V1 & V2 Bombs dropped on Lordship Lane.

Hi Shorty sorry I am a long while answering but you wanted to know if I knew any one in Lordship Lane I do know my

brother Ron was friends with a Terry Tonks,Terry Garland and a John Shipman they were always out on there

bikesI heard that John Shipman had a accident and he then emigrated to australia I dont know if he ever

returned to England. Idid know Molly and Eric Leggon they lived 3 doors away from us ther was also the Coffee family

the father was a baker but does anyone remember Alec Liversage Iam sure he lived down Landcroft Rd but I cant help with the builder you mentioned at the top end of Landcroft rd

Luke20 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> just wondering is jester the same person who

> married ellen and had 2 sons called david & john

> also john sissons died about 3 years ago im

> friends with his daughter

Yeah Luke,think i am that person,my name John.Also had a daughter Susan.We lived in L.L.for a time then moved on to Catford.Have sent you a private e.mail

• 1 year later...

Hello Northlondoner, Sorry to trouble you long after your post. To explain:- My father was in the London Fire Brigade and stationed in Lordship Lane at station No47. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the station was hit by a V1. This is confirmed by both Stephen Henden's excellent website and the colour-coded LCC maps held at London Metropolitan Archive, of which I have a copy. However, the reason for waking this sleeping thread is your reference to Hindman's Road. You see, I have it on good authority that one of his work-mates was a Frank Edwards, a hairdresser/barber from Hindman's Road. Do you know, or can you help by telling me if there is any present day relatives of Frank, still in the area. I have exhausted all family knowledge in my quest for info, but still have many gaps to fill.

NB I used to live in Melbourne Grove (my late father's house) but am now in west Gloucestershire, a tad difficult to pop around for myself!

That subject was raised by me in 2009 some time back now, I had deleted many of my posts as there were so many taking up space.

Sorry I dont remember the Barber my Dad cut all of the families hair, he was the Prison Barber while he was Prisoner of War.

He used several sized brown pudding basins over the head and cut off anything that still showed

If you look at the iron railings around the Dog Kennel Hill estate opposite ED station,you will see that they were made out of surplus stretchers made for use in the war. After it was all over, they were put to use all over London as fences and rails

The flats at the bottom of Worlingham Rd stand where there was a church that got destroyed

Lynne

East Dulwich Community Centre, Darrell Road. SE 22 8N.

It might be of interest of the existing area prior to the Blitz in the second world war.

Darrell Road backing onto Crystal Palace Road starting with the shop on the corner of Whatley Road, then a Warehouse with an upper story where a doorway opened to the street a pole protruded above it a GInny Wheel ( Steel Circular Wheel that a rope was used to pull or lower the sacks or boxes ).

The houses were continuous terraces on both sides of the road built to two stories with bay windows these were built in pairs ( Front Doors close together ) The first house No 88 was left handed entrance, The Snashfold Family lived here.

The Crystal Palace Public House, on the corner of Whatley Road, next to the pub going towards Uplands Road were three storied with shops below an entrance between the shops just along led to a Corn Chandlers Warehouse where horse drawing laden loads of straw and bags of wheat, there was always a lot of straw blowing about here, across the road facing this entrance was the last of the shops it was a Pet Shop. I can remember the baby chicks in the window under a dust bin lid hanging down with a light bulb underneath to keep the chicks warm. We bought a tabby kitten there.

Hindman?s Road was much the same two storied houses, but a more varied style some Terraces some semi detached, toward Upland Road on the right the houses were far older, and a row or shops facing.

There was backing onto Darrel Road, Hills Dairy depot and yard where the green milk carts loaded to deliver to the streets.

There was a Yard used by the Singer Sewing Machine Company, early morning a fleet of little vans would drive away. To return in the evening to park.

This whole area was very badly damaged in the bombing during the war, it is totally rebuilt now and very few things give a clue to how it was then.

Many of the families who had lost their home had to move elsewhere, taking any item of furniture or clothing that could be saved, it was possible to hire fruiterers wheel barrows at local shops, these were often seen loaded with the few belonging of those people and being pushed by the mum and kids very few men were still living there as they had been called into the Services, and eventually the father got a letter saying their house had gone, and the remaining family were living in a Church Hall or School that was not being used because the children had been evacuated from London.

I knew many families who lost a member killed, or taken to hospital never returning back to the area.

It is distressing to recall those, and to remember hearing the teacher when the school Register was called, a child did not reply to his name, the teacher called out again the name, a child might raise a hand and say they got bombed last night Sir! Needless to say the classroom gradually had less pupils, who would be encouraged to move to the forward desks.

We had very few Male teaches those we did have were very old or those who had been injured returned from the war, there were women one was very young . Miss Childs she said she was the sister of one of the Crew who bombed the Mohne Dam in Germany. I seem to recall over fify of in those crews got killed.

I remember when I first moved into Hindmans in 1967 that there were prefabs on both sides of the road and on the corner of Hindmans and Underhill was Johnny Pocknells coaches. Next to the yard were 3 houses which I suppose we're all that remained standing after the bombings.

I just wondered whereabouts the dairy was as I have tried to google it but without success.

Records show. V.1. not V2 Rocket.

SE22 Dulwich/Camberwell

V1 Flying Bomb Honor Oak

Between Therapia and Mundania Road

2 Killed

17/08/1944 17:00 P.M.

The V1 struck between Therapia and Mundania Road towards the SW end. 8 houses were demolished and a block of flats damaged and 20 houses damaged in Mundania Road. 50 houses were damaged in Therapia Road. In the Forest Hill Road 14 shops/houses were damaged. The gap in the line of Victorian housing in both Therapia and Mundania road is clearly seen today which has been filled with post war flats.

• 1 year later...

I Stumbled across this site by accident, I have my mum and my uncle visiting today, the lived in Whateley Road and their sister was Violet Don, their nephews are Kenny, Raymond and Clifford. My uncle's name is Len Buckman and my mum is Rose Anscombe previously Buckman. My uncle len remembers you. My grandfather (Father's side) used to own the pet shop in Crystal Palace Road.

They were really shocked at the power of the internet and it started a long conversation of the residents they knew in Whateley Road. It really cheered them up.

We bought our cat from the pet shop in Crystal Palace road, we loved looking in the window at the baby chicks huddled under an upturned dust bin lid hung from the electric cable where a single light bulb kept them warm.

Those I remember who lived in Whately Road ( always pronounced Waitly Road ) 1939 up were Kenny Jenkins, Sid Gerkin, his mum and dad, who lived opposite the fish shop, I remember one year it was very cold they broke up their piano and put it on the fire, Sids dad always stood at the top of the front steps rolled up sleeves & broad leather belt and braces. don't know if this was anything to do with the Bookies runner who called in the road

I remember a young girl who lived next to the Fish and Chip shop in Landcroft Road named Iris Dimmock.

Good fish shop where we got our battered fish and crispy chips and sometimes a bit of crackling and an onion.

Sorry I don't remember your family name perhaps a few more clues?

There was a shop called Blackmores but cant remember where it was.

Blackmore's was on the Southeast corner of Goodrich & landcroft roads, opposite, on the Northeast corner was a small grocers shop run by Mrs. Bartlett. Mrs. Bartlett had two daughters, one was Sue and the other escapes me. Mr. Blackmore used to keep his old, yellow motor scooter outside.

Percy Seymore was in my class at Heber Road School he was badly injured when Darrel & Crystal Palae Road got bombed.

The shops on Goodrich / Landcroft Roads used to be Murtons Sweet Shop and Flectures the Grocers.

Facing was a dirlect two story building that was fenced arround when the war started with scaffold boards stood upright, when the war ended we pulled all that boarding down and set it alight in the middle of the crossing, the heat was so great that the margerine stacked in the Grocers shop melted and ran down the incline of the window display and could be seen against the Glass window.

There was a Red Post Box on that corner, my brother who was serving abroad received his letter partly burnt.

Some of the Lads who live in Lancroft were Lenny Davis, The Carrs, Holmans, Eric Bowen, Dougi Briggs, the Filkins, Alan Liversage.

In Goodrich Road lived the Hardleys, Peter Howden Peter Bill & John Morgan Ray Horgan, Don Utton, Micheal O'brian, Arthur Weston, Peter Hine, and the Ice cream man who rode his tricycle ice box, who used to call out something like " Georgee Wood got a little bit of good ".

We used to sit on Murtons front step making up episodes of Dick Barton, you had to get him out of the situation he was in and get him into another one.

Does anyone remember Bettys Fish and Chip shop which was located round the corner from East Dulwich Foxtons.

My grandmother used to take my mum there and as Betty wrapped the fish up she would praise her own fish and say " look at that lovely fish" :)

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Percy Seymore was in my class at Heber Road School

> he was badly injured when Darrel & Crystal Palae

> Road got bombed.

> The shops on Goodrich / Landcroft Roads used to be

> Murtons Sweet Shop and Flectures the Grocers.

> Facing was a dirlect two story building that was

> fenced arround when the war started with scaffold

> boards stood upright, when the war ended we pulled

> all that boarding down and set it alight in the

> middle of the crossing, the heat was so great that

> the margerine stacked in the Grocers shop melted

> and ran down the incline of the window display and

> could be seen against the Glass window.

> There was a Red Post Box on that corner, my

> brother who was serving abroad received his letter

> partly burnt.

> Some of the Lads who live in Lancroft were Lenny

> Davis, The Carrs, Holmans, Eric Bowen, Dougi

> Briggs, the Filkins, Alan Liversage.

> In Goodrich Road lived the Hardleys, Peter Howden

> Peter Bill & John Morgan Ray Horgan, Don Utton,

> Micheal O'brian, Arthur Weston, Peter Hine, and

> the Ice cream man who rode his tricycle ice box,

> who used to call out something like " Georgee Wood

> got a little bit of good ".

> We used to sit on Murtons front step making up

> episodes of Dick Barton, you had to get him out of

> the situation he was in and get him into another

> one.

There's an early 1950s build block of 4 maisonettes there now, so that fits

Also , the / a post box is still on the corner

• 1 year later...

I came across this forum after googling 'Doctor Gunewardene' of East Dulwich. I remember him pretty well..he was Buddhist, and had a statue of the seated Buddha on his desk, I thought he looked very much like that. Tubby and smiling. A very kind man..who by all accounts I ever heard, and one other I just found via Google, had experience some very rough justice, a three year gaol sentence, it says in the report online... and had been accused of taking part in a botched abortion. Abortion was illegal in those days I think, in any case.

He was a very popular doctor, with a large practice until that time, and I believe his patients rallied round to do all they could to help him. His surgery was the street level ..or at least ...his name was on the big shop window of what had been one of B.T.Anson's builders' supplies shops. Bern Anson had made sure he had that surgery, I think perhaps, free of charge...at any rate..they were good friends. I believe he was there for some years. I never heard a single bad opinion about him, I think he was a much loved doctor, I'm very glad to have been treated by him with great care.

Mr Blackmore and his sister ran the corner shop for as long as I can remember...He was very well spoken, rather like an ex RAF flyer, from an old movie, and his shop was very popular as a meeting place. He offered bits of education, and some stern discipline to those who liked to crowd his shop. No one was allowed to sit on the counter.

There was usually a crowd of youngsters outside on Friday evenings, maybe en route for the chippies...not far away ..in Crystal Palace road or corner of Landcroft and Whately road.

I can see him very clearly, and hear him talking..together with the arrangements of sweet jars and stationery supplies..

I can see this thread is about bombs not people memories..!!!.so I add..opposite Blackmore's shop (corner of Goodrich and Landcroft and beside the Baptist Church) was a bomb site I suppose the size of several houses, fenced all around. I liked playing in the bomb site of David Grieg's in Lordship Lane..although it was forbidden ( I guess out of respect for those killed and injured there, as much as for any dangers) but that one opposite Blackmore's was inaccessible. I remember the flapping remains of wallpaper and broken, open fireplaces, visible.. one above the other, (the remains of bombed houses), on the walls of the buildings still standing. I remember the two-balls game of ..

A House To Let....No Rent To Pay..Knock At The Door...And Run Away...

With the 'To Let' signs in windows in Landcroft Rd. With the added words "No Blacks".