Roadworks in Lordship Lane at end of North Cross Road

Sue

civilservant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i see today that the bus stop has finally

> re-opened

Indeed - and that whole stretch of pavement that was first closed back in early June, from the corner of Shawbury Road to the tree outside William Hills has undergone absolutely NO significant change.

It has not been widened, narrowed, raised, lowered or had anything added.

It has been 'redone' - a pointless and expensive exercise given that it is not the bit of the pavement pedestrians actually traverse (blocked as it is by litter bins, cycle racks, trees, lamp posts, the bus stop etc.) No, THAT part of the pavement (used by hundreds of people every day) is still pitted, cracked, uneven and ugly.

A three month closure of road and bus stop just so the rarely-seen Conway staff had somewhere to put their loo and shelter from the rain.

Hugely underwhelmed with both progress and what the objective actually was. Seems to be a few new paving slabs alongside existing pavement that could/should have also been replaced. If you're widening the pavement surely they would replace the existing pavement too.

I get the 63 every morning to Blackfriars and the contractor should be ashamed of their progress versus the new bike lanes (started after, much bigger, much more impressive, nearer being finished than started).

There is a risk, that if a fuss is made about the parlous condition of the pavement, then the trees will come down. and I think that would be a shame.

Widening the pavement would be preferable, and resurfacing both sides of the trees. This may also slow traffic on that stretch of road. (This would be a good thing).

Now it's possible to see the minimal extent of these works, I echo the sentiments of others that this seems to have been an utterly pointless exercise in causing inconvenience. Surely it could have been possible to enter into some kind of partnership with the various landlords and do a full width job on the pavements? Now what we're left with is both ridiculous and embarrassing. The division between the brand new paving and the cracked existing sections is now more apparent than ever and absolutely no additional benefit, whether aesthetic or utilitarian has been gained. We should all be livid with how this has turned out. I'm submitting a FOI for the cost of this.

I agree.

Months of disruption and inconvenience for very little (if any) obvious gain. Except of course to Conway's coffers.

And OUR money being spent. Please let us know when you get an answer to your FOI, worldwiser, good on you for doing that.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You don't find that the junciotn now offers a more

> pleasant and a better experience?

The only part I ever previously found a slightly bad experience was the bottleneck on the pavement by the hog roast and fresh fish stands near Londis on a Saturday.

Sadly, +1 for the comments here about how underwhelming the end result is. It isn't pleasant or different enough to justify the cost or the disruption in my view. Basically, it looks and feels like a partly renewed pavement with a bit more space at one end.

Blame the councils mismanagement for the disruption - poorly managed contractor.

Blame me for the diea of improving this junciton. I never imagined in my wildrest nightmares the implementation could be so hopeless. I applied for this to happen in 2013!

If ever their was a case for great devolved local government. Managing a contractor from SE1 to do these works clearly hasn't worked in any way shape of form.

In November Southwark's administration is throwing a party to celebrate it's creation from two other councils 50 years ago. Would the old Camberwell Council that included Dulwich with its highways yard just of off GRove Vale have allowed a contractor to do this - very much doubt it.

Interesting that the council is throwing a party, who is paying for that ?

How ridiculous that when councils are complaining that they have to cut essential services that Soutwark can then afford to have a jolly old knees up for something that is insignificant to the majority of tax payers....

Would love to know who's bright idea this is ...

Lobbing that one in is a nice distraction ( a separate thread perhaps, or tip off the press) but this is about how those works came to be and then managed. We need to focus on that. I look forward to seeing details of Worldwiser's FOI. In my humble opnion a week's worth of work was strung out to over two months, this has to be followed up by James. He is our Councillor and must hold to account those responsible for the fiasco. I for one think mentioning parties is an obvious play and cheap (though I am sure it won't be!).