former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

hi james, no luck on getting back to me??

jeremy thanks, i think i'm going to see what other people think at the street party planned in july. it's an eyesore, waste of money and just waiting for some bored teenagers to set fire to it... also people drive too fast down ivanhoe road, what are the council going to do about this? the junction that is made harder by the hoardings around the abandoned just add to the near misses.

if the council is just going to sit on this and do nothing for another 3 years could the they at least get the children from DKH or GG primaries to paint something on the fence?

Mr P I live right opposite Goodrich school and I don't think a zebra is needed. The road already has zigzags (which are mainly, tho' not always respected), safety barriers, flashing lights a bit down the road to denote a school area, and a widening of the pavement at the crossing point. Only an effort to get fewer parents using their cars and parking illegally will go towards the prevention of any accident (of which I have heard of 0 in my ten years here).

I live just down from Goodrich and have two small children at the school and would agree with Nero that a zebra crossing is not necessary. The vast majority of cars allow the children to cross at the point where the pavements are widened and those that don't are unlikely to stop for a zebra crossing, either. What I would like to see is the zigzag parking restrictions continued to the corner of Dunstan's road. It is cars parking (currently legitimately) right on the Goodrich/Dunstans corner that seem to cause a lot of the congestion, and can also make it fairly hair-raising for anyone trying to cross the road at that junction.

And now to my reason for coming to this thread!

James,

The speed humps on Dunstans road are now on their fourth iteration this year. New ones were put down as part of the resurfacing of the entire road. A couple of months later the bumps were dug up and (seemingly) identical ones put down. Last week the workmen were back, digging up and replacing again. It is possible this latest version is ever so slightly lower. Can you give me the reasons behind this? What was wrong with the other two new sets? Were there complaints? And is that it now, or can we expect the workmen back again?

Thanks

Hi Nero,

Apparently the Southwark Council highways weed treatment programme involves three applications of herbicide during the growing season March-November. Where particualr streets have a greater weed problem more applications of herbicide takes place.

This year Goodrich Road received its first application 17 May which is strangely late in the growing season. It has been agreed that the area supervisor will keep extra eye out as the first aplicatino being so late it may have more of a weed problem this year.

Hi Guboge,

Speed humps on Dunstans Road. Southwark Council agreed while I was its Cycling Champion that all speed humps should be sinusoidal. So new ones get isntalled sinuspidal and replacement ones would be sinusoidal. Such humps are safer for and much less uncomfortable for cyclists.

The contractor who has isntalled sinusoidal humps at many other locations appears to be using a team/s that have been incapable of installing the contracted sinusoidal humps. I'm sorry you're being inconvenienced while the contractor repeatedly attempts, at their own expense, to correct the defects they've caused.

Hi James

I know that there is a seperate thread on this,...but it seems to have gone off the radar.

But is there any more news of the refurbishment of Dulwich Baths?

Are we looking at August or September for completion?

Hi Weegee,

Latest news about Dulwich Baths is reopening in August. I don't know which end of August though.

I'd hope early so kids have swimming activities also gives schools more confidence ot plan swimming lessons in the new school term starting in September.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Weegee,

> Latest news about Dulwich Baths is reopening in

> August. I don't know which end of August though.

> I'd hope early so kids have swimming activities

> also gives schools more confidence ot plan

> swimming lessons in the new school term starting

> in September.

Hi James

Thats brilliant news!! Thanks very much for coming back to me on this!

Hi James,

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but couldn't find anything - every time I go through the small park outside Sainsbury's in ED the bins there are always over flowing, and having been down to Brockwell Park today I noticed the same issue there too! Such a shame that people are trying to be tidy and put their litter in the bin but there is no room for it!

I don't know how often the bins get emptied but it doesn't seem to be often enough...?

Hi Spinky100,

Brockwell Park is in Lambeth so a little outside my patch of East Dulwich.

To report any problems with Brockwell Park contact Lambeth Parks on 020 7926 9000 or at [email protected].

St.Francis Park between East Dulwich station and Sainasburys was provided by Sainsburys as part of the legal planning agreement (S106) when Sainsburys were allowed to build on playing fields. Sainsburys have to maintain the park which unfortunately they do on slightly less than a shoe string.

I've reported the problem and officers will engage Sainasbruys. Important, in my view, to go via council officers so that failures are logged and a record of Sainasburys failures kept so they can be held to account.

Starting on Monday 5 July and lasting 4 days (8am-4pm) the section of Melbourne Grove between Lordship Lane and East Dulwich Grove will be resurfaced. Please see attached letter.

Any problems contact the supplier FM Conway Paul Padfield 07919 493 056 or one of your local councillors.

It'll be great when this remaining part of Melbourne Grove is resurfaced.

"What welcome news prdarling.

I'm not aware of any other families with Primary School admissions problems.

If you know of any in Southwark please do get in touch asap so we can get resolved before the summer holidays."

Well this is a turn around for Mr Barber. Concerned about families finding school places, if his performance as Chair of the Dulwich Community Council is anything to go by, I think not!

Mr Barber and fellow Councillor Helen Hayes, College Ward, voted to pass a planning application to build a a 100% social housing development of 12 family homes opposite the school gates of a one form entry primary school. When asked about the impact on local families of the loss of school places (admission policy is simply nearest to school gets in meaning new families from the proposed development would displace existing ones of limited school places) Mr Barber said that there were enough places at Langbourne Primary to absorb the children of the displaced families.

Langbourne Primary is a mile down the road and set in the middle of the Kingswood Estate, it also languishes at the bottom of the Southwark league table. I wonder how many people would be happy with the change of choice Mr Barber advocates namely loosing a place for your child/ren at your local well run, one form entry school to relocate them to a mile away at a troubled 3 form entry primary. Ms Hayes was more concerned about fenestration (windows, yes I kid you not!) than key social infrastructure providers. Absolutely priceless.(6)

Oh dear, is that James "parking" Barber - Shame on Southwark. Perhaps Mr. Barber could help set up one of those new coalition "free schools" for the displaced families and even better ask the Housing Association to squeeze it on to the same site as the the social housing development. It's a large plot that railway embankment and plenty of parking too - well according to the developer that is.

Hi blackmamba and The Commander,

I'm sorry the Dulwich Community Council Planning Committee decision about the scheme for 12 family social housing homes at the northern end of Woodland Road near Gipsy Hill railway station has annoyed you. Southwark has 15,000 people on its social housing waiting list with overcrowding for many existing families renting a Southwark Council home.

I'm sorry if this new development means that you don't get your kids into your preferred school - which seems to be your concern.

On the night we had many objectors, around 30, a reduced committee down to 3 councillors making us just quorate. Usually 3mins are allowed for objectors and the applicant but I allowed much longer and good number of questions from the committee. We took legal advice on several points to see if we were allowed to take into account some of the main reasons for objecting. We were legally advised that even though the near opposite school is already over subscribed that as Southwark Education officers had explained clearly no shortage of school places within 1 mile let alone the 2miles for primary school places legally required. A local Lambeth Executive Headteacher seemed to be giving the view that Langbourne School was not a realistic alternative school anyone should send their kids to. I felt really uncomfortable with a head teacher literally 'slagging of' another school and in public. This view apparently couldn't be a legal consideration. I've since checked and Ofsted's last inspection in December stated "your plan to move the school from ?satisfactory? to ?good? is clear and realistic". So its not yet good or outstanding but Ofsted believe realistic plans to reach this. Langbourne School is 800m away from the site or about 1.1km walking distance. AS you point out it does sit in the middle of a social housing estate and that clearly causes you concern.

We heard about potential parking pressures and Southwark officers explained not a problem. My own site visit minimal cars parked. Probably as its a part of a street with hoardings and not actively overlooked.

It pained me to have to compare this social housing scheme to policies that still have level 3 acceptable for eco credentials including resource and energy use. Cycling parking looked good.

We approved the scheme but our policies don?t feel that are progressing quickly enough to fight climate change.

So, not an easy decision but based on the evidence presented and what we were legally allowed to consider it became clearer what the correct decision should be.

If you'd like ot discuss this please feel to call me.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi blackmamba and The Commander,

> I'm sorry the Dulwich Community Council Planning

> Committee decision about the scheme for 12 family

> social housing homes at the northern end of

> Woodland Road near Gipsy Hill railway station has

> annoyed you. Southwark has 15,000 people on its

> social housing waiting list with overcrowding for

> many existing families renting a Southwark Council

> home.

>

> I'm sorry if this new development means that you

> don't get your kids into your preferred school -

> which seems to be your concern.

>

> On the night we had many objectors, around 30, a

> reduced committee down to 3 councillors making us

> just quorate.

It was remarkable to see councillors recusing themselves with such alacrity before our eyes. Some of the reasoning seemed barely credible. And then the no-shows. So soon after the election. Alarming and depressing.

So we see that large schemes can be approved by just two councillors, with in this case one of them interested in little other than fenestration, and with considerable doubt in the air about the size of the plot.

Very few coucillors and politicians have to send their children to under performing schools so it's rather cynical to expect their constituents to do so. How many years of poor schooling do children have to put up with before the Ofstead target is reached after all?

We do need more affordable homes in the borough for sure. Surely there must be some other solution to build those new homes whilst protecting the places of the children already attending that school. After all, 12 news homes probably equates to an extra class of children at most. Any options for expanding the school that could be considered James?