffee shops' positively encourage it and hand you a password when you ask

I'm gathering the op is jealous of those liberated from the classic office set up

Ha

working from home in a coffee shop is pants, nosey people try to see what you're doing (and you probably shouldn't have a lot of the intellectual material you're working on out on display anyway).

Best to make sure you've a sensible set-up (ie. posture) at home, then get on with your WORK.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I bought a Mac Book Air specially for it

>

> > too many sales reps on nasty company laptops)or

> any of that ilk

>

> Apple victim...

Ha ha ha...

*reels in*

ianc Wrote:

> If they really wanted to, coffee shops could impose a time limit on wifi usage per device. All

> devices have a unique MAC address, and you could set a 1 hour (or less) limit, with a 24-hour

> return time.

... and really quite trivial to work around, if you know basic networking.

Actually, Foxy, it's damn useful on the train to Leeds, when you only get 15 mins free and the trip is over 2 hours.

There are a couple more gotchas. Cookies can get in the way as well.