new bar 'BOHO' serving sushi

had a drink last night. reasonably fine place - nice staff. if you are tall, stay upstairs. i am unsure about the fashion video. but it seemed to attract a girl crowd. even with that, there must be something better to show...

an improvement over the tivoli.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Japanese sushi and sashimi recipes are the easiest

> popular cuisine to prepare at home, IMHO.

> Especially worthwhile today, when one can spend

> upwards of ?100 a head at a 'cult' bar/restaurant

> for the same pleasure. It takes a little practice

> but it's very forgiving - just take it apart and

> try again.

>

> All the necessary ingredients are available from

> various local speciality stores (e.g. there's one

> in Peckham and another in Camberwell) and there

> are literally hundreds of online guides, FAQs and

> how-to websites.

>

> A couple of examples:

> www.sushifaq.com

> SushiAtHome.pdf

THIS.

The only thing I'd add to it is PROTIP: Get fresh fish. And I'm not talking 3 day old fish that's been sat on a fishmarket, I'm talking so fresh that you can still taste the saltwater. Zushi isn't as complicated as you'd think, the SUPER SECRET METHOD is to ensure that you don't overcook the rice, that can be the dealbreaker between a dish that is OM NOM NOM to a dish that is MEH. Get some nice rice wine vinegar and you're pretty much set to go.

Zushi is better than Sashimi IMO, because you can cook whatever fish you're using without offending the Japanese Gods. If you're dead set on eating raw and you're all about Sashimi, I'd say go Hotate-gai, it's like eating fishy steak.

I thought Boho bar was crap when I went for a couple of drinks recently. No door policy, random punters, pointless screen, not good. Shame because if it was more discerning as to who it let in, and a few details were adjusted I'm sure it could be a fine little place.

Charlie

Popped in for 20 minutes or so early last Friday evening and had what was supposed to be a Mai Tai. Dreadful. Absolutely nothing like one and it came in the smallest glass imaginable. It's supposed to have three different rums in for feck's sake. Half empty and a dull ambience. Must try much much harder.

char1ie Wrote:

> Shame because

> if it was more discerning as to who it let in, and

> a few details were adjusted I'm sure it could be a

> fine little place.

>

> Charlie

xxxxxxx

So who had it let in (apart from you of course) and why do you think they didn't deserve to be there?

Who do you think should be let in, and why?

:-S

I know I am sounding increasingly grumpy on this but we have an almost globally unique institution with many architecual gems etc etc...and yet anyone under 35 seems to want to drink in expensive, poky, plastic ex-shoe shops??? Beats me

Sue Wrote:

> So who had it let in (apart from you of course)

> and why do you think they didn't deserve to be

> there?

>

> Who do you think should be let in, and why?

This is exactly what I was wondering. I have absolutely zero interest in drinking in a bar with a "discerning door policy". In fact if you're so picky about who you drink with, why bother leaving the house at all?

Jeremy Wrote:

> "more discerning as to who it let in"?

>

> ::o

They let me in with my depressed divoercee friend (bad choice), they let in a group of 6 pissed up large argumentative geezers (bad choice), they let in some very bored looking old men (bad choice) and the 12 or so trendy good looking young girls and boys that wandered in wandered straight out again because of the low quality punters that were in there.

Charlie

char1ie Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > "more discerning as to who it let in"?

> >

> > ::o

>

> They let me in with my depressed divoercee friend

> (bad choice), they let in a group of 6 pissed up

> large argumentative geezers (bad choice), they let

> in some very bored looking old men (bad choice)

> and the 12 or so trendy good looking young girls

> and boys that wandered in wandered straight out

> again because of the low quality punters that were

> in there.

>

> Charlie

So basically they let everybody in.

char1ie Wrote:

the 12 or so trendy good looking young girls

> and boys that wandered in wandered straight out

> again because of the low quality punters that were

> in there.

>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So you think they should only let in "high quality punters", which by your definition appear to be:

Trendy

Good looking

Young

??????

Have I understood you correctly?

Do you think they should have some kind of "good looks detector" on the door, and maybe ask everybody for proof of age in case they're over - what? 25???

Oh, and vet their clothes in case they've strayed off trend?

FFS :-S