V1 & V2 Bombs dropped on Lordship Lane.

The shops on Goodrich / Landcroft Roads used to be

Murtons Sweet Shop then Blackmores and Flectures the Grocers.

Facing was a dirlect two story building that was in the process of converting into flats

fenced arround when the war started with scaffold boards stood upright, this was owned by Tilt Estates, when the war

ended we pulled all that boarding down and set it alight in the

middle of the crossroads, for the Victory celebrations, the heat was so great that the margerine stacked in the

Grocers shop window melted and ran down the incline of the window display and could be seen against the Glass window.

There was a Red Post Box on that corner, my brother who was serving abroad received his letters

partly burnt as they had been in the Post Box.

The picture is where the bombs dropped

The other picture is the newer buildings built there it was never a bomb site, the old number 1 & 3 Goodricch Road and the back was having additions with pink fletton bricks with a flat roof, that we used to climb up to.

The old inner rooms did still have peeling wallpaper. The two staircases were removed and a set of outside steps were being built on the end near the church.

Hi bingobongo, welcome to the entertainments of the East Dulwich forum.

I live in the corner shop corner of Goodrich/Landcroft opposite the bombsite/now flats you and Computedshorty are talking about - the one that was a grocers, not the sweet shop. Computedshorty has told me something of this crossroads, i'd be interested in any other memories you could share, it's great to learn about the house and its history. Thanks.

another annie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi bingobongo, welcome to the entertainments of

> the East Dulwich forum.

> I live in the corner shop corner of

> Goodrich/Landcroft opposite the bombsite/now flats

> you and Computedshorty are talking about - the one

> that was a grocers, not the sweet shop.

> Computedshorty has told me something of this

> crossroads, i'd be interested in any other

> memories you could share, it's great to learn

> about the house and its history. Thanks.

I won't be able to write much about your house Annie...but the area around it...was close to home...

Bedtime now...hope to write something tomorrow...

Re: V1 & V2 Bombs dropped on Lordship Lane.

Posted by bob 03 February, 2012 18:56

"Yes I remember the two sisters in 1982 it was said that they still had gas light as they did not trust electricity.

Bob S"

This is true, I removed the gas piping for the lighting from that house when the sisters had moved out. In the bedrooms on each chimney breast were 2x runs of thin gauge gas pipes leading to fittings which held the flame and had to be lit by hand.

computedshorty Wrote:

> The shops on Goodrich / Landcroft Roads used to be

>

> Murtons Sweet Shop then Blackmores and Flectures

> the Grocers.

> Facing was a dirlect two story building that was

> in the process of converting into flats

> fenced arround when the war started wit byh scaffold

> boards stood upright, this was owned by Tilt

> Estates, when the war

> ended we pulled all that boarding down and set it

> alight in the

> middle of the crossroads, for the Victory

> celebrations, the heat was so great that the

> margerine stacked in the

> Grocers shop window melted and ran down the

> incline of the window display and could be seen

> against the Glass window.

> There was a Red Post Box on that corner, my

> brother who was serving abroad received his

> letters

> partly burnt as they had been in the Post Box.

> The picture is where the bombs dropped

> The other picture is the newer buildings built

> there it was never a bomb site, the old number 1 &

> 3 Goodricch Road and the back was having additions

> with pink fletton bricks with a flat roof, that we

> used to climb up to.

> The old inner rooms did still have peeling

> wallpaper. The two staircases were removed and a

> set of outside steps were being built on the end

> near the church.

I'm sure you are correct ref the part finished building.!...that explains why it was inaccessible ....another remembered bomb site...with flapping bits of wallpaper and broken fireplaces..(I checked your map to see if it was in fact a bomb site), was opposite the chip shop..on Landcroft Road, close to Whately road. I might have known you! but you are approx ten years older, (from your toddler in the garden, photo)..Yes! That post box! I posted all my Christmas cards there for about 15 years.. Annie..I will remember some more, later. What became of Ronnie Partridge? ......

PS...you wrote about 'the other picture' I can't find another picture...is it attached to a diff. Post? Or will you repost, please?

Gas lamps for light in houses were commonplace

When I was a child..(we lived in Bassano St, Kent House)

I remember my ma buying gas mantels, tiny white lace socks, fireproof, that fitted over the gas flame to spread the light...They had to be replaced when they wore thin, a hole in the mantel caused a popping noise, tiny explosions I suppose, of gas in the wrong place! My pa always lit the gas with a Swan Vestas match, I think ..held close to the mantel, while pulling on one of the thin metal chains, each side of the lamp. The light was variable, depending on how far that chain was pulled..and it made a squeaky metallic noise..like a hinge that needed a spot of oil...

KidKruger Wrote:

> Re: V1 & V2 Bombs dropped on Lordship Lane.

> Posted by bob 03 February, 2012 18:56

>

> "Yes I remember the two sisters in 1982 it was

> said that they still had gas light as they did not

> trust electricity.

> Bob S"

>

>

> This is true, I removed the gas piping for the

> lighting from that house when the sisters had

> moved out. In the bedrooms on each chimney breast

> were 2x runs of thin gauge gas pipes leading to

> fittings which held the flame and had to be lit by

> hand.

This is the picture now of 1 & 3 Goodrich Road.

The open space opposite the Fish Shop was a smaller bomb that I can't trace.

Before the Police Station was Built in Lordship Lane there were two shops from up Whatley Road then a space also from that bomb the house that had gone then had wooden shores between to support the two buildings that survived.

The large bomb that dropped in Landcroft Road was between Goodrich Road & Crystal Palace Road where we were buried in the debris. I think I was about nine.

I remember next to The Grocery Shop in Goodrich lived George Wood who froze fruit flavoured ices at home and sold them from his box tricycle calling out "Georgie Wood's got a little bit of good". A penny for a stick of triangular ice,that most of us dropped.

computedshorty Wrote:

> This is the picture now of 1 & 3 Goodrich Road.

It looks very green and posh...!

Barbara Martin and her mum, and the Roberts fam. Lived in the next, or maybe second or third, much older property after that new house...

The trees just in sight behind that house..must be

Partly the church garden and partly our garden when we lived in the prefab, on that space, now gone. There's some kind of govt department building there now I think..I do know for sure...that although the prefabs were all cleared away...the apple tree my pa bought in brixton Woolworths, was left in place..I saw it briefly...many years later. I suppose it might be still there. An enormous apple tree.

Woollies, Brixton, was very dark and also gas lit then...with sawdust on the floor in winter.

You were old enough to understand more and to be shattered by the war experience. Old enough to have terrible memories..I sometimes wonder how anyone could have come out of it all and just got on with life..everyone must have been profoundly broken by it. I have one or two memories though very small, I was about 2 or 3..

Remember being very scared and thinking my pa couldn't help because he was scared too, when we went into the air raid shelter..(Bassano st shelter)

I had the funny face style gas mask for kids..There are quite a few recordings of the bombs, exploding, online..and the sound of the bomber that had its engine cut out..a moment or two of silence, (buzz bomb?) before the bomb exploded.That made me remember ...hearing those sounds again, and the air raid siren and all clear..

> The open space opposite the Fish Shop was a

> smaller bomb that I can't trace.

> Before the Police Station was Built in Lordship

> Lane there were two shops from up Whatley Road

> then a space also from that bomb the house that

> had gone then had wooden shores between to support

> the two buildings that survived.

> The large bomb that dropped in Landcroft Road was

> between Goodrich Road & Crystal Palace Road where

> we were buried in the debris. I think I was about

> nine.

> I remember next to The Grocery Shop in Goodrich

> lived George Wood who froze fruit flavoured ices

> at home and sold them from his box tricycle

> calling out "Georgie Wood's got a little bit of

> good". A penny for a stick of triangular ice,that

> most of us dropped.

another annie Wrote:

> Hi bingobojngo, welcome to the entertainments of

> the East Dulwich forum.

> I live in the corner shop corner of

> Goodrich/Landcroft opposite the bombsite/now flats

> you and Computedshorty are talking about - the one

> that was a grocers, not the sweet shop.

Thank you for your welcome, Annie..

I do remember the shop that is now your house...I know Mr Blackmore's shop became a house too..its strange to think of your life ..and mine ..in layers on those streets, at such different times...I didnt go to 'your' shop much..my ma used to do all the shopping, further down Lordship Lane..Aylings green grocers, The united dairies, Hunts the sweet shop, I can see them all...

but.

The Baptist Church, (close to your house) Boys Brigade, Girls Life Brigade, YPF..were all busy in those days and once per month there was a full uniform march around those streets with the Boys Brigade band. Hilarious really..they hit an awful lot of bum notes and my uniform was unbearably itchy. Next time you walk past the stone steps that lead down to the Church basement from Goodrich road..you can see the metal bar that I believe still holds up the railings, from the street to the church wall..its bent in the middle..because it was used so much ..and bent out of shape, being swung on so much. Especially by the bb boys who did all kinds of army style keep fit. (Nothing so energetic for the girls brigade) One fellow I remember could leapfrog over your nearby red postbox..

The next corner down from your house, was R Whites(?) Offlicense.

I got Tizer, Smiths crisps there, and light ale for my pa..my mum only ever drank tonic water with a slice of lemon. It seemed quite exotic to me! There was an old style telephone box outside R Whites, with a black dial phone and the Button B and Button A connection ...you had to feed it four pennies and press button A when connected. Nobody vandalised phones in those days, but they were peed in, sometimes, so I can remember the pong of the telephone box. It was the time of those very serious thick smogs, caused by smokey chimneys that caused lots of deaths. So all the street lamps ..there was one outside your house and Mr Blackmores shop..were changed to bright orange sodium lamps, or it was impossible to see anything at all at night. My bus got lost on the way to school in the smog.

Further up Landcroft, after Mr Blackmore's shop, an old lady lived who had gone a little crazy. As many did through the war years. She always wore a floral wrap apron and slippers, and she used to sweep the length of the pavement between Goodrich and the next street up...poor old gal, who knew what was happening in her mind for

all the while she was shouting abuse at imaginary enemies, and hateful people that no one could see. She wore out her brooms very fast, so she was usually sweeping with just the wooden head.

David Lyons lived a few houses down from you...in Goodrich. His mum bought one of the latest radiograms..huge bits of shiny brown furniture..that opened (usually with a slowly pirouetting tiny ballet dancer inside..and glowing 'cocktail bar') To play 78s or 45s or 33s records.

Frankie Laine, Johnny Ray (he was famous for crying real tears as he sung) Peggy Lee..Frank Sinatra.. We could play only 78s at home..an o!d wind up record player...but I had the ballad of Davy crocket, and Max Bygraves ..and "Green Door" can't remember who sang that!

> Computedshorty has told me something of this

> crossroads, i'd be interested in any other

> memories you could share, it's great to learn

> about the house and its history. Thanks.

I remember the two brick curved concrete roof Air Raid Shelters in Basano Street after the Steam Laundry.

I lived fourteen houses up from you in LL.

Facing your Prefab used to be our doctors, when bombed they moved to the corner of Townley Road.

When I left school at fourteen I worked for Greenaways Builders at the surviving house next to the prefabs, Putting up Prefabs.

They did not take the iron railings from the church as there was a drop and steps going down, this did not stop us working loose one of the iron rails and dropping it down the gap in the tram Track causing a tremendous flash, and stopped the trams.

I think that the Offlicence on the corner of Jennings Road was called The Wenlock it was all tiled front in dark blue. If you go on Google Earth you can see the remaning two prefabs opposite.

computedshorty Wrote:

Yes!...Google is excellent..it allows quite close inspection of the streets in many towns and cities. I use Google 'Street Level'..using that..its possible to take a stroll right now, online, past my Grans house in Colwell road, and on through the adjoining backstreets to Bassano Street, past the Epiphany hall..(its outside staircase now covered) my pa was on fire watch on the roof of that buildinmg. The bomb shelter we went to..is covered by a car park now, directly opposite the furnace of the steam laundry..the above-ground brick part of it covering the entrance stairs to the underground shelter, is no longer there.

You can probably look to see if those blue tiles are still there!

..with the street level google.

I was thinking about the blue tiles last night. They were a beautiful deep blue..

I think half way up the exterior walls to window level?

Greenaway's! I know the name very well and can see the sign! It was green and white. ..were there builders supplies stored at the back of that building? It was a large smart building ...with bright lit offices, not at all like builders supplies shops. I think I remember heaps of building materials, seen from the garden of the first prefab..

I think it must have been quite a dangerous job, building prefabs..I believe they were made of sheets of material made of asbestos mixed with cement? No one thought of asbestos as a bad material for workmen to cut up, then? If much thought was ever given to healthy work conditions then..I do not think it was.

There was a lawn in front of Greenaway's and a brick wall that followed the slope of that bit of steep hill, in 'steps'..I always walked on it from about 4 years old..the step in the wall nearest the gate was quite a long way to jump down. Our prefab was not on the street, but at the back of those near the main road. We had a very big garden..not quite big enough to squash in another prefab, I suppose. I dont think I knew a single person in the houses where you lived, but I remember walking past them on the way to Dulwich library, and the shops near The Plough. They were big houses..perhaps three floors high, each with a semi basement..and small front garden. There was a flight of steps up to the front door? Plane trees along the street, I think...

There was a dentist with a big moustache..in the old house on Townley rd corner, I think the doctor was on the other side? A newer building, with a hall attached?

I took some photos on one brief return..I must check to see where you pulled the iron bar from the church wall. You sound like you were a bit wild! One small boy from the other side of Lordship Lane opposite your house, I remember him as a naughty person, he used to like throwing stones..at passers by.

One day I grabbed him, after he threw stones at me.(I was about 15).and smacked his bare leg, quite hard, but not a serious damage..He burst into tears, and yelled how he would tell his mum. I hope I persuaded him not to throw stones any more ..his mum never came to find me! I suppose I would be arrested for the same smack now!

> I remember the two brick curved concrete roof Air

> Raid Shelters in Basano Street after the Steam

> Laundry.

> I lived fourteen houses up from you in LL.

> Facing your Prefab used to be our doctors, when

> bombed they moved to the corner of Townley Road.

> When I left school at fourteen I worked for

> Greenaways Builders at the surviving house next to

> the prefabs, Putting up Prefabs.

> They did not take the iron railings from the

> church as there was a drop and steps going down,

> this did not stop us working loose one of the iron

> rails and dropping it down the gap in the tram

> Track causing a tremendous flash, and stopped the

> trams.

> I think that the Offlicence on the corner of

> Jennings Road was called The Wenlock it was all

> tiled front in dark blue. If you go on Google

> Earth you can see the remaning two prefabs

> opposite.

Living here there are places that other people are unaware of.

Greenaway & Son Builders House on Lordship Lane was used as Offices, they were immaculate, no builders equipment was ever kept here, they had a yard in Sunwell Street Peckham, now long gone, and is now a Park. Their lorries were kept in locked Railway Arches under Queens Road Station.

I was an Apprentice Carpenter signed up until I reached twenty one, on reaching eighteen I opted to go into the army, rather than delay going until I reached twenty one.

I worked on bombed houses in Barry Road / Etherow Street / Friern Road, then on Prefabs at Stuart Road Peckham, them working at the yard in Peckham making timber roof trusses for Airy Houses in Pluckly Kent that were taken by the lorries in sections.

We then built new houses on Knoyle Street Deptford, I was involved in every thing from marking out the site to the finished houses, the general foreman said I must learn it all as it would be needed in my future.

The tradesmen were classed as direct labour, and as the Forces and could not leave an employer, so were moved to the next site, some places miles away, I could not be told to move as I was still under age.

The work was now getting more distant and I opted to work in the Yard supplying the equipment for the coming sites, anything from huts / scaffolding /mixers / shoves, picks, hammers.

When a site was finished all that was left was taken to the next site if it could be used, or returned to the yard.

During this time no new vehicles were made so ex military lorries were bought and altered at the yard to suit the equipment of builders, painted grey with a large GREENAWAY & Son Ltd in red.

I have since made contact with the son Frank Greenaway.

Mentioning the Boys Brigade, I recall that the Scouts hut was behind the prefabs opposite, reached down an alleyway beside the first house in Milo Road, there was also two more houses and a tennis court there.

The Milo Garage hade two petrol pumps, and they did servicing cars, this was demolished the Camberwell Council built two rows of single garages about forty in all, I rented one.

If anybody parked a car at night in a main Road they had to fix a red light on the roof of the car, a lead was crocodile clipped on the terminals of the battery, we often found in the morning that this small light had drained the battery flat, so we had to start the car with putting the starting handle through the front bumper engaging the socket and turning the handle until it started, of coarse you had to turn on the ignition and set the engine to run first, it often kicked back giving you a severe jolt.

Thanks computedshorty and bingobongo, really interesting posts.

Thanks computedshorty for the info about the Camberwell Borough Council website. I never venture into the Lounge, maybe I should. The new development on the Lordship Lane prefabs site has had to designed around the remaining prefab, the one that always has a lovely garden. He is going to be able to stay in his home apparently.

Bingobongo I like the way you describe peoples lives as being in layers in the same places at different (and yes some much more terrifying than present) times. Seems to me one of the oldest survivors is the postbox on the crossroads, an early 'VR' one. A month or so ago I woke up early one morning and looked out to see a couple of men tidying up after repainting it. Strange timing but makes sense I suppose. I wonder how many layers of red paint there are on it?

I think ComputedShorty us your man, from memory he knows / can point you to dates and details - from memory his Dad was builder in charge of assessing damage and instructing works like shoring-up and demolition.

That bomb damaged the top floor of my (3 storey) house, which had to be replaced.

David. This is the record you wanted.

Percy Seymore was my school chum he had his legs badly injured.

A large boy who died aged 50 falling from a roof.

I had so many memories on this page I had to remove most of the early ones posted about 2009.

Dulwich/Camberwell SE22

East Dulwich

Between Crystal Palace Road and Darrell Road

V1 Flying Bomb

3 Killed

03/08/1944 at 10:24

This was the 3rd of the 4 V1's that were to fall in this small area of East Dulwich,

It struck at the South end of Crystal Palace and Darrell Roads It demolished 14 houses and shops and caused damaged to 100 others. The area has been re- developed with post-war housing.

I'm sorry you removed your posts, computedshorty...

I was thinking about some of the things you wrote last time...

Eg the tennis court! You are right...probably lots of places we never knew about, I never knew about that alleyway, though wonder if it was a continuation of the one that started at the top of Woodward road ..and went down to Milo between the houses on Lordship Lane, and Woodward.. There was a Chiropodists on the corner opposite the Library, my Gran had her corns and bunions treated there... And an archway with a short back alley..a short cut..close by..through from Woodward to Lordship Lane...I remember seeing the alleyway..wondering where it went to.

Interested to read about building work in that time..my father worked on repairs etc to bombed houses.. No shortage of work, then.

I was about 4 years old when we *almost* bought a car..a beautiful beast, a 30s Riley, as I remember it.. that had to be started as you describe..with running boards and those little orange arms that stuck out for indicators. It was fifty quid in someone's scrap yard, in Catford. My father was not good at buying bargains, but it was a big disappointment not to drive home in it, when he decided a car with no insurance was a bad idea. We couldn't afford it, anyway..I dont think my mother would have been pleased.

The Boy Scouts assoc..I can't remember a single boy scout...except a few of the boys at St Johns, wore the uniform sometimes..

Frank Greenaway sounds familiar...I had forgotten Mrs Merton ..I feel reasonably sure was Mr. Blackmores sister. I remember the sign painters, painting 'Blackmore' over the sweetshop doorway. door instead. And..yes the repainting of that postbox, a few times!

Townley road..I saw barrage balloons, high in the sky..walking there with my mother..I think they were supposed to be some kind of block to enemy aircraft..and remember the searchlights at night. Our parents lived through two terrible wars. The stress must have been almost unbearable.

computedshorty Wrote:

> David. This is the record you wanted.

> Percy Seymore was my school chum he had his legs

> badly injured.

> A large boy who died aged 50 falling from a roof.

> I had so many memories on this page I had to

> remove most of the early ones posted about 2009.

>

> Dulwich/Camberwell SE22

> East Dulwich

> Between Crystal Palace Road and Darrell Road

> V1 Flying Bomb

> 3 Killed

> 03/08/1944 at 10:24

> This was the 3rd of the 4 V1's that were to fall

> in this small area of East Dulwich,

> It struck at the South end of Crystal Palace and

> Darrell Roads It demolished 14 houses and shops

> and caused damaged to 100 others. The area has

> been re- developed with post-war housing.

>

> .

• 8 months later...

Good afternoon folks, Someone mentioned the names Alec and Allan LIVERSAGE in their posts some while ago.

I knew them well! They were my uncles. They both lived at 92 Landcroft Road (with my Dad, Nan and Grandad) some time in the 1940's.

Unfortunately, Dad (Arthur), Alex and Allan have all passed away now.

I was born in East Dulwich Hospital in 1949 and my Dad was the eldest of the 3 brothers.

Dad went to Coburg Road school in Camberwell, not far from the Old Kent Road.

He left at age 15 and went to work (Britain etc were at War then)and I?m not sure what he got up to!

Alec and Allan went to Heber Road School.

I think Dad and Alec tried to sign up for the Army,in Camberwell, and were told to go home! (Tooo young)

Allan was a useful footballer and was given a chance to join the Arsenal Colts team but chose not to join!! He was also good at Tennis and many a time (when I was knee high to a grasshopper), I would watch him play on the courts in Peckham Rye. It was my job to get him Lemonade from the local sweet shop.

I remember being told about the bomb. Practically, next door!

I also remember Mum and Dad talking about people they knew in the Landcroft Road and the only name I remember is the Filkins.

Mum and Dad used to go to the Magda Inn on Lordship Lane and met most of their friends there.

I lived at 92 Landcoft until approx 1954. I can always remember how we went through to the back of the house where the kitchen was and the back door to the Garden. I was constantly, digging up the earth and trying to eat it.

From the garden, I could see the church on the left and Lordship Lane. Also there were some prefabs and one of my school mates lived in the prefab directly behind us.

I also remember my Nan had a mangle (?) and a big coal box.

When we moved to Peckham Rye (Peckham Rye Lane, if you know it), I started going to Friern Road School and can still remember my fist day! I remember lovely walks going home with Mum through the park.

I can also remember, the day we all left the school and trooped off to Heber Road school. That's when I met my first love, Lind Allen Haha!

I can recall Mr Heester the Head, who slippered me for calling some boys 'kids'. ? I was obviously not middle class!

My first teacher there was Miss Rabbatt, who I recall was simply lovely.

Mr Clarke (English teacher?)was from Manchester (same as my Mum), and would insist on saying to me every day, "ee ba gum lad yer cheekiness will get the better of you one day"

There was also one other teacher who I cannot now recall his name however, he used to give me the ?slipper? regularly. I guess he couldn?t cope with my ?lip?.

The lads I can remember at Heber were, Philip Poole, Kevin Whately, Peter Osman, Richard Green and Donald Smith,

The girls, were Irene Henderson, my first crush ;-),Linda Allen, Jenny ?, Maureen ? and Brenda (who lived in Barry road nr Goodrich and I thought she was 'posh' and I carried her books home and waited for her to pat me on the head and say ?thank you Ronnie'. What a gentleman!

I remember, the shops on the corner, fish and chip shop, sweet shop, bakers?

Lastly, who remembers the Pie and Mash shop and next door, the TV shop in Uplands Road?

Both had wonderful smells, haha!

Sorry, I didn't mean to rattle on! I hope it inspires some memories for you to savour.

P.S. Anyone remember playing ?Tin Can Tommy' in Tyrrel Road? (there were very few cars then)and ?knock down ginger??

• 6 months later...

Ron Liversage you wrote

"From the garden, I could see the church on the left and Lordship Lane. Also there were some prefabs and one of my school mates lived in the prefab directly behind us"..

The prefabs behind your house were home territory!....so mates.Would be..The Patricks? Micalefs? Longmans? Seymours?..Two more families..Billy and Linda in one and a boy in another...can't remember those names...all of them there in the 50s.

Great to read these stories. Since there seems to be alot of local knowledge here, could anyone tell me anything about the now converted shops halfway up Crystal Palace Rd between North Cross and Whatley? Anyone have pics of that stretch. Please PM if this is a bit off topic....