Night tube starting in September 2015 (Anyone else feel a bit disappointed?)

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bic Basher Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If anything we should be trying to get the

> > Overground to run overnight to Peckham Rye,

> > Denmark Hill, Forest Hill and HOP.

>

> I would love the Overground to run through the

> night, but can't see it ever happening due to

> noise.

>

Over my chained-to-the-rails-in-protest body! For exactly that reason.

Because they might have stood a better chance of getting to work or wherever they wanted to go on time in reasonable comfort without having to get up considerably earlier than they needed to. I thought that this was obvious and wouldn't need explaining, KKK. But clearly I was wrong.

Or are you one of those people who want ED to return to how it was 20-30 years ago?

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I would love the Overground to run through the

> night

>

> How often would you use it? Couple of times a

> year?

That's amitious, we currently manage one gig a year if we're lucky.

But on those one or two nights I'd love to have the option of the Overground.

But due to noise I know it is very unlikely to ever happen and that's fair enough (although I'll be keeping an eye on tube lines that go overground as they get out of Central London to see whether they ever go 24 hours in those areas).

Annoying though they currently are, the improvements to London Bridge and Thameslink will be of benefit ? and in a shorter time than putting in the Tube would be. The only difference with 20-30 years ago is that the train service in the evening at weekends used to be poor to non-existent. As long as we keep pushing for as frequent a service as possible for ED, I'm happy with what we have here. Try living near the Tube below Clapham South and tell me there isn't a problem with comfort or having to leave early.

I got a survey though the post the other day from MORI/Ipsos (?) all about local transport and roads etc in SE22. I filled it in, saying I was broadly satisfied but that more buses (and more express services and one or two fewer stops) are needed.

Really don't know why it takes so long for Tubes to be extended etc. I'm glad that it's not China or somesuch where people's wishes are not always taken into account, let alone their rights, but I really can't see why it'd take fifteen years to extend an underground line.

Perhaps my views have been formed by my earlier experiences. I grew up in an area of N London which was near two Underground lines and where you just turned up at the station without having to consult a timetable first. Moving to S E London (Greenwich) was a big culture shock, with a relatively infrequent British Rail suburban service and (at that time) no DLR and Overground.

Things have improved and I use the Overground a lot, since I live between Forest Hill and Denmark Hill. However, an extension of the Victoria or Bakerloo Lines closer to ED would be a great boon.

Before they broke London Bridge, the national rail trains were every 10 minutes, which for me is basically a turn-up-and-go service. Pretty much as frequent as some of the tube lines.

The overground (at least from DH/PR) is only every 15 minutes, which I think is disappointingly infrequent... but then it's a shared line, so maybe as good as we can expect.

It is supposed to get better in time. I think first step is 2 more trains to Crystal Palace each hour though. They need to make it later and get rid of the 30 min gaps at night.

At least the Victoria trains from DH are far more frequent, especially in the morning peak where there are a good few new ones. All packed, so it shows 'build and they will come' for the area.

Agree with the above poster - London in general has far too many bus stops, too close together.

Would be nice if the overground trains continued towards Denmark hill beyond 11:40 pm at night...not sure we need a tube, but can't understand why East London/North London trains can run untill much later than trains running South.