former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Attached is bus route 12 consultation letter.

> What do you think? Equally bendy buses have a reputation

> as ?free buses? so capacity can be marginally

> reduced as you can?t get on a normal double decker

> without paying.

>

Seems fine overall although uncomfortable is this is being used as an argument - "have a reputation" seems a bit lacking in evidence. I'll touch my Oyster in when I get on a double decker but not on a bendy, probably creating impression of not paying but I have my monthly pass regardless. What is the evidence that capacity can be introduced on this basis?

iirc double deckers have significantly less capacity than a bendy bus, combined with lower frequency (I haven't done the maths) how many less spaces per hour does this double impact on capacity equate to?

ta

Hi James,

Does the confusion over parking on Gallery Road in Dulwich come under your remit, if not, do you know who is responsible?

The lack of signage about whether/where you can park on the footway of Gallery Road is clearly a way for the council to gain revenue and they are exploiting that confusion. We parked on a Sunday in june, when the Carter Steam Fair was on, every car was parked half on the footway, they must have made thousands in revenue, and I want the signage made clearer, I would also appeal to anyone else who was fined recently to try and bring a group appeal against the council

thanks

Bethan Ryder

This from the thread on the new Goose Green playground. Could you look into to it to see whether the poster is correct?

So frustrating I am in the playground most afternoons and can not believe the workmens attitude to the job rom 330 onwards no work happens they either sit just inside the cabin or go to the loo with newspapers to read no actual work happens i had hoped with the signs up for the launch of the playground they might pull their fingers out ( or put down their newspapers) but no and so the oficial launch happened beore the playground was ready and when i drove past friday evenin there was tons of litter- shoddy to say the least. I hope there was a clause in the contract so builders didnt get paid unless they completed on time- unlikely i know

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Attached is bus route 12 consultation letter.

> What do you think?

>

> From November 2011 the bendy buses on bus route 12

> will be changed to normal double deckers. This

> will make the lives of those on Etherow Street far

> more bearable and something we've campaigned on.

>

Fantastic. I won't travel on bendy buses, so this will open up a whole new route to me.

> To compensate for smaller passenger loads per bus

> more buses will run. So overall slightly better

> frequency. Equally bendy buses have a reputation

> as ?free buses? so capacity can be marginally

> reduced as you can?t get on a normal double decker

> without paying.

>

> Only caveat I have is that countdown real time bus

> information wont be isntalled at all bus stops.

> Waiting around for 30 minutes at nighttime is bad

> enough but not having information if a bus is

> cancelled could see a wait of upto 90minutes.

> Having information means passengers can change

> their plans.

Hi James

Am I right in thinking that there are landscaping works being planned currently for the Dog Kennel Hill / East Dulwich Estate?

If so - do you know when these will be undertaken and what the likely cost would be for leaseholders?

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dukesdenver,

I'm not aware of any such plans for Southwark. Southwark has 14 libraries.

About two years ago Dulwich Library hours were changed from being open 6 days a week to 7 days a week. Extending Library opening hours was one of our local 2006 Lib Dem pledges. The clever part was this was achieved with no increase in budget but agreeing with staff and unions changes in rostering. I've also been asking about self service terminals where library users swipe books in and out. I've visited libraries in Essex and Dorset to see this in action and we've had this in Southwark at John Harvard Library on Borough High Street since it complete refurbishment and expansion. Again this reduces the number of staff needed while freeing up library staff time to help library users rather than checking books in and out. Talknig to library staff they had feared it would reduce contact time but instead has increased it as they get a chance to talk to people rather than stuck with scanning books.

So changing rosters and self service should enable the same library service but reduce the costs of running it. This does assume that capital to roll out self service technology will be made available, that staff and unions will agree changes and most importantly that council library management work to make such changes.

Hope this makes sense.

Any Librarians out tyheir please PM me to tell me what it feels like in Southwark Libraries.

Hi Scootagal,

I'd presume so but don't know.

Best way to find out is to contact your Tenants and Residents Association (TRA) and ask them.

If you email me I'll send you the direct contact details for them. I don't feel comfortable posting them as EDF isn't limited to just residents of that estate in South Camberwell ward.

Hi ruffers,

The letter I asked about no.12 bus route changing from bendy bus to regular double decker shows that each bus takes fewer people but more double deckers will be run. Regular double deckers rated to typically take 74 sitting and standing passengers. Bendy buses clearly rated to take more but much higher percentage standing. So overall it should be better and for those living at southern end of Friern Road and along Etherow Street especially they will find the removal of bendy buses as great benefit.

How soon will the 12 swap to a double decker?? As a soon to be Mum with the 12 as my nearest bus route, I'll be sad to see the bendies go as they appear so much friendlier for negotiating with a buggy/pram.

Especially with the problems Mum's are facing on the 63 route is there any reassurance that can be offered as to what the replacement doubles will be like?

Hi Nero,

I believe the buses are owned by the bus operating company. The new operating contract up for renewal or replacement in November 2011 will state regualr double deckers and other changes in frequencies.

I'd guess the bus operating company will sell them?

For such a general query you might like to email [email protected] or contact the bus operator via the following http://www.londoncentral.com/about-us/contact-information.html

IF you're interested in potted history of this bus route follow this link .

Over the last 4 years as a councillor I've often had people complain chewing gum.

Came across small article about a pioneering Flintshire based company Revolymer has made ?10m investment to come up gum hat doesn't permanently stick to pavements but rather breaks down within a relatively short time or can be blasted by water - quicker and easier to remove and degrade than any current chewing gum. We just need chewing gum manufacturers to adopt this technology.

Fingers crossed for the future.

I've been asked ot sign a petition about the Charter School taking more time to consult about becoming a new style Academy.

From the Dept of Education website they're listed with several other Southwark schools as being an outstnading school expressing an interest.

IF a school decides to become an Academy they can do so at any point in the school year. I suspect this is allowed because quite a few schools have expressed an interest but most have not taken up this interest yet and the tory minister needs progress before September 2011.

Hi James

any news on the goose green playground. It has become one of those niggling irritations that just seem to grow. I beleive it is two and a half weeks from when it was officially opened and still there seems to be no indication when the large climbing area will open. When i was last in there there was a steel fence supposedly sealing it off although because it has to go over the hills it is not flush to the ground and many children were using it even though there was some signs up indicating it was closed re health and saftey. Got to say the signs were rather unclear ie saying use it at own risk rather than the more helpful Danger keep out. My daughter who is 10 read it as if it was ok to use though I do appreciate the fence for adults should be the key to deciding not to let children they are accompaniying use it.

Whilst I would not encourage any child to use it it is such a spectatcular piece of equipment that has been there for so many weeks without any progress that I can see how tempting if I was there without an adult I would be drawen to slippping under the fence. Is there any end in sight ?

Obviously if there is a clear danger it must not be used but i cant believe how long the work has taken. I had posted on one of the other threads about how annoying it was that the workmen spent so little time actually working and my frustration about this grows every time I pass what should be a spectacular resource especially as this is now the holiday period. who commisioned the work? was there a time clause/ penalty built in?

I was in that playground nearly 3 times a week since early May and every afternoon 3 .15 onwards when I was in the playground there were workmen on the site but they were not working. The progress was painfully slow and it seems such a waste of the hard work for all concerned in planning and identifying funds if the entire summer goes past without this work being completed. Thanks

Hi Ms Ryder,

I've had confirmation that proper kerbs and indented parking bays will be introduced this year which should make it crystal clear where you can park when the road is resurfaced in October.

Talknig with my Village ward colleague Cllr Robin Crookshank-Hilton is took about a year for Dulwich Society, Picture Gallery and other maneity groups to all agree the final solution.