6am bin collections - Friern Road and surrounding area

Ms T Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> At least the bin men only come once a week, what's

> with the 24/7 building noise we've been having

> lately? Even Sunday's aren't sacred.

-Mrs t - you can stop this, its not allowed, all ypou need to do is complain to southwark council. they come round within 45 mins, then they give ?5000 fine and leave notice. innit

• 3 weeks later...

Its partly to do with whether Friern Road always has to have the 6am Saturday morning collection. Why can't this be spread around more fairly.

They also annoy me by collecting from school roads at children drop off time. They just could not care less.

I suspect by midday these bin collectors are at home and having the afternoon off because they started so early and sped round all morning waking everyone up at 5.30 on weekends and making sure children don't get to school on time.

If they don't want to collect the bins at times convenient to local residents then they can pass the job to someone who does.

Judy you should be happy that someone is willing to do the bin job for probably a low pay.

In some European towns the latest development is that you have to move your own bin to the nearest collection point, which could be about 100m away.

Or imagine in Naples where the bin men decided to go on a 6 months strike.

cacaolat Wrote:

> Judy you should be happy that someone is willing

> to do the bin job for probably a low pay.

Any evidence of the low pay? Dustmen earn 30k+

Anyway I don't think what they are paid is relevant. People are asking that they work more normal hours not having to start so early.

As a matter of interest does anyone have their bin collection late afternoon? If not it suggests these guys start very early and finish very early. Why can't they do the bin collection between 9 and 3 when people are at work and children at school.

• 5 weeks later...

After this morning's bin collecion, I have just remembered what annoys me most about the procedure. It's not so much the actual bin collection but the fact that some guy (who I assume knocks off earlier than the rest) comes along 30-45 minutes earlier than the van (sometimes at 5:30am) and makes as much noise as he can pulling the bins out of everyone's driveways. I then lie there knowing that it's not worth getting back to sleep as soon enough the van will be along to wake me up again. This was one thing that they did stop doing when I complained 2 years ago but it seems to have started again.

I know - I should just complain again to Southwark...

Judy2 Wrote:

> After this morning's bin collecion, I have just

> remembered what annoys me most about the

> procedure. It's not so much the actual bin

> collection but the fact that some guy (who I

> assume knocks off earlier than the rest) comes

> along 30-45 minutes earlier than the van

> (sometimes at 5:30am) and makes as much noise as

> he can pulling the bins out of everyone's

> driveways. I then lie there knowing that it's not

> worth getting back to sleep as soon enough the van

> will be along to wake me up again. This was one

> thing that they did stop doing when I complained 2

> years ago but it seems to have started again.

>

> I know - I should just complain again to

> Southwark...

Was it me, or were they even more noisey this morning? Why do they have to shout at each other, also? (6)

IF you ever have any activities before 6am regarding bin collections please email me asap. The dustcarts are not supposed to leave the depot in Manor Place Walworth near to E&C before 6am. Equally no one is meant to be moving bins in preperation before 6am.

[email protected]

I've on several occassions been promised breaches of such timings will not and do not occur. Any evidence to contrary please email me. Any and all evidence will help me get routes rearranged to reduce the risk of this happening.

For recycling that is meant to kick of from 7am.

Why 6am? I've been told that the constrained Manor Place depot can't cope with everyone leaving at 7am.

I thought that only commercial premises had their rubbish collected at weekends, as well as every other day of the week due to the business rates they pay and because they would produce rubbish every day if they are a shop or restaurant. I used to live in the West End and that is what happened there. Woken up about 6 every morning.

Have lived on Friern Road for over twenty years, and collections have always been early.

Maybe the reason for early collections, is that the refuse lorry does not block the access for nos 12 and 40 buses at the top end of Friern Road, it will have cleared the section of road between Lordship Lane and Etherow Street, before the buses need to block the road.

As far as I am concerned, somebody has to have an early collection. If it wasn't us it would be some other road, so let's not get too worried about it.

:))

The bin crews are only allowed to leave the depot near the Elephant&Castle at 6am. So by the time they reach East Dulwich should be no earlier than 6.15am. If you are ever disturbed before 6.15am by rubbish collections in East Dulwich please let me know [email protected] it isn't acceptable or allowed in the contract with Veolia.

I have enquired about whether they could start later. Lots mentioned by computedshorty above. Broad calculations it would required an additional crew costing ?150,000->?200,000 pa. In the currently climate I don't see other services being cut to make this possible.

Paid building works outside 8am-6pm Mon-Fri and 8am-1pm Sat call Southwark Council 020 7525 2000 and make a noise complaint. If it happens make a note of every occurenace. The noise team should be on site within 45minutes.

Three questions:

Can Saturday collections be moved so that Friern Road doesn't always have the early collection? It seems from other posts that Friern Road has always had them which doesn't seem fair.

Can Southwark stop the men from coming early and pulling the bins out? (even if this is at 6:15 rather than 5:30 it still is very disturbing to be woken up twice). I have never seen the point of this - fair enough if it is 5 minutes before but not half an hour.

Can Southwark start the Saturday only collections at 7 rather than 6 - I'm assuming the calculations given above are based on the collections starting later every day of the week. (And how do the noise rules fit with this? We can complain if there's private building work starting before 8 any day of the week but not if it's Southwark making the noise!)

I would also be interested in knowing what time the bin collections end each day - isn't it a matter of the existing crew finishing a bit later rather than an additional lorry being laid on? I've never seen any collections happening in the afternoon.

Thanks

I know people are different but after 8 years on Friern Rd I settled into the rhythms of the bin-men - if they altered the routes so that it only happened occasionaly on Friern Rd at 6am it would seem more of a disturbance. To me anyway

(it didn't take me 8 years to settle - that was more to let yo know how long I have been aware of them !)

>

>

> I would also be interested in knowing what time

> the bin collections end each day - isn't it a

> matter of the existing crew finishing a bit later

> rather than an additional lorry being laid on?

> I've never seen any collections happening in the

> afternoon.

>

> Thanks

I don't know how it works but I would imagine the dust carts have to finish their collections in time to get to wherever they unload. I guess they may have set times for dropping off the waste.