Dulwich Park Hazards

Al&Em

I have to laugh hollowly at these complaints. The Park these days is a blissful haven....as almost anyone who recalls the days when cars were allowed in and packed the perimeter road as a car park will attest. *Usually* the hire bikes stick to the perimeter road or wider paths, as do the roller bladers. I'm just glad these little tykes have somewhere safe and traffic-free to let off steam: ditto all the little pink, tassled barbie bikes around the playground. It's a park and there's lots of it dammit!

Those three-wheelers bikes do seem to pose something of a problem, no-one ever seems to be in complete control of them - but it also tends to be show-off fathers racing sons and wiping out in spectacular fashion. Saw one dad roll one once and hurt himself quite badly - both his sons drew up alongside the bloody wreckage and laughed at him!!!

I regularily cycle in parks in London on my way to work and it's not dogs but suicidal squirrels you have to watch out for - they will quite happily stay perfectly still allowing you to pass at a safe distance only to then throw themselves towards the front wheel of the bike in a manner that suggests the nut harvest is not what it once was.

Those three-wheelers bikes do seem to pose something of a problem, no-one ever seems to be in complete control of them - but it also tends to be show-off fathers racing sons and wiping out in spectacular fashion. Saw one dad roll one once and hurt himself quite badly - both his sons drew up alongside the bloody wreckage and laughed at him!!!

I regularily cycle in parks in London on my way to work and it's not dogs but suicidal squirrels you have to watch out for - they will quite happily stay perfectly still allowing you to pass at a safe distance only to then throw themselves towards the front wheel of the bike in a manner that suggests the nut harvest is not what it once was.

The signs pertaining to dogs have no legal back-up in that there aren't any bye-laws to enforce them. There are merely there in the hope that you obey them. Same goes for Peckham Rye. However if your dog is out of control, and it is debatable what that is, then you can be summoned to court and fined etc. Biting and knocking someone over or off their bike would probably fall under that category. The signs relating to dog fouling are legally enforceable though.

I have never noticed signs on the carriageway around the perimeter of the park stating that dogs must be kept on leads and I am there most days with my fabulous Portuguese Water Dog. When you get to the part of the road close to the lake, there is a sign that states dogs are not permitted into the park near the lake without a lead.

The perimeter carriageway is not a velodrome. It is used by horseriders, runners and dog walkers. The park is much safer now than when cars were permitted to use the carriageway. Cyclists should be careful to avoid pets, the park is there for all to enjoy and it should be big enough for everyone.

This topic was in the

news recently.

First Mate, kind of what I was thinking.....the Portuguese Water Dogs look like big cockerpoos. Although DM did say she told people she had a labradoodle as she didn't like saying the word cockerpoo. Show us a picture DM!

As you can imagine, I would never admit to owning a...(whispers)...cockapoo (OHMYGOD!). I am the mother of young impressionable children, and I am a lady.

You can see clearly from the photo, this is a Portuguese Water Dog, and I shall box anyone's ears who says he is not (stamps foot)!

I was bitten by a little dog in Dulwich Park a couple years ago and the owner apologised and told me that he'd never done it before. That made me feel a little better.

Dez - I was bitten by the same dog - the owner also said I was the first. Could we start an action group, one of us has been lied to.

DM, your little barker looks like a Bichpoo -Bichon x Poodle. That's an even better name than Cockapoo or Cockerpoo n'est-ce pas? Are you going to the Dog Day Arf-ternoon in Warwick Gardens? Or is that out of your comfort zone?