Will you / Should we vote on Thursday?

Marmora Man

I will - despite the understandable anger & disgust at MPs behaviour over expenses I believe it is important that as many people as possible get out to vote and exercise their democratic right. Note: - a spoilt ballot paper cam be a valid expression of political will, while declining to vote is harder to call.

I will - despite the understandable anger & disgust at MPs behaviour over expenses I believe it is important that as many people as possible get out to vote and exercise their democratic right. Note: - a spoilt ballot paper cam be a valid expression of political will, while declining to vote is harder to call.

I will vote, although I'm not sure who for yet.

Does anyone know how your vote is counted if you do not spoil it but also do not mark a vote for any of the candidates? A friend of mine was putting it forward as a way of saying none of the above thank you whilst not leaving all the voting to BNP supporters.

I will vote, although I'm not sure who for yet.

Does anyone know how your vote is counted if you do not spoil it but also do not mark a vote for any of the candidates? A friend of mine was putting it forward as a way of saying none of the above thank you whilst not leaving all the voting to BNP supporters.

Even a spoiled ballot paper could be argued to be empowering the extremist parties. Extremists and angry people who've been swayed by recent events and publicity will vote. Woolly unsures and can't-be-bothereders won't vote. A vote for a mainstream party you can bear or another small non-insane party is a better choice IMO.

MTo answer Ted Max's question "What does this election have to do with MPs?"

MEP's expenses make Westminster's shenanigans look petty. Many commentators are expecting a very low turnout because of general disillusionment with the political class.

I get two votes, which has to be dodgy.

I reckon green here and in Spain Izquierda Anticapitalista - Revolta Global or Por in Munro mad Justo.

Count yourselves lucky you only have to contend with the BNP here, we have the Falange de las JONS and the Falange Autentica. God knows the difference but both of them are truly nasty pieces of work in a country that doesn't see an issue with blacking up at formula one races *shudders*

(EDIT - reply to MM) I know. I was trying to make a point that it would be nice if this election were not dominated by this domestic situation.

Euro election turnouts are v low anyway. I started a thread on this election ages ago and no-one gave much of a toss, nor could explain what the shifting allegiances to the various umbrella parties really meant, nor what the parties were campaigning on. Still couldn't, I'd wager - just a week before we vote. "Sod 'em all, it makes no difference who you vote for" was the gist, and this was long before the Telegraph wrote out its large cheque to Tory fundraising officer John Wick.

So inevitably this election will be played out as the "expenses row election", something that will only further the "democratic deficit" and ignorance of what we are really voting for/ against.

Forgive me for throwing my two pennies worth in gents. Ted, essentially I agree with you in the sense that even I don't much care for the European elections, not that I'm eurosceptic, I just couldn't be arsed. However, surely if the two elections do bounce the controversial yet tiresome subject surely this will lend publicity to an election that so often goes under the radar.

Ted, essentially I agree with you in the sense that even I don't much care for the European elections, not that I'm eurosceptic, I just couldn't be arsed.

I do care about the elections. Or perhaps you agree with my view that nobody else much cares about them.

As for using the expenses scandal to raise awareness of the election? Well, yes, but as most people's reaction is likely to be "sod 'em even more, and harder" I'm not sure there's going to be a net gain.

I agree with your view that nobody else much cares. Free publicity is good publicity and with respect to your 'sod em even more and harder' we can only hope that this attitude in sensible hands will reinforce the desire to change the cavalier 'it's none of your business' attitude and regulations of those in charge. If not now but in years to come as change doesn't come over night.

espelli Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I will vote, although I'm not sure who for yet.

>

> Does anyone know how your vote is counted if you

> do not spoil it but also do not mark a vote for

> any of the candidates?

It will be counted as a spoiled ballot.

(I was an official election observer the first year this was allowed in the UK, and have seen a lot of returning officers interpreting ballots.)

louisiana Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> espelli Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I will vote, although I'm not sure who for yet.

>

> >

> > Does anyone know how your vote is counted if

> you

> > do not spoil it but also do not mark a vote for

> > any of the candidates?

>

> It will be counted as a spoiled ballot.

>

> (I was an official election observer the first

> year this was allowed in the UK, and have seen a

> lot of returning officers interpreting ballots.)

Also I was told at a City Hall ballot workshop a few years ago that offering a 'none of the above' option on the ballot - as they do in Australia and elsewhere - would be politically unacceptable in the UK. This is really the option you seek espelli.

Thank you Louisiana, that has made everything much clearer.

I agree with Ladygooner and was brought up to believe that I had a duty to vote out of respect for those who died so that I could have the choice.

London Candidates list This lists all the parties and independents standing in London. Does anyone know anything about Jury Team or Libertas.eu? Is it worth voting for either of them or will it split the vote so the BNP gets a bigger share of the vote and therefore a seat or two?

Jury Team was set up as an umbrella for independents. Founded by Sir Paul Judge (hence the Jury name) - a former Tory fundraiser and donor, with the one-time title of Director General of the party. He sued the Guardian for libel and lost, over allegations regarding the party retaining funding from Asil Nadir, despite it being against the rules.

Just the chap, then, to clear up the sty.