COME ON TIM!!!

Sherwick

Yes it is sad - so much for British people supporting British tennis - think this shows that it was always English tennis the Wimbledon public wanted to support and few of them give a hoot about Murray. Some say its because he says he does not support the English football team but thats just an excuse not to support him, at the end if the day he won't get the same support as Henman because he is not English.

I think that's nonsense. The English are far less bothered about any kind of English / Scottish divide than the Scots.

Murray doesn't get the support Tim Henman did because he doesn't play the same PR game. He has been moody and lacked charm and any willingness to engage with fans. That's starting to change now, and it'll only take his playing nicely with the fans at one Wimbledon for people to get hehind him.

I never cheered Henman, and I don't cheer Murray. I support England in team sports, but as has already been said on the Wimbledon thread, tennis is an individual sport, and for a lot of fans, nationality doesn't really come in to it. That is how I feel.

is it not quite sad and pathetic that people shout that and come on rafa in a murray game?

I think Murray has some support in England - but the "Come on Tim" shouts show that he has a long way to go, the fans are telling him he will never have the place in their gearts that Henman had, which is harsh - not to support him is one thing but actively distracting him is another.

He is not as likeable as Henman perhaps - but then Henman was a loser and Murray is a winner.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> He is not as likeable as Henman perhaps - but then

> Henman was a loser and Murray is a winner.

And perhaps therin lies the problem - there does seem to be a tendancy to like support the plucky underdog rather than the winner in this country. I totally agree with the point Rosie makes about the England / Scotland divide too. Course Murray didn't make himself very popular early on when he made that comment about not wanting to support England in the football - but he was something like 19 at the time - how many guys of that age always talk sense?

Personally I prefer Murray to Henman - the latter just never seemed to care enough when he lost and so would always ultimately be a loser in the biggest of games. Wheras I was lucky enough to be at Wimbledon to see Murray play David Nalbandian back in 2005 and despite the odds being stacked in the latter's favour, you could tell Murray was really annoyed with himself that he missed his chances to win the match, even though he was ranked way lower than Nalbandian.

Tim never seemed to face up to the fact he wasn't strong enough to compete at the absolute top level - Sampras would always get the better of him in a tie breaker because he could rain down more aces. Tim never looked like he had the strength of other top players.

Murray on the other hand has put some serious effort into his strength training - ok he isn't quite a Nadal, but he's got the strength now to finish off a big game that he didn't have when he was playing Nalbandian, you can really see the difference in his power and fitness now.

I think that's nonsense. The English are far less bothered about any kind of English / Scottish divide than the Scots.

Can I point out that that is probably because the Scots didn't spend several hundred years trying to take over England and kill the English queen while they were at it.

Not that they can hold a grudge now what with most of central parliament top jobs being held by Scots *snigger*

COME ON ANDY!!!!!!

Asset, if it wasn't for the English bringing the Jocks to heel then they wouldn't be the nation/people that they are today. Oh and they'll get their full independance/home rule back when we the English get our shop doorways back. I mean come on.....they drink the blood of their dead for god sake.

Can I point out that that is probably because the Scots didn't spend several hundred years trying to take over England and kill the English queen while they were at it.

Anyone who honestly holds that against the average English person today, is a tw@t in my opinion.

I work with a Scots lass, and she says there is a feeling that Scotland is just forgotten, even in Scotland, they are overwhelmed with English footy, for example, yet it's difficult to watch a team other than old firm, when you're down here. She also said that she feels Scotland is the guinea pig country, where things are tried out, like the smoking ban.

My only problem with Scotland is Alex Salmond. What a vile little man he is!

Asset Wrote:

> Can I point out that that is probably because the

> Scots didn't spend several hundred years trying to

> take over England and kill the English queen while

> they were at it.

I would thought they should have been happy that they got the last laugh when they got to take over England without a fight when Elizabeth I died without a child of her own.

Keef Wrote:

She

> also said that she feels Scotland is the guinea

> pig country, where things are tried out, like the

> smoking ban.

Is the Tenants super and Carlsberg special brew experiment still ongoing?