Roadworks in Lordship Lane at end of North Cross Road

Sue

Now it's finished it looks half-arsed and badly done.

The elevated section of NthX Rd is particularly ugly. Compare it with the same deal at the end of Chesterfield Grove diagonally opposite -

This has two types of block-paved surface in contrasting colours for the raised section and the ramps either side. Most of the side roads treated in this way are the same. Not Nthx though. NthX Rd has multi coloured blocks on the elevated section and badly laid banks of tarmac either side for ramps making it look half-finished at best and bodged at worst - like it had to be hurried up or they ran out of money.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Blame the councils mismanagement for the

> disruption - poorly managed contractor.

>

> Blame me for the diea of improving this junciton.

> I never imagined in my wildrest nightmares the

> implementation could be so hopeless. I applied for

> this to happen in 2013!

> If ever their was a case for great devolved local

> government. Managing a contractor from SE1 to do

> these works clearly hasn't worked in any way shape

> of form.

> In November Southwark's administration is throwing

> a party to celebrate it's creation from two other

> councils 50 years ago. Would the old Camberwell

> Council that included Dulwich with its highways

> yard just of off GRove Vale have allowed a

> contractor to do this - very much doubt it.

You seem to be saying sorry for many things just lately, what are you setting us up for that might appear in the future?

edhistory Wrote:

> > In November Southwark's administration is

> throwing a party to celebrate it's creation from

> two other councils 50 years ago.

>

> Over six months late.

>

> The "merger" was on 6 April 1965.

Have Conways Senior Management and board of directors been invited.. ?

DulwichFox

@edhistory Lordship Lane Cycle Superhighway (AKA "CS6 Penge to City") is dead and buried, and has been for a year or more.

The map you've got there is a Southwark Spine proposal, more akin to a Quietway (i.e. back street route, some junction tweaks and traffic calming) than a Cycle Superhighway (big wide blue paint strips along a main arterial road, or a segregated bike track in their new incarnation). Doesn't run past this junction.

Meeting yesterday first thing to review these works:

"

North cross Road /Lordship Lane Schedule of Defects

1.Outside Londis shop BT box to be squared in line with the slabs.

2.Repoint core holes around bike stand.

3.Chipped kerbs stones kerbstones patched

4.Chipped slabs replaced

5.Make good and repoint channel sets

6.BT box at the bus stop cover dropped

Out standing

7.Waiting for UK power network to disconnect and removed disused lamp column and replace slabs area.

These defects will be corrected soon and you will be notified on completion.

"

Just waiting dates for these to be fixed.

Sue Wrote:

> solar Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Surely after all this time the job should be

> > perfect first time.

>

>

> Indeed. Poor management, on the face of it.

Poor management... Poor workmanship.... = Wrong choice of contractor..

Down to Southwark Council.

DulwichFox

I've lost track of the number of shoddy jobs I've seen Conway involved with. If you email the council, no-one replies. It's almost as if by not replying they believe they can retain total deniability. Do Conway have a lengthy iron-clad contract or something which makes it nearly impossible to fire them?

FOI request moving along, should have response by end of month.

worldwiser Wrote:

> It's almost as if by not

> replying they believe they can retain total

> deniability. Do Conway have a lengthy iron-clad

> contract or something which makes it nearly

> impossible to fire them?

Of course - low above-the-board cost but juicy below-the-board 'benefits'. Same as it ever was. Good luck with FOI request.

James Barber Wrote:

> Meeting yesterday first thing to review these

> works:

>

> "

> North cross Road /Lordship Lane Schedule of

> Defects

> 1.Outside Londis shop BT box to be squared in line

> with the slabs.

> 2.Repoint core holes around bike stand.

> 3.Chipped kerbs stones kerbstones patched

> 4.Chipped slabs replaced

> 5.Make good and repoint channel sets

> 6.BT box at the bus stop cover dropped

>

> Out standing

> 7.Waiting for UK power network to disconnect and

> removed disused lamp column and replace slabs

> area.

> These defects will be corrected soon and you will

> be notified on completion.

> "

>

> Just waiting dates for these to be fixed.

James, will there be a meeting to review this project to work out just why it took so long and how much it ended up costing?

thanks

I would not want anyone to get the wrong impression from Jim's post. He did not actually attend the meeting the other morning in Lordship Lane at 8am with Southwark Council Officers and a representative from Conway's. I was there at eight and pointed out the chips and the cracks and the badly laid slabs. I too am unhappy with the time this job took and will be asking the reasons why. As for JB, I think it is about time he stopped taking credit for nearly everything that goes on in East Dulwich. I am sure that if England had won the rugby world cup, he would have said it was down to him! So let us all get on serving the people of East Dulwich and not blowing our own trumpet.

Regards

Councillor Charlie Smith

Labour Member East Dulwich Ward