former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

The banding is not based on sale prices but on an estimate of potential sales prices by estate Agents who were hired to do it. I have practical experience of this, When I was in Worlingham Road my house was banded a band too high as the valuers drove around and only looked at the end houses of the streets which just happened to be 2 bedrooms bigger. Go my house down one band by appealing.

Northlonder -

Boy it's more complicated than you might think:

Firstly only about 75% of your council tax bill goes to Southwark - the other 25% goes to the GLA.

Secondly the 75% only contributes to 30% of the overall council budget of ?308m, the remainder being centrally funded.

The Council's budget for Refuse collection and disposal (which may or may not include street cleaning) is ?28m which is about 9% of the overall budget.

Therefore the proportion of your council tax bill that goes on Refuse collection and disposal is 6.75% or about ?82 a year for a Band D payer.

Hi shell,

Apologies for delayed response - just back from one week holiday.

Which street lamp - could you please tell me either the four and two digit code on the lamp post (four digit code for the street and subsequent two digits for the lamp post iteration on that street) or the closest landmark on East Dulwich Road please?

I can then ask council official.

Hi Fred,

I would guess many many years ago.

Do you want the actual year?

The road maintenance process works by a regular structural assessment - can't remember if annual or biannual - of all Southwark roads. Theythen factor whether a road has high levels of traffic, types of traffic, footfall, whether superficial Tarmac issues or whether the road foundations have failed ( lumpy roads in potholes).

So a road can look Worse with potholes in the Tarmac layer but have sound foundations vs another whose foundations are starting to fail with fewer potholes. The latter more quickly degrades but fixing it costs a fortune. But leaving the former results in the latter!

Grove Vale. Imnpt aware of more crashes and collisions since the change in road layout and unclear of any change in severity. But the scheme was poorly consulted and planned upon with technical corrections coming from me which makes you wonder what goes on elsewhere in the borough.

Dear James,

could you please advise on how to proceed with this... Last night we had an attempted break-in. Luckily I shouted and that scared the guy off. The police came round but the darkness and wet weather meant they couldn't trace any footprints. Anyhow, they checked the garden over and said the thief had mostly likely climbed over the back fence. I'd like to know how I can contact the owner of the property at the back if they never seem to be in. Or how I can find out if the house is now empty. Is there a way of getting the council to look into this? The garden is running wild and the signal is clearly there for burglars: here's an easy way in.

many thanks for your time,

Rachel

Hi quichel,

I dont think we can explore this on an open blog without potentially placing you and your neighbours at greater risk.

Please email me directly at [email protected] telling me you address and the address of the what sounds near abandoned house. The council has an empty homes unit which I'd try and engage to contact the home owner assuming it empty. If its not empty then find out why they're not maintaining it properly and try and arrange some help for them.

Hi matana,

Tried following the lin kyou've provided but didnt work.

British Gas have a scheme offering free loft and cavity wall insulation whether you're a British Gas customer or not and you don't have to be on any benefits.

So if you own your property OR the property owner wants free insulation nothing is stopping you getting it for free except inertia. This offer is worth up to ?1,000 per home.

If you're over 70 or on a wide range of benefits they'll even pay to move things out of your attic. If scaffolding is required they pay up to ?475.

IF you refer a friend to this scheme British Gas will even give you ?50!

The closing date is 30 November. Call 0845 971 7731 to book the free survey or go online http://www.britishgas.co.uk/freeinsulation

NB. I'd like to thank Donnachadh McCarthy for making me aware of this through his Southwark News column.

Hi shell,

I told you he was quick!

They believe the column you've mentioned is curved lamp column with a rose bud lantern. These are non standard and currently non are in stock. So a replacement is on order and its manufacture and delivery should occur within two weeks and then it should be quickly isntalled after that. So overall expect it to be fully replaced and fixed by Weds 21 November. I've also suggested they might consider ordering a reserve so they do have one in stock for future problems.

Hi the-e-dealer,

I'm sorry we don't share the same political beliefs. I'm not sure you're doing a public service, which this thread attemepts to do, by vandalising this thread with obtuse comments.

By all means creat your own thread to collect everything you believe I've screwed up or failed to serve.