V1 & V2 Bombs dropped on Lordship Lane.

• 4 weeks later...
computedshorty,your threads are so interesting.I lived in Whateley Road from when i was born 1936 until 1949 when we moved to 13 landcroft road.I remember the Filkins at the top end of Landcroft and the Bowens as you have mentioned.I was especially struck with the beautiful Brenda when i was about 13 or 14 years old.In Whateley i lived at no.74 which was a few doors down from the Gherkins.My father Usually called Buck was the street bookmaker who stood at the Gherkins house doorway.I can remember most of the family names of the people who lived my end of the street with the basements, up until you reached the posher end which had small front gardens starting with a family called pamplet fathers nickname babe.My best friends in the street were the Don family boys namely Raymond, Kenny,and Clifford.I recall during the war we all used to use the,what was it,Anderson shelter in the back garden.Full of bed bugs and very damp.It was so small but had to house 3 families when the siren went.Anyway i enjoy reading your very interesting threads as you are a mine of information.Keep it up Shorty.Regards John Butterworth.

Hi John. I remember Sids dad he used to stand on the stone steps in his vest and braces, his mum lost nearly all her teeth, just one Pickle chaser showing in the front, she used to bang away on the piano, but could not play.

You would have lived opposite the Fish & Chip Shop. when you moved do you remember on the corner of Pellatt Road the Doctors?

I remember Brenda her brother Eric was my age, ( I understand his wife commited suicide ), and the Filkins, & Lenny Davis, the Cars, the Holmans. two Westcombe girls. Do you remember John Sissons his mum was a Park Keeper used to ride a bike and wore a kind of Cowboy hat.

You must remember Kenny Jenkins he had a Lanchester car, preselect gear change, he never bought more than a gallon of petrol we would all have to cough up to buy some to get home.

The school was mostly empty as the kids had been evacuated, only a handful of us left in class I think there was only about three teachers then. One had a stif leg he had I think been invalided out of the forces, he was the sports teacher.

I think you are more the age of my twin brother & sister Brian & Sheiler. they were born in 1938.

I cant remember what happend to those houses where the back of the Police Station is now I know that there was a few missing in Lordhip Lane, those that remaind were propped up. Was that corner shop selling motor bikes?

I like to hear other peoples memories

rgutsell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In central London, there were huge bomb

> sites. In the mid fifties, my best mate and I

> would buy Red Rover bus tickets, travel together

> into London by bus, and spend the day clambering

> about in deserted sites, in dark archways, cellars

> etc etc.

I grew up in Fitzrovia (near the Post Office Tower). Your post brings back many pleasant memories of a childhood spent exploring the hundreds of bombsites that littered the City of Westminster, Bloomsbury and Marylebone in those days.

Hi Shorty,think i remember Mrs.Sissons as being a park keeper in Dulwich Park.She used to wear a brown suit with long trousers,the first lady we ever saw wearing trousers.(if this is the same person)The shop on the corner of Whateley and L.Lane,i recollect as being a used car sales place(but this might be later than you are thinking)Further up was Aylings the greengrocers and next was a newsagents then came the houses.I do have a faint recollection of a doctors surgery in Pellat Road but cannot put a name to him.My doctor was Hunter in Townley Road and i think his partner there was a Dr.Pitman.You remember the newsagents opposite Bells the ironmongers corner of Whateley @l.lane his name was Poole and we as kids used to go in and nick his sweets as he was a bit short sighted and about 80yrs.old.There was a shoemenders next door to him i think.Then on the next corner Jobbins the cycle seller if my memory serves me.Getting back to Whateley do you remember a grocers shop called Heards she was a widow with a daughter named Bessie this was at the bottom end towards L.L.WE used to have to take our ration books there for groceries.She would always allow tick and custormers paid end of week if she was lucky.Sid G. was always reading the Sherlock Holmes books.His dad used to chase him down the road weilding a leather belt at times.Sid had a good mate from L.L. house opposite the Magdala his name was Alan Read (nipper for short)and another good mate was Kenny Jenkins.The fish shop you spoke about was run by a Jewish family think Jack Silver was his name.Used to get a pennyworth of cracklings and a fish and chips those days was about a shilling.Back to L.L. there was David Greigs,Place the bakers,the Oil shop,the off-licence on the corner (not sure Fellbrick Road).You remember the pieman who walked around with a tray of pies on his head(think they were made of horsemeat)Another street walker crying out ICE THERE LUVERLY that was Guilliano who also had a shop North Cross Rd.As i said before my father was a street bookie who stood on the steps of Sids house just after the war,everyone called him Buck.Lots of things i remember which i will relate to you later.By the way i am now living in sunny Thailand where i have been for the last 8yrs.(no snow here kiddo)Nice chatting to you mate,hope ive not bored you and look forward to your very interested posts.Take care,regards John.

This is Kenny Jenkins Lanchester Car at the Chinbrook Pub.

Those in the picture Ken, Pete, Ron Amoss, ( he lived in that building that burnt, called Lukenau House on the Seaux Estate ), Longey.

It was Doctors Hunter & Pitman, they moved to Lordship Lane but it got bombed so they moved down to the corner of Townley Road. I reemember the Coal Merchant right up the other end of the road he also hired out those Barrows that the market stall holders had. I remember Pauline Snashfold lived behind the Crystal Palace pub, first house in Darrell Road, married Freddy Btritain. I'm still looking for old photo's. we did not take many in those days. Speak latter.

The off-licence was on the corner of Bawdale Rd.and L.L. named Whites.The back of the offie stretched all the way back to Whateley and stabled horses during late 40s early 50s.Think there was another bakery opposite Whites on the other corner of Bawdale.Ah and Lockharts the toy shop (what a mess) and Kellaway the undertaker.Freemans the butcher.Thought id get back Shorty,as memory failed me regarding Fellbrick Rd.Thats a good pic of Ken at the Chinbrook,taken with the good old Brownie camera no doubt,no colour pics them days.Smart pic of Friern as well mate.Remember the coalman used to deliver with a horse and cart, if you ran short you could always get a bag of coal in i think Ulverscroft Rd just off Whateley his name Bicknells.Anscombes in Crystal Palace Road sold livestock and used to display baby chicks in the window who used to gather together under a dustbin lid which had a light bulb fixed through the middle so as to give them heat.(plenty of dead-uns in there mate)

I used to pal around with John Sissons' son, Colin, back in the Sixties & Seventies. I well remember his Grandmother, she used to chase us all over Dulwich Park. When I was a little kid I recall Dai Hughes in Northcross Dairy, he delivered milk locally with a hand operated electric cart. The Doctor in pellatt Rd in my day was Gunawardene. A jolly, rotund little man from Sri Lanka with hairy ears and pince nez, he always had a cup of weak tea on his desk, like water with just a few tea leaves in the bottom of the cup. A nice Man badly slighted then reprieved.

Does anyone remember the name of the small motor repair shop inbetween the EDT and Dews the tobacconist? The back entrance came out onto Spurling where the 37 bus terminated.

I cant remenber that we did anything of great damage, perhaps went into the bushes to find a ball, and we got told off. Thinking back all those years she was only doing her job by protecting the bushes for the pleasure of others, think what might have happend had the trees and bushes got torn down gradually to leave an empty space.

Did you know that besides the four main gates and the small gate in Firemans Ally there was a service Gate.

It was a pair of wooden gates that opened at the corner of Court Lane Gardens nearly facing Dovercort Road, the very long lane passed behind the Park Cricket feild to the Service yard & Greenhouses and Keepers sheds. There was an exit that came out of it into the inner road just past the big Keepers house opposite the gate facing the Art Gallery.

In the winter months the rowing boats used to be moved to that yard, as the pond would freeze over and we were allowed to go on the ice the pond is less than a metre deep, I have seen it drained several times, once was for the wall that led to the stream to be rebuilt, just by the footpath bridge, that bridge was made of old tree logs. The water would come from the pond that was higher overflowed into a lower stream that passed under the road bridge and followed to cross the road by the Art gallery to near Balair then to the river Effra.

There used to be a Stage near the Court Lane entrance made fron steel skaffoding tubes and a canvas or tarpauling sides, the stage was forward with a canopy over it, the performers dressed in a space behind a curtain, not a very profesional show.

The address system was a microphone on a stand middle stage, wires going to a 5cwt Ford Van with a trumpet shaped Loaudspeaker on the roof parked alongside the railings of the seating area that had those iron framed folding chairs with slatted wooden seats, as the performance went on the small feet of the chair sank into the grassy turf to let the occupant fall off. I think it cost six pence for a seat. The show was more like the ones seen on the seaside Piers.

Dr. Gunawardene died back in the early eighties, he was my Doctor during the 60's & 70's. I didn't know he was a Doctor there as far back as the 40's. Yes, he was struck off for a time but re-instated when it was found that the emergency termination he performed actually saved the woman's life. My family joined his books from MacMillan down on East Dulwich Rd, opposite Poo Park (Goose Green).

I remember the park service entrance at Court Lane Gardens, along that track were plum, almond and crabapple trees which my mate & I would scrump, at different times of the year of course. There was a second lady Parkkeeper whose name I can't remember and there was also Bob, a lovely man with a full, Grizzly Adams type beard. He liked kids and kept us under control diplomatically.

Hi, yes I am one of the Filkins I have 3 brothers Jim Joe & Ron my sisters louie, Jess, Grace, Vi, Florrie myself Theresa & my sis June we all lived at 138 landcroft rd. I can remember a mr Pitman, my brother tells me he was a royal gardiner that I am not sure dose anyone remember?. There was the Pierces, keithy Brown also there where molly leggon her husband and the Laylands. My sister June married Roger Layland. Then there where the Drinkwaters (they were a ginger family)they lived in Thompson RD. You had the Cottrills who owned a grocery & sweet shop I remember him being deaf and some kids would ridicule him. Facing the Cotrills was an off lience I was told was run by old mother mann.

I do remember the crumpet man coming around swinging his bell loudly with his tray perched on top of his head they were lovely cooked in front of the big black range fire they would be worth something now. I also remember the Carrs, they were a large family like ours also i remember the Holmans, i believe they opened a shop down Lordship Lane. I remember the Coffee's the dad was a baker.

I remember it was fun living down Lancroft Road in the old days, playing in the road (hop scotch, knock down ginger and just generally annoying everyone!!!!!!) It was a safe place to live and play unlike today.

Hi Theresa.

I remember you all, you lived right up the top of the road in a three story house, then two doors down from the Holmans the bomb dropped and injured Norman Luff, they built a brick watertank there, then after the war four new two story houses.

Cottrills shop had blue shutters pulled down over the windows at night, the Off Licence was Mrs Cross's.

I also remember the Carrs, they were a large family, we were all at the house for a party when one of the children died a cot death upstairs. One of the girls was nicknamed Dozey.

I have been trying to remember if there was a builder that used to keep his ladders in his back garden facing your house corner of Crystal Palace Road. Do you remember anyone from Lordship Lane?

I think I'm a generation or so down from most posters on here. I remember Eric Leggon, when I was a kid. I also remember the Carrs, Barry & Alan, they moved down to Bridgend as I recall and either Alan or Barry was killed in a car crash.

There was a sweetshop on the corner of Landcroft & Goodrich called Blackmores, he always had an old, yellow (NSU) motor scooter parked outside. On the opposite corner was Bartlett's a grocery shop, one of the daughters was named Sue. There were also the Lockes, Father was a costermonger, had a lorry which he parked in Goodrich Road.

Bottom of Landcroft, in the newer houses possibly number ten, were the Smiths, Edwin, Nicky, Paul, Neil and I think there was one other, elder.

Yes, Colin's Sister, John's daughter, name escapes me but she married Dave way back. Sorry to hear about John, he looked after us when we were kids, always gave us a place to get into out of the cold. Mum's a lovely lady too, hope she's well.

My Mother caught a tram from the stop where that bomb came down, where the Co-op is now. She hadn't got as far as Hornimans when the bomb hit. Five minutes later......

Do any of you remember 2 x sisters call Cissy and Vi, the name may have been Clapp or Trapp, who lived at 208 Crystal Palace Rd until the early/mid 1980's, they apparently moved out whilst in their 90's to an old people's home. And died a few days afterwards.

They has always lived at the house I hear.

A family I know asked me to mention this as they knew them.

Sorry to hear John Sissons had died, he was in the same class as me in Heber Road school and later Friern Road school facing the Rye. He lived in Landcroft Road just down from Heber Road.

On the corner of Jennings Road was an Off Licence, and on the other coner the house owner bought a car in 1937 he kept it in the garden, there was a gate from Lancroft Road into it, the car was an Austin Seven, Big Seven, like a Ruby but the back was slightly longer where the spare wheel was kept inside a boot, always remember these cars the seats had a pump up innertube in them like one of those folded jumping crackers. In the sixties my brother bought if off of him.