Best Indian Restaurant in East Dulwich 2006

bry

First thing I noticed when I moved here 6 years ago was the ratio of Indian Restaurants.. Have tried them all nearly (a couple miss out on the grounds that I now feel guilty if I don't go the good ones and give them my business)

Top 2 guaranteed humdingers in my opinion

Tandoori Nights

Coriander

Coriander is the more "traditional" of the two but I've only been let down once in 6 years between them. I'm sure that Tandoori Nights sometimes suffers a perception of over-priced and poncey - but the food is truly fresh and tasty and the staff are second to none anywhere in any restaurant I have been too. If the extra few quid on my bill goes to them then I'm more than happy..

Only slightly below that:

Surma and Dulwich Tandoori

Surma went for the modern look but is very trad - and although I've mostly had good food there it isn't very adventurous. Sunday buffet is splendid tho

Dulwich Tandoori looks as trad as they come but the food is very fresh and tasty - I sometimes wonder why I don't go more

Pistachio Club - went a few times when they opened - was fine but no real reason to go above the others (although I'm due a return visit to see if they have changed)

Mirash - never been. I blame the flashing MTV style neon sign

Which leaves Curry Cabin. Just no. Don't go. Staff seem lovely (if way too old school over-fawning - which to be fair is how the clientele seem to like them) It's the food tho - garish colours and bland taste. This may well be how my first favourite curry 20 years ago tasted in Swindon - just glad things have moved on

Don't think I've missed any restaurants - apologies if I have

Hello,

in terms of take away, I have eaten at pretty much all the indians and highly rate Surma. Tandoori Nights is good too but Surma beats it on value for money. Recommend the Meat Thali, a selection of dishes for around a tenner and fills 2 people.

Is this for eating in or can we vote for takeaways too? I've had food delivered from Spice Club that I've really liked, but I've never been there and I'm not even sure where it is.

Otherwise, probably a toss-up between Tandoori Nights and Surma, but I'd have to do some (ahem) research before choosing between them.

Have never tried Coriander, but I'll definitely give it a go after reading about it here.

• Administrator

OK, so it looks like there's some competition out there for the best Indian Restaurant in East Dulwich so we will be starting a vote on Monday, unsurprisingly called the "The Best Indian Restaurant in East Dulwich 2006". It will last two weeks until midnight Monday 18th December and again, to ensure a fair vote and to stop cheating, this will be open only to registered users of this site. It will be between all Indian restaurants within the East Dulwich/SE22 area, the list we have compiled is:

Mirash Tandoori, 94 Grove Vale

Surma Curry House, 42 Lordship Lane

Curry Cabin, 96 Lordship Lane

Dulwich Tandoori, 54 Lordship Lane

Pistachio Club Restaurant, 44 Lordship Lane

Tandoori Nights, 73 Lordship Lane

The Coriander, 120 Lordship Lane

Omrith, Forest Hill Road

Spice Republic, 499 Lordship Lane

Are we missing any?

Thank you to Spencer for suggesting this poll, voting starts next Monday morning, may the Best Indian Restaurant in East Dulwich win...

The Administrator

The East Dulwich Forum

can you include Ganapati, 38 Holly Grove SE15. I knwo it's not SE22 but it is as near to Lordship Lane as Forest Hill Rd is and it is a different kind of Indian restaurant - real Indian from South India. For people who are keen on Indian food this is a must for this area.

Corianda gets my vote too. We've been having building work done and haven't had a kitchen for a while so have been forced (!) to eat take outs quite a lot. Bit embarrassing really as Corianda know us quite well by now and recognise my voice on the phone. We have to give them an update each week on how our kitchen is coming along! Special mention for their dhal which is the ultimate comfort food.

• Administrator

The voting has now started over here, or you can tell people to go to eastdulwichforum.co.uk/vote

I did try and merge these threads together so that the votes would be at the top and these messages below but that cocked things up and scrubbed the forst few votes that were there on Monday morning. If your vote was scrubbed you can vote again.

Purely in the name of research we had a take-away from the Mirash last night (by Goose Green) and were pleasantly surprised. When I last went a few years ago it it was just OK, but last night's was very good, the chicken was not too dry and the flavours not too over-powering, could be a contender for my vote but I need to check a few others first. They also they gave us a free 2007 calendar, which was nice.

Admin,

Although it's in Peckham you should really include Ganapati in the vote.

It's by far and away the best Indian I've ever eaten at. Very authentic, not your typical "Rogan Josh", "Butter Chicken" and "Chicken Tikka" curry house (in fact I don't think they have ANY of those on the menu). Nothing comes close. I could never eat at any other Indian restaurant now.

PS - If you're going to go - have the Bana leaf Thali. It's a great sample of all the best dishes in the reastaurant, and very filling. Wonderful food.