BT is not the only fruit??

dulwichdreadlocks

Virgin install phone lines, broadband, tv, etc.... and you don't need a BT line.

My initial experience with them wasn't great - they failed to turn up on two installation dates - but installation worked out at ?30 if I remember rightly; and their overall package was much cheaper.

We converted to Virgin about a month ago. I don't really like their television setup but the broadband is a lot faster. The Virgin technician knew exactly what he was doing compared to the B.T bloke. However, when I got a B.T land line they quoted me at ?100 pounds but the technician was late and they knocked of some money for the return visit.

This is from the BT website:

"If your house has had a BT phone service in the recent past and the line still has a dialling tone, it's likely it won't cost you anything to get your line working again (you can check for dial tone by plugging a telephone into the BT socket and lifting the receiver). You'll just have to pay your line rental (either monthly or quarterly), cost of calls, and for any additional services you require from BT."

However, when previous occupants leave and close their account, BT 'cut off' the service - no dial tone = reconnection charge. If the flat you are moving into already has a functioning BT line, I suggest you call their customer service people, draw their attention to the statement above, and don't give up until they agree to waive the charge. You will have to ask to be 'escalated' to the highest level complaints team. Either that or ask about deals whereby they don't charge to reconnect if you take out an 18 month contract.