new bar 'BOHO' serving sushi

Righto. I guess it falls to me then....but frankly I'm staggered. Just two years ago a new bar would have been a major forum talking point and generated heated Mrs Merton style debate. Why not now? Is it because the average forumite is now 35+ and too busy thinking about IVF/ nappies? Or because Boho is seen as another sushi-band-wagon-jumping filling a gap bar for 18 year old kids. Or have we reached some kind of saturation point and are now wallowing in a deep malaise where we just don't care anymore?

Because if so then we are rolling over compadres. And one step from the neutered non-descript gentile blandness that stole Clapham's identity. A shift that saw the Las Vegas stripification of once desirable streets and before you know it Bawdale road will have more vomit and half eaten kebabs tossed into front gardens than you can comfortably count on a Sunday morning.

Anyway Boho has opened and I went there tonight....you might not care but here's what I thought:

Firstly, they've spent money on the place. A polished granite bar with rolled leather trim. Quality sound system, nicely hidden electrics, well soundproofed. Decor wise it's ahead of rest and depending on your view it's either funky Temple of the Sun God with seating from the USS Enterprise or Dos Amigos gone wrong (and on fire). I really liked it. I only counted about 6 seats and 4 bar stools so expect to stand on a Friday night. Probably with 18 year olds but that's ok.

Cocktails were good. And real. Not your watery, coloured, take your hoodie off Adventure Bar, Bon Jovi 3 for 1 efforts. And it has a nice downstairs bar that if you can hire it out would def solve the central ED party space dilemma.

Music was kind of Brazilian pop samba diffusion groove. Or rip off Merchant Msrk Ronson Remixed. I cant remember as Mrs Ben fell off her stool and we had to leave.

Anyways - whatever forthcoming posts declare - I liked it and will use it as a lively pit stop on my Saturday nights on the lane. Or for a quiet drunken Monday night with a nice girl.

And did I mention I had awesome pasta at Il Mirto for less than a Boho Mojito?! Hooray for the new East Dulwich!

>

> My interpretation was that the sushi is very much

> an afterthought, in an attempt to fill a gap in

> the market.

Well, no bar is going to open and do stone-baked pizzas are they, what with the Gowlett about?

Curses to Boho for researching what the Lane is lacking and then actually offering it.

I think you misunderstood what I was hinting at, honklenk. Someone was saying that they hope it's going to be a serious sushi joint - and I was expressing doubt.

Never mind. I shall reserve further judgement until I actually try it.

Ah, I should read threads more carefully.

I doubt it'll be a destination on the map for sushi afficionados, in a similar way that pubs doing Thai food don't tend to make it into the lists of London's best Thai restaurants...

Somehow I can't imagine a bar would be able to serve proper & even edible sushi at all....not with the sort of establishment like Boho.

Sushi is handled with care & lots of preparations for it to be consumed fresh.

Boho seems more of drinks first then "sushi" as a side dish in which case their sushi is probably bought ready made & stored in the fridge until it's sold. In which case one might end up eating an old sushi.

Or am I being unreasonable & critical.

chica1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Somehow I can't imagine a bar would be able to

> serve proper & even edible sushi at all....not

> with the sort of establishment like Boho.

>

> Sushi is handled with care & lots of preparations

> for it to be consumed fresh.

>

> Boho seems more of drinks first then "sushi" as a

> side dish in which case their sushi is probably

> bought ready made & stored in the fridge until

> it's sold. In which case one might end up eating

> an old sushi.

>

> Or am I being unreasonable & critical.

Call me weird, maybe you should try their sushi before you stick your review up on the internet, Mr Ronay

Going in & asking them don't think will give us the answer.

Only way is to try & eat them yourself.

So..when would be the best day to go to Boho with the intention of having sushi as opposed to drinking & I'll take my Japanese friend with me who can judge the food?

Lenk, how wrong it is for Ronay to post an opinion on a forum saturated with opinions. Everything you read on here is fact clearly. Opinions is what makes EDF interesting and mildy amusing. If I want factually correct information all the time I will watch National Geo.

lenk Wrote:

>

> Call me weird, maybe you should try their sushi

> before you stick your review up on the internet,

> Mr Ronay

I really do think you all need to get over the sushi thing.

Lighten up - this is a BAR. It's primary purpose is to serve DRINKS. And I happen to think Boho is a quality little operation put together with some thought, detail and attention to the drinks by an entrepreneurial risk taking mind doing something a little different. In a recession.

Why don't you try actually try visiting the place and ordering a DRINK instead of waffling on here about sushi. What a bunch of muppets.

MrBen Wrote:

> I really do think you all need to get over the

> sushi thing.

>

> Lighten up - this is a BAR. It's primary purpose

> is to serve DRINKS. And I happen to think Boho is

> a quality little operation put together with some

> thought, detail and attention to the drinks by an

> entrepreneurial risk taking mind doing something a

> little different. In a recession.

>

> Why don't you try actually try visiting the place

> and ordering a DRINK instead of waffling on here

> about sushi. What a bunch of muppets.

Indeed. The amount of apoptlectic rage there is on this board when something 'we don't like' opens is hilarious.

MrBen Wrote:

> I really do think you all need to get over the

> sushi thing.

>

> Lighten up - this is a BAR. It's primary purpose

> is to serve DRINKS. And I happen to think Boho is

> a quality little operation put together with some

> thought, detail and attention to the drinks by an

> entrepreneurial risk taking mind doing something a

> little different. In a recession.

>

> Why don't you try actually try visiting the place

> and ordering a DRINK instead of waffling on here

> about sushi. What a bunch of muppets.

In case you overlooked but the title of this thread is -

"new bar 'BOHO' serving sushi"

-which is no doubt being flogged by the owner. Hence sushi is the main topic for discussion.

Chica - I think you have exhausted the subject but feel free to continue (at risk of boring the rest of us senseless). At the end of the day Sushi in this context is just some bar food on the side. And this is just a bar in a part of south east London so keep your pants on.

Better would be to actually visit the place and perhaps post a constructive review on the BAR, perhaps dare I say, something positive which I believe it rightly deserves?

Or show the courage to start your own dedicated sushi place! I believe there are few cheap leases about....

Keep your hair on Ben...we are all entitled to express opinions here whether you are in agreement or not & if you're that bored with my opinion then you didn't need to reply to my last post.

I simply reminded you of the subject of this thread in case you forgot since you are the one who wanted us all to stay away from the "sushi" subject.

And BTW FORUMS are there for everyone to express opinions negative & positive & not just an appreciation forum unless specifically stated! Gawd you should try visit other forums other than EDF but be prepared not to have a heart attack!!

I'm out of here until I log in again to give my unbiased opinion on the sushi once I've tried it.

ciao