Opinions please - strange paving!

Kai_63

We are getting our garden done and we've come home to find the paving laid. The front section looking out the garden is aligned with our house but at the back, they've aligned it with the house behind us. It means the two sets of paving in our garden don't align. The landscaper said he had to do that as the garden is an odd shape and it will mean the back pavement is wider at one end than the other but I think I'd prefer that as long as the grout lines all aligned with each other. Opinions please? Would I have to pay get this rectified or do you think he made a mistake?

Is it just those two small sections being paved, not the whole garden? If so, I think it looks fine (would look a bit strange to have it lined up, as the pavers at the back of your garden would have to be laid on a funny angle to the back wall).

I absolutely think the landscapers have made a mistake. At the very least, they should have checked in with you as to which way you wanted it, as it makes a big difference.

I would have very definitely opted to align the two sets of paving - arguably you could do it either way - both on a slant, aligned with the back wall and making a virtue of the diagonal, or both on the straight, aligned with the house and hence "correcting" the irregular shape of the garden.

Admittedly, I'm probably slightly obsessive about this type of thing, but this would drive me completely insane every time I looked at it.

No they won't, lawn in between, but in my head they do and that is why they feel so off! I think some of us see things in 'straight lines' more, I wished it didn't bother me but it is nice to see it isn't as bad as I thought.

We discussed paving at the back, 3m wide. I assumed they would alin the paving, because that's what designers would do. IT didn't even occur to me that there was any other way to do it. When I complained today, he admitted there were two ways to do it (my way, more complex) or his way (simple for him). But he never discussed that in advance with me. Anything that has more than one option should be discussed I think.

Kai_63 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No they won't, lawn in between, but in my head

> they do and that is why they feel so off! I think

> some of us see things in 'straight lines' more, I

> wished it didn't bother me but it is nice to see

> it isn't as bad as I thought.

Don't worry, it will look fine...

ETA: At the moment the joints are unfilled and therefore stand out, once they are filled in with a matching mortar they will become much less obvious to the eye. Also, at the moment everything is bare, once the lawn and some plants are established, maybe some tubs and a table and chairs on the paving, your eyes will be drawn to other things...

It would drive me nuts for ever, if they weren't lined up. If they're just slightly out, even worse. Match it perfectly, or make it clearly and deliberately different, as my woodwork teacher advised me. Nothing inbetween.

Notmsure if they should be aligned.

Hut hey should have asked you and told you about the two possibilities.

If you want to keep it, make a curved flower bed alond the side to bring it together.

If you want to have a rectangled lawn between the paved areas - go and discuss it and make your point about design and straight lines!

enjoy

I am feeling better about it now. Trying to speak to them now about changing it but if it can't be, it's good to know that there are ways to make it work if we need to. My husband wasn't that fussed but I work with graphic designers and stuff like this just pops out to me! Thanks all.