Can anyone tell me a Southwark councillor I can trust ?

Whilst you may disagree with their political stances - and dislike some of the causes they support - most local councilors will listen to 'personal' cases and will advise fairly whether they will support you or not. If they say they will support you, then they probably will. Of course many do carry heavy case loads, they are unpaid for the case work they do, and they only have a finite capacity.

However, do remember that paid-for advocates (such as solicitors) may be more useful to you, in the end. Also do not forget that you can get free advice from various agencies other than that offered by councilors - for instance regarding debt and issues of law (tenancy agreements etc.) from Citizen's Advice etc.

Hi Jules-and-Boo,

I help lots of people in East Dulwich ward and the wider area.

I can't imagine any councillor betraying your trust. if you'd like my help just drop me an email or let me know when/where you'd like to talk.

However, whoever you choose to ask for help I hope it doesn't take long to sort whatever the issue/s are. Good luck.

Make sure it's a councillor in your ward. James put a post on here about personal alarms that had been bought using council funds and were free to anyone that wanted one. I PM'd him my address and months later AFTER the election, got told that I wasn't in his ward, couldn't have one. So no care unless there is a vote for it. At the time there was someone in the area attacking women.

Just bought a house in James's ward though. Won't be getting my vote now. Karma.

Happily buy my own personal alarm.

If I could respond to "personal alarm". What you are talking about is something called MetTrace which tags all the goods in your home you don't want to lose to a burglar. There was a confusion that has nothing at all to do with James who is an excellent councillor. MetTrace will be rolled out and the clue is in the name "Met". It has to do with the police.

Unless you are in fact talking about an alarm you have on your body for personal protection due to circumstance? In which case my bad and I'm sure social services have just made a scheduling mistake! Call them again!

Hi mynamehere, it's this:

Re: Groped whilst running by East Dulwich Station

Posted by James Barber February 08, 07:58PM

If anyone would like a free personal alarm let me know - we've bought loads from our East Dulwich ward Crime Prevention Fund. Email me direct.

--------------------

Regards [email protected]

07900 227366

Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward

Skype cllrjamesbarber

[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]

[twitter.com]

Not talking about MetTrace. It was in relation to women being groped in ED. it seems the only care is if you fall within a boundary.

As I say, happy to buy my own. Hadn't thought I needed one till the incidents that took place then.

This is the perennial problem of Southwark electoral wards not being wholly contiguous with communities of interest - the ED ward and ED are not the same thing. And at times we are a 'community' with the wider 'Dulwich' - perhaps an area 'of mind' bounded by West Dulwich, North Dulwich, Denmark Hill and Forest Hill Stations.

Townleygreen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the clue, speedbird, is in the fact that

> these were bought with the ED ward Crime

> Prevention Fund, as JB says in that post you

> quoted. So that has only to be used for his ward.

> Simple really!

Yes, we'll spotted Townleygreen. I was under the impression the concern and personal alarms were offered for the benefit of'East Dulwich'. As you say, simple. Maybe James would offer his care and concern now I've bought in ED ward and crossed that little boundary. Silly me, under the impression it was a community thing and the important bit was the safety of those women in the area - nah, just votes.

it was a community thing and the important bit was the safety of those women in the area - nah, just votes.

That is most unfair - if James had diverted monies intended to be spent in his ward to someone in another ward he would have been acting improperly. If you want your ward to spend money on such items, you need to get the representatives in your ward to apply for money for that purpose (rather than any other purpose).