Rugby Vs Football

????

Morris dancing rugby players. If that doesn't put off the opposition, nothing will.

On the subject of the hakka, I was priviledged to watch it for real at Cardiff only 2 weeks ago. It is a tradition which I look forward to seeing - its what sets the All Blacks apart (as well as their amazing rugby sometimes). The 'challenge' laid down - and the response from the other team - is an exciting spectacle. I was also at the Cardiff match when they did the hakka in their dressing rooms and the disappointment in the crowd was palpable. I think jeering the hakka is disrespectful, no matter which fans do it.

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They?re both essentially one dimensional games for

> troglodytes. They can both however be good

> entertainment and quite fun to play.

>

> Soccer is however just a downright @#$%&

> embarrassment. The behaviour of people who watch

> it, the spirit in which it is played and the

> examples it sets are disgusting.

>

> This is not to say that bad and unsporting things

> don?t happen in rugby too but to a far lesser

> degree.

>

> When last did anything even vaguely sporting,

> which would set a good example for a youngster on

> how they should conduct themselves as a decent

> human being, happen in a professional soccer

> match?

>

> What do you think the chances of rival soccer fans

> sharing the stand again are? Ever? That in itself

> is enough to make any person with an even vaguely

> decent moral framework feel sceptical of the whole

> thing.

>

> It is in no uncertain terms a foul, national @#$%&

> embarrassment.

>

> I will still watch international games but I have

> no inclination to have anything to do with the

> slurry pit of professional club football.

What Brendan said about soccer. I think both have similar positives as sports but having attended both as a fan Rugby has to win hands down. I challenge anyone who has been to an international in both to say anything positive about the general attitude of the worst 25% of a football crowd. Unfortunately they seem to ruin it for everyone else. Rugby however I would always be happy to take all the family along to watch. Would never dream about that in football.

Yeah that was a bit of a rant to let off steam when I was in a bad mood but the general sentiment holds firm. It?s a pity many people are put off by soccer not because of the game as such but because of the nasty uncivilised undercurrent in the support and subculture.

That?s not to say you don?t get unpleasant meatheads at rugby matches but they generally get sorted out by slightly more pleasant meatheads or just made to feel stupid.

My experiences have been solely in the UK, Ireland and France and my only negative experience was years ago at Murrayfield when I stood up from my seat as everyone in front of me stood up, to see Ireland scoring a try. I got a slap on the back from a Scot who said to me he dinnie pay ?5 to look at the back of my coat.

Declan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ............and I thought you were going to

> mention Ireland are currently on a run of 9

> consecutive wins in the 5/6 nations. Just for

> balance of course.

9 wins. Is that correct declan? Did they beat france and england away in 2008? And wales? I thought they had a poor 6 nations in 2008. 5 wins in 2009 of course.

i see. Im afraid the scots have been poor for a few years now. More significantly ireland must also be on an approx 9 game unbeaten run against all opposition since their last defeat against all blacks last november. Hopefully avoiding defeat against SA on saturday and they will take that unbeaten run into next years 6 nations.

• 1 month later...

Well, well it's certainly not a clean sport and there is no excuse just because it is very physical either. Some of the foul play is beyond the pale, much more serious than anything in footy, yet instead of life bans for trying to cripple or blind an opponent the players are effectively just given a slap on the wrist with a ban for a few games/weeks/months.

Just because a Rugby player appears to respect a Ref by saying Yes Sir when a decision goes against him does not mean the rest of his game is clean.

Well all I've read on this thread Declan is how Rugby is superior to Football in everything (apart from mention of the game itself of course), the implication being that whatever Rugby does badly then Football does it worse, e.g. foul play, player behaviour, supporters..

A 70 week ban maybe the right message but it's not exactly the norm is it - read this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/france/4945001/Eye-gouging-just-a-way-of-life-in-French-rugby.html