Foxtons - the shit hits the fan

steveo

The commonality with both angles Fox is that they both wholly negative approaches.

As opposed to Jeremy's post above which is open minded and positive.

A bit of realism is fine. But for the sane 90% on here, repetitive debate on the ills of gentrification is dull.

Change the record.

I think we all realise that it is happening. We've then debated the subject ad nauseam in detail, from multiple angles and life perspectives.

The question is how much more value can you wring out of it? Apart from just using it as blow in bait for your own amusement of course.

Dig deep.

That's the thing, yes it does have some light hearted amusement attached to it, especially in its early stages. But when it's hitting home and great businesses are changing hands and more importantly being aimed at a different clientele, then it no longer is funny. Where do all the older generation who used this pub go from here if the new look pub is foodie aimed and you're not allowed to nurse a pint at the bar? It's all the little things like that which aren't about being negative, it's about being practical MrBen. I guess they'll have to just jump a cab to Nunhead now. Who cares eh?

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

... and you're not allowed to nurse a pint at the bar?

No wonder these places are so 'successful'.

I can't think of a single reason why they'd need to change the business model.

Louisa Wrote:

> MrBen from your logic we've had the gentrification

> debate, so let's brush it under the carpet and

> pretend it's not happening?

>

> Louisa.

It's happened. Move on. The "older generation" have seen an enormous amount of change already in their lifetime and are more resilient than you appear to give them credit for.

Louisa Wrote:

> FFS why can't anything successful just be left

> alone? This pub is one of the last proper boozers

> in the area it wouldn't hurt to leave something be

> would it? It currently does one of the best roast

> dinners in the area anyway,

No it doesn't, its roast dinners are rubbish.

Cheap and a lot of it, but remind me of my school dinners in the early sixties, and believe me that is not a pleasant memory :(

Friendly pub, but not somewhere I would willingly choose to go and eat.

Sue Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > FFS why can't anything successful just be left

> > alone? This pub is one of the last proper

> boozers

> > in the area it wouldn't hurt to leave something

> be

> > would it? It currently does one of the best

> roast

> > dinners in the area anyway,

>

>

No it doesn't, its roast dinners are rubbish.

>

> Cheap and a lot of it, but remind me of my school

> dinners in the early sixties, and believe me that

> is not a pleasant memory :(

>

> Friendly pub, but not somewhere I would willingly

> choose to go and eat.

I don't remember having Roast dinners at my school. But then I did not go to school on a Sunday.

People I know speak highly of the Sunday Roast at the White Horse. But they are very ordinary people

like myself.. and a bit Old. You know. Pensioner types.. They'll eat anything you put in front of them.

Foxy

Louisa Wrote:

> MrBen from your logic we've had the gentrification

> debate, so let's brush it under the carpet and

> pretend it's not happening?

>

> Louisa.

It's a reasonable debate to have (and not inappropriate in the context of this particular thread). I think where people have rightly got annoyed in the past, is when threads are repeatedly diverted off topic into a 'gentrification' rant.

Well I don't think I've personally diverted any threads into a gentrification rant since my rising like a Phoenix from the ashes, following my spat with admin and the consequent lounging. If anything, as you say rah, a thread talking about Foxtons surely is the ideal place for discussing gentrification? I know the White Horse is a separate issue, and we don't know all the details about its takeover yet, but it certainly feels like it's going to be linked in with gentrification.

Louisa.

I'm basically with Louisa on this one. There are plenty of things happening in Peckham, and it's not like the White Horse is sitting empty like the CPT used to do all day.

But the fact is the management are giving it up, so they are to blame for the fact it's gonna change. (I don't mean that in a nasty way)

Would be nice if the new owners thought to themselves that there are now quite a few places around for the yoots, and perhaps they could cater for the older crowd.

Jeremy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > like myself.. and a bit Old. You know.

> Pensioner

> > types.. They'll eat anything you put in front of

> them.

>

> Except pizza.

No.. They will eat Pizza. Its only me that doesn't like Pizza..

There must be food you don't like. Don't eat...

It's not being negative not to like something..

Foxy

> > DulwichFox Wrote:

> No.. They will eat Pizza. Its only me that doesn't

> like Pizza..

> There must be food you don't like. Don't eat...

>

> It's not being negative not to like something..

>

> Foxy

Go on ...tell us more. We're all dying to hear it. Literally.

Re: The White Horse. Hogie has decided to leave and sell up after 33 years. He ran a fine old school boozer. His son is going to run another pub in the area and he'll be part of that. I like the pub, especially for Hank Dog's Easycome music nights on Wednesday. It's that club that I'm more concerned about as it will possibly have to move. Recently, I've enjoyed sets in there from people like Dave Mankind, The Petrels, Misty Miller and her brother Rufus, a couple of members of Fat White Family (Saul and Lias) and another local legend Flameproof Moth. So it's not all old farts in there. I'm hoping that the new owners can create a decent mix of old and new and keep everyone happy.