Great Gents Haircut in ED - about time (Lounged)

Jimi

Went to Jazz tonight - good haircut for ?12 and I reckon that was ?2 per minute, quickest haircut I have ever experienced - that guy had the quickest scissors in ED.

The Clipper >

What I find funny about their pricelist is

Haircut ?14.50

Fashion Haircut ?16.50

The obvious implication being that if you want an unfashionable haircut that will cost you ?14.50, but for anything half decent its ?16.50

Oh and of course they add 50p to make sure they get it rounded up, even though its expensive already.

I have been to the Clipper a couple of times a couple of years ago and thought it was not great, but then I don't remember them having a fashion cut option at the time.

I went to JAZZ tonight as well..

I thought it was pretty good, as it goes - and would definitely recommend the place (unless you specifically want specifically want to travel halfway across town to some wanky salon, pay over the odds and convince yourself you're getting something really extra special)

I miss ol' Keith (North Cross road, where the kiddywinks bookshop was before it went bust, now the failing novelty card-shop).

Decent conversation; laying into the Royals, the forces of Privilege, Blair's lies in dragging us into Iraq, the gentrification/trendification of Dulwich. Always lively, humorous dialogue as he delivered up the best crop in the parish.

Fair price, so always tipped; a real, genuine w/c character, greatly missed!

Now I patronize Barry Barbers, Barry Road. Good cut, reasonable (?10.), decent conversation, less political, but insightful nonetheless.

Good barbers are like cabbies; community psychologists in their own way, sharing stories and information, interpretations and insights, but they will forever try and stick their bleedin' clippers in your lug-holes, if you let your guard down!

Death to the Salons!

immaterial Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I miss ol' Keith (North Cross road, where the

> kiddywinks bookshop was before it went bust, now

> the failing novelty card-shop).

>

> Decent conversation; laying into the Royals, the

> forces of Privilege, Blair's lies in dragging us

> into Iraq, the gentrification/trendification of

> Dulwich. Always lively, humorous dialogue as he

> delivered up the best crop in the parish.

> Fair price, so always tipped; a real, genuine w/c

> character, greatly missed!

>

> Now I patronize Barry Barbers, Barry Road. Good

> cut, reasonable (?10.), decent conversation, less

> political, but insightful nonetheless.

>

> Good barbers are like cabbies; community

> psychologists in their own way, sharing stories

> and information, interpretations and insights, but

> they will forever try and stick their bleedin'

> clippers in your lug-holes, if you let your guard

> down!

>

> Death to the Salons!

I used to go to Keiths and am currently patronising Sean at Barry Road barbers - any barber that cuts Timothy Spall's hair is good enough for me.

But Jazz is open until 7.30 so I have found out today that I can get my haircut on the way home. Sean at Barry Road is good but it means taking time out on a Saturday - but many people in ED are self employed or work from homers so I guess they don't need somewhere that is open to 7.30 but I think its quite a bonus.

Oh, by the way, mention Ryanair to Sean and he will rant the whole way through the haircut and its hilarious - we all think we hate Ryanair, but nothing like Sean does. Great fun, but if you gave him any instructions as to how to cut you hair he is likely to have forgotten.

Also, there is a barbers in Victoria called Ryan Hair, I'm not sure that is a good marketing move.

Can we have some more of those stories please Ted as I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses them. You'll know that the others have finished reading your little trips through a bygone age because they'll posting the same request as mine shortly.

Mick - Been lectured and hectored by Sean with regard to Ryanair myself, but the funniest thing he ever said to me was how he was still picking up Keith's old customers a good 6 months after Keith shut up shop and retired :" Jeez, they musta been wandering round Dulwich like f***ing zombies fer months before they found me!"

Ted - Forget about the Jazz FM business, but why d'you edit out the whole posting?

One Saturday morning, after a flaming row with my wife, I made my way down Northcross for the usual Blade 2 at Keith's. She knew exactly where I was going and after a few minutes of conversation, me in the chair and with the shop filling up with saturday morning punters, the door flies open.

She's in the doorway, red-faced, as Italian as she's ever been, raging :" You total w**ker, never forget who you are, do you hear me, you w***er, never forget it!", she rants and strides off towards Lordship Lane.

I could've died; Keith turned to me and said:"Who the f**K was that?"

"Just the wife." I responded.

"Oh, fair enough." And he just carried on with the cut.

Every visit thereafter, he'd always ask me how the missus was, and after payment he'd always, without fail, with the wickedest grin he could muster, turn and say:" 'Ere... never forget who you are!"

immaterial said:

"I miss ol' Keith (North Cross road ...

Decent conversation; laying into the Royals, the forces of Privilege, Blair's lies in dragging us into Iraq, the gentrification/trendification of Dulwich. Always lively, humorous dialogue as he delivered up the best crop in the parish...

Good barbers are like cabbies; community psychologists in their own way, sharing stories and information, interpretations and insights..."

This, immaterial, is why I give the likes of Keith a miss. Not that I'm suggesting there was anything wrong with Keith. Rather, if I'm trapped in a barber's chair I'll bite my tongue and agree with any old tripe he may be saying in case his scissors/razor should accidently slip and give me a mohican.

Also, I've never understood the Educating Rita thing about psychoanalytical coiffeurs. It may mean something to women but it's not manly. Just cut my mullet the way I've had it cut for the last 25 years and keep your number 3s to yourself.

Missing the point, S/Fox, I was never "trapped" in Keith's chair. And, if he ever uttered anything suspect, and he did on occasion, I'm not denying it, I was perfectly able to challenge him.

I never went there for psychoanalysis, just for a decent, reasonably-priced haircut, some amusing conversation and, dare I say it, friendship.

I would often encounter him in various East Dulwich streets and we would chat about 'this and that'. He was a proper London character, and I just hope he's enjoying his retirement on the Coast.

Viva Keith!

im with immaterial on this silverfox. At certain times a bit of male conversation can relieve a bit of domestic stress. Keith was an interesting guy when you got to know him. Some barbers cut the same persons hair boys to men. They can get to know you quite well and keith had seen a lot of changes in ed. Id listen to his views anytime. A good guy.