Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alex K Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Grey squirrels -- the only kind around here

>

> How can you be sure of that Alex? I'm sure I saw a

> red one at East Dulwich Station not that long ago.

Must have been your rose tinted specs 'cos there are certainly no greys anywhere near London. It could possibly have swum from the Isle of Wight or Anglesey or taken the train from North Yorkshire's pine forests.

http://rsst.org.uk/about-us/faqs/

The other point to note is that the Greys are riddled with Squirrel pox virus and Adenovirus - not something you want expose yourself to.

The Greys are bigger and more aggressive than the Reds but what really did for the poor Reds was the Squirrel Pox the Greys brought from America see- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirrel_parapoxvirus

Happy huntin', folks.

Don't drown it. If you trap one alive and don't want to dispatch it yourself take it to the RSPCA (1 Camberwell Station Road, Camberwell, LONDON, SE5 9JJ) and make them dispose of it. Make sure you wear thick gloves, like gardening ones, as they'll try and bite you. The squirrels can be vicious too.

civilservant Wrote:

> Now I know what to do if I want to get rid of any

> of the cats that infest our garden

Squirrel trap won't do the business, and they don't normally go in for peanut butter. If you happen to need a cat trap, I have an uncle who has one he is not using any more. (No cat has been harmed before anyone gets upset - just a pair of cats who killed my uncle's moggy, safely removed to the local pound.)

Interested to know how the desquirrelation is coming along by the way.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> And I doubt any word of Green Goose's post is true

> as well.

Rubbish! You have no idea lady (?)

There is a very active anti-grey squirrel vigilant group. They are committed to assist the authorities with the extermination of these disease ridden vermin - as a means of protecting the few remaining native red squirrels.

AlexK is not a member but should he wish to apply, it is very likely that he would be accepted.

peckham_ryu Wrote:

>

> Squirrel trap won't do the business, and they

> don't normally go in for peanut butter. If you

> happen to need a cat trap, I have an uncle who has

> one he is not using any more.

>

In my book, squirrels leaving peanuts in flower pots is, well, peanuts compared to cats excreting in flower pots, as they love to do in my flower pots. So it is good to know that there are cat traps available.

Could I bait them with squirrels or mice? and would it be better to use live bait?

Any cats i catch will go straight on the barbie - after being humanely drowned, of course. You wouldn't happen to have any cooking instructions for them handy, would you?

Green Goose I am a full blooded male, and a happily married one with two kids at that. You are being provocative. Someone posted the law on what is deemed humane and what isn't and you still made suggestions in contradiction to that. You are being a bit of a troll here, and you know it. Personally I think the behaviour of some people is more disgraceful than anything any animal does, but if an animal has to be disposed of, then humane disposal is the mark of a civilised person.

OK Blah Blah, one man's humane method can be another man's inhumane method.

If you feel strongly about methods of despatching vermin, how do you feel about the halal method of killing nice gentle animals such as cows and sheep?

How do you feel about using fly spray? The flies go through agony.

How do get rid of the mice in your house. Do you use mouse/rat poison? The mice die slowly and painfully due to internal bleeding. Or would you only use poison on rats?

Do you use sticky traps for mice?

How about using sprung mouse traps? They don't always work the way intended and the poor mouse can live for days whilst it drags a trap along with it.

If you get bed bugs do you just let them be?

If you get wasps nesting in your loft do you get the pest controllers in to poison them or do you just live with the problem?

Back to the grey squirrels, I'd strongly recommend the dead fall trap used by the Paiute Indians as per photo instant despatch, no cruelty involved.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t643/savedelhi/piaute_zpsdtpb6wl9.jpg

Happy huntin', Alex

Alex K Wrote:

> Grey squirrels -- the only kind around here, at

> least now that they've infected and bullied the

> red ones into near-extirpation throughout England

Lets get one thing straight. If you read enough on the subject you will find that both red and grey squirrels can live in harmony. No bullying involved.

Green Goose,

I am a vegetarian and feel equally depressed by animals killed by Halal methods as I do animals being dragged to slaughterhouses and enduring equally horrendous deaths.

I never use fly spray or anything else to kill a fly. I open the window instead. Thry usally make their way out.

I have used harmless sonar in the past for mice, Again I would never use poison. Mice can be caught and relocated.

Never had bed bugs or a wasp nest in the loft.I once lived somewhere where there was a problem with ants and the treatment we went for was a gel that the workers would take back to the nest and render the queen infertile. A humane way to deplete the nest (wherever it was) and after about a month the problem was sorted and didn't come back.

I grew up in the country, and we kept horses. Flies and insects don't tend to bother country folk.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> I am a vegetarian and feel equally depressed by animals killed by Halal methods as I do animals

> being dragged to slaughterhouses and enduring equally horrendous deaths.

hear hear, blah blah!

Green Goose,

What has religion got to do with it? Why do you find it so hard to believe there are animal lovers around who would never harm anything. They are disgusted by the thought of killing things.

Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't make everyone else as heartless as you.

Everything that Blah Blah says above applies to me too. It's not that unusual or difficult to learn to live with all creatures that have just as much right to live as you do.

I've had ants in my front room occasionally and ignored them. They nest in the outside wall and I've watched them come under the skirting board and scurry around looking for crumbs. Then within a few weeks they all disappear and move on somewhere else. Totally harmless.

I had a wasps nest in my roof a couple of years ago. I ignored them too. Even though there were loads buzzing around me in the garden, they chose not to sting me. Probably because I wasn't flapping around getting stressed by them.

You don't have to dispose of anything but for those that really can't bring themselves to tolerate mice, insects etc. and feel that they have no choice but to kill, being humane is the most important thing.

Feeling just a little bit guilty or bad is good too. Taking pleasure in taking their lives and making jokes about it is a little bit sick.

Relocating mice is difficult as there are different opinions. Some say if you release them too close to home they'll return. If you release them far away, you're giving the mouse problem to someone else, if you release them in the middle of nowhere, they'll starve to death.

I had mice a few years ago. I used to leave things like crisps, chocolate, bread etc on shelves and worktops. The mice must've thought they were in heaven. They didn't even bother me that much

I used a humane box trap, caught 3 or 4 and released them on some waste ground at the end of my row of houses. Yes, they might have come back (maybe it was the same one I kept catching!), maybe they went to another house in the row and got caught in a trap, maybe they were killed by cats.

The main thing is that I didn't kill them. The last I saw of them they were scurrying off into the bushes. Alive. That's the way I'll remember them and that gives me peace of mind. Not knowing their fate, but hoping they survived.

Mice move on anyway. I started keeping all my perishables in containers. They don't hang around if there's no food available.

It's the same with any blue bottle or wasp that I let out of the window. It could fly in my neighbours and get zapped with fly spray. But it might not. And it left my house ALIVE.

Exactly. Mice go where there is a ready supply of food, especially foods high in carbs. The same is true of most insects as well. Anyone who has a garden is going to have an abundance of living creatures on their doorstep that are part of that eco system. Soil and compost is full of microscopic creatures, but we happily handle that without a second thought.

I had to google Jainism Goose, as I had no idea what that is. Seems like a sensible thing to aim for though. After all, I'm guessing my life is stress free compared to your worries about everything that scampers, flies, or crawls. Wasps don't bother me if I don't bother them. And rats only have a poor rap because of history. Pretty much every living thing can spread disease, none more so than humans themselves :D

Archived