The East Dulwich Forum

Earl Aelfheah

The Quiet Room. Dulwichmum, Batdog, Mrs Dobbin the Lactating Donkey. Things were better in the old days.

I found the Forum about 3 months in. Was at one of the first Forum drinks (at the Mag, as was) and am proud to say that it was a result of my hissy fits that the Lounge was created.

Also started the Curry Club 81/2 year ago ...

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> TillieTrotter Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Seems we all laughed a lot more back in the day.

> I

> > wonder if it was because of the monthly piss

> ups?

> > Maybe they should be brought back.

>

>

> I was thinking about some of those nights the

> other day. Some really good times, I'd be up for

> one if enough people signed up.

I enjoyed them when I first went, but I felt they got a bit cliquey.

Maybe that was just me being unsociable though.

I'm not really great at meeting and chatting to new people, so spent most of the drinks either outside chain smoking, or under the influence of something you couldn't buy behind the bar.

Mike, that one at the Mag was THE first ever one. I was there for a bit but think I ran away back to the safety of the CPT.

But still met lots of people that to this day (and bare in mind these events were 8 years ago) range from good friends, to people I might see occasionally, to Facebook friends. I am pleased to have met them all.

I didn't go for the first two years I was posting when most people thought I was an argumentative troll, so in the end I had to go along to confirm this.

Some were great (I actually quite liked some of the smaller ones) some less so. I remember a couple of decent ones in the CPT, Upstairs in the EDT, the Phoenix and the Clockhouse. Becuase I posted a lot then the first one was easy as people were keen to put a name to a face after that they were a bit hit or miss depending who you chatted to etc.

By the end I tended to just chat to the same old faces which was a bit anti-social and cliquey but some posters were truly welcoming to new poeple showing up - SeanyMac?SJ stands out as always making a effort to welcome people. Didn't really miss them when they stopped but seing a lot of old faces at ElPibe's leaving do (itself quite a long time ago) did make me nostalgic for them.

Cliffs: Would go to a reunion if someone can be arsed to organise; wouldn't go to regular meet ups now

I remember a particularly good one in the Phoenix and upstairs at EDT, also the Gowlett and even a lively evening at the Plough which I've probably only been in once since.

And yes, SJ was one of the people who made a particular effort to chat to us newbies, as was Cliff. Pretty sure I got first chatting to MrBen at one of the earlyish ones, and recall meeting Quids at least once.. (probably more but my memories are a little blurred... either by time or alcohol!).

I do recall being introduced to Otta and discovering the flat I was renting was previously a squat he'd spent time hanging out in some years earlier which was quite amusing. (Underneath the surface it was still a bit of a dump - the landlady used to paint over the damp in between tenants and acting all shocked when it reappeared as I found out from a previous tenant, but it wasn't worth arguing with a barrister over - knew I'd come off worse!)

???? Wrote:

> Would go to a reunion if someone can be

> arsed to organise; wouldn't go to regular meet ups

> now

Same here. I don't get enough opportunities to go out to commit to a regular thing, but would definitely be up for a one off, especially if we could tempt a few people *waves at lurking Strafer* to visit for the night.

indiepanda Wrote:

> KalamityKel Wrote:

> -----

> > Jah Lush Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > No thanks. Count me out. I much prefer my

> > relative

> > > anonymity these days.

> >

> > It does make the morning after standing at the

> bus

> > stop on way to work a little awkward... ;-)

>

> What did you get up to at the drinks??! ;-)

Wish I could remember! I'm not overly convinced some people's version of events can be trusted ;-)

To reminisce - Certainly some interesting nights from the drinks, more particularly in the earlier times, and lots of friendly faces.

Otta Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> -----

> > Would go to a reunion if someone can be arsed to organise; wouldn't go to regular meet ups now

>

>

> Same here. I don't get enough opportunities to go out to commit to a regular thing, but would

> definitely be up for a one off, especially if we could tempt a few people *waves at lurking

> Strafer* to visit for the night.

So if someone were to volunteer to organise a reunion (i.e. me!), when would be best to do it to maximize attendance?

For example, I know we used to meet on Fridays, but would Saturdays be better if we are going to tempt some people who now live out of London to make the journey to join us?

Is summer going to be a bit of a write off with people going away on holidays? I know we won't find one date that will work for everyone but I seem to recall the old forum drinks used to get a better attendance outside of summer. Plus If it's a one off, it'd be nice to give plenty of notice and try to get as many people as possible.

Saturday would be good (especially if Dulwich Hamlet were playing at home).

I'd be happy with 25th July as it's my birthday weekend and would give me something to do with no need to arrange. But as you say, people will be on holidays...

Dare I say it sounds like one of those things that was good of it's time and best left that way? I'm glad for the hardcore of people who made them what they were. Georgia for organising things...Sean Mac for basically being super welcoming, pretense fee and connecting people. Only went to a few but they were a ramshackle motley affair that were either brilliant or so so. Kind of wish I'd made the earlier ones as those are the ones people seem to hark back to.

People always start talking about cliques but the people I met and still know were all actually very different and I liked that. Take quids, otta and SJ for example. All different in their own ways/outlooks and fine fellows indeed.

The one at the Phoenix seemed the best but I had to leave early and missed the fun. The Xmas drinks that became "snubgate" was the most hilarious one...people seemed to confuse a gathering of randoms from a local website in a pokey downstairs bar with the Oscars...with seismic results!