plastic shopping bags

solar

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> People paying ?30-40 or more for shopping are not

> going to worry about 5-10p added to their bill.

But they do, and it radically reduces consumption - unless you think English people are going to react wildly different from Welsh and Scottish people

Bit sad about the bag charge. I used to enjoy hanging out at the check-out in Sainsbury's, in my favourite 'Notting Hill' outfit, sniggering patronisingly at other customers for using those nasty thin plastic bags rather than the ones you can use again. Those days will soon be over :-(

On the upside, I'm looking forward to trying out my new 'condescending sympathy' look on people who bring Asda bags to the supermarket. (I popped into Fortnum's earlier in the week to stock up on bags to be seen out shopping with.)

Meh

peckham_ryu Wrote:

> Bit sad about the bag charge. I used to enjoy

> hanging out at the check-out in Sainsbury's, in my

> favourite 'Notting Hill' outfit, sniggering

> patronisingly at other customers for using those

> nasty thin plastic bags rather than the ones you

> can use again. Those days will soon be over :-(

>

> On the upside, I'm looking forward to trying out

> my new 'condescending sympathy' look on people who

> bring Asda bags to the supermarket. (I popped into

> Fortnum's earlier in the week to stock up on bags

> to be seen out shopping with.)

> It is also nice to see the original SNUB bags, still being used in Dulwich,

> makes me tingle all over.After 7 years, the bags still look great.

Someone else thought so too. Mine was just right for keeping in my rucksack, to take any overflow from my supermarket shopping. But I left it at an Aldi[*] till one afternoon, and it had disappeared by the time I got back. If anyone has a spare one they no longer need, I'd be very glad of it.

[*] Lidl is much pleasanter, imo, btw.

Dear Mr. *******

Thank you for collecting Green Clubcard Points. We wanted to let you know that from 5 October, retailers across England will begin charging 5p for single use carrier bags as part of new government laws to reduce waste and improve our environment.

This means that we will no longer issue Green Clubcard Points when you reuse your plastic bags.

And we are being told the Supermarkets are doing their bit to encourage people to reuse bags..

Shame on you Tesco

DulwichFox.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Why reward you for acting properly when they can

> punish you for not. Carrots cost money, sticks can

> actually earn you some.

Because it is supposed be part of the Tesco Reward Scheme..

Simples..

DulwichFox

I opted to get the 10p strong bag instead of paying 5p for the flimsy one at co-op yesterday. Althought they 'hid' the flimsy bags at the manned tills, they had them up for grabs at the self serve tills. I think you have to declare how many if any 5p bags you use, but how many people are really going to do that & what if they've brought in their own flimsy co-op bag - I can't see the staff stopping anyone & how would they even know if anyone has taken the 5p bags without paying for them? I personally think they should get rid of the flimsy 5p bags at the self serve checkouts all together. If you haven't brought your own bag, they go to manned till to buy a 5p flimsy or 10p bag.

Well my partner used shop yesterday they taken all bags away from self checkouts and manned ones lady stands holding them once see u paid for bags hands them out . sainsburys stopped giving green points for using own bags earlier this year.

Morrissons are donating the 5p charged for bags to charity.

I've been using the large 10p Sainsbury's bag for life for a while now, which have been easy to replace. Popped into DKH today where they had a range of bags from 5p (the flimsy replacement for the free bags) to ?2.50, yet when I asked about the 10p bags, the security guard said "We no longer do them"

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Because it is supposed be part of the Tesco

> Reward Scheme..

I think you've misunderstood something. The Tesco Reward Scheme, as the name implies, is only designed to reward Tesco.

Burbage Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > Because it is supposed be part of the Tesco

> > Reward Scheme..

>

> I think you've misunderstood something. The Tesco

> Reward Scheme, as the name implies, is only

> designed to reward Tesco.

Well.. Yes .. because I was referring to Tesco.. It was them that are stopping the Points..

..and I shop there..

Foxy

Countrlass22 Wrote:

>

> Morrissons are donating the 5p charged for bags to

> charity.

1p will go to the treasury and the other 4p to charities and that's from all shops. However Halfords are charging only 2p for their bags.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Supposedly.. If you buy Fresh Meat / Fish you can

> still get Free plastic carriers..

But only if that is all you buy. If you buy any non-qualifying item then you get charged. Unusually, the Mail is right - the fine print is a bit stupid. There is a quiz on exemptions at the bottom of this page, and the answers are really not obvious. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34346309

And look at it this way Foxy. Before, Tescos gave out bags for free, but gave you 1 point (or 0.5p) to reuse. Now they charge 5p for bags, but you pay nothing if you re-use. So, you are still 4.5p up if you reuse your bags now.