former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And so yet another event stolen from us with the

> help of Ali Barber!

> Pretty soon all entertainment will be canceled in

> East Dulwich!

I find this rude and, more dangerous, so ignorant of who is taking what important decisions in Southwark that will affect you and even London for your lifetime and beyond. If you want to chew on a council decision (better the person who made it) and an issue then do a search as to who controls what in Southwark. I'm sure you'll boil at the opportunities for anger over real hard money and building and decisions. Whether a cinema is too loud too late and too close to residences. really. And I love "Drive-Ins" with food and drink and lounging about under the night sky. Let's find a good place and go for it.

Decisions are not taken by a Person. They are decided by committees, Full Council and some delegated powers. There was a Consultation and Ali himself admits he helped get it cancelled by raising some problems. I have also posted on the appropriate committee members Local Forums. Lets hope Mr Barber manages to help get an event off the ground rather than cancelled next next time.

I didnt object I raised two issues that needed to be considered.

With all due respect the-e-dealer this thread is meant for more than just you and me to bicker.

You clearly object ot everything and anything I do. I'm one of the elected representative for East Dulwich ward - please let me serve all the residents of the ward and not just you via this forum.

Hi James,

I live next to a council owned property, 31 Shawbury Road, which has been abandoned for at least the last five years (since we moved in next door). Last month, the council kicked out squatters and covered all the entrances with metal sheeting. This has unfortunately attracted lots of flytippers, and has made it really unpleasant to live next door to the house. Incidentally, we are also trying to sell our house as we need to move out of London, but no one will touch ours with a ten foot pole while there is a dump in the front garden next door.

The street cleaning team have stated that they can't clear the rubbish as the front garden is private property and have said that they will contact the south housing team for assistance. It would be really great if I could understand who is actually responsible for cleaning up the rubbish in the garden, and if the council could regularly check the garden for more rubbish - since the council put up the sheeting that makes it clear that the house is abandoned, thus encouraging the unscrupulous to dump their rubbish there.

Additionally, it would be great to understand what the council plans to do with the house. Both our house and the neighbour on the other side have been impacted by the decay of the property and it would be comforting to know when we can expect the house to be repaired and occupied.

Thanks and regards

Victoria

I've just helped get some Council Tax casework resolved. They were beign taken to court needlessly. A number of emails were ignored from the resident to the council trying to sort it out.

Council officials have stated they have a massive backlog of Council Tax related emails.

If anyone has a Council Tax problem and been unable to make useful contact with council officials please do get in touch.

James

I have just gone on-line to order more of the kitchen waste recyling bags (little green jobbies) - the site says you can order them but the link only takes you through to a replacement bin ordering page. When I spoke to a helpful lady in Southwark recyling she told me that it isn't possible to order these on line, despite the misleading link on Southwark's site. She also told me (which might be helpful to other readers) that there was to be a general delivery of replacement bags sometime in September.

It would be good if the Southwark site could (1) not offer a link to replacement bags when it doesn't allow on-line re-ordering and (2) perhaps could let people know on-line of the intended mass delivery of bags - that way we could avoid wasting operative time.

Web sites are only useful if they are accurate and kept up-to-date.

The page offering the non-existant bag re-ordering service is here http://www.southwark.gov.uk/a_to_z/service/362/recycling_bags_and_boxes

Hi P68,

That's really useful and thanks for pointing it out.

I'll try and get this fixed. Quite complicated to fix as they've repeated the mistake through the process. Hopefully it wont take long.

Hi RotR,

Many thanks for this - that's what we did in my house and it also worked a treat.

Hi James

I should have added to my recycle bag post that the Southwark lady did offer to process my request for more bags, but when I knew there was to be a general September delivery I found that acceptable. In the past I too have had next day delivery when I have requested more.

James Barber Wrote:

> I've just helped get some Council Tax casework

> resolved. They were beign taken to court

> needlessly. A number of emails were ignored from

> the resident to the council trying to sort it

> out.

>

> Council officials have stated they have a massive

> backlog of Council Tax related emails.

>

> If anyone has a Council Tax problem and been

> unable to make useful contact with council

> officials please do get in touch.

Thank you very much James.

Px

Needle Exchange and Pharmacy - there will be a public meeting at the ED Community Centre re this organised by Jonathan Mitchell - I cannot remember the time so will put up another post tomorrow.

Gumboots Nursery have been informed and they will be notifying their parents etc.

James Barber Wrote:

> If anyone has a Council Tax problem and been

> unable to make useful contact with council

> officials please do get in touch.

Hi James,

I have a problem with the letter I've just received fom Southwark about the Council Tax single person discount review which requires me to sign and return a declaration that I am still entitled to the discount, does not enclose an envelope to return it in and threatens that my discount may be cancelled if I do not return the form within 14 days.

Is this genuine or a wind-up of some kind???

I have a problem with the letter I've just received fom Southwark about the Council Tax single person discount review which requires me to sign and return a declaration that I am still entitled to the discount, does not enclose an envelope to return it in and threatens that my discount may be cancelled if I do not return the form within 14 days.

Is this genuine or a wind-up of some kind???

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have received the same letter, and I think that if Capita, which is the company, that is asking for the information, for the Council, seeing as they want to check the information every year, that they already have, they should be supplying the stamped addressed envelopes?. Capita is earning millions of pounds from our taxes, housing benefits? and Council taxes, it seem like they are doing what the Government is doing, cutting back on everything, to save the government money whilst having the lion?s share of the cut backs. How the rich get richer down to the poor.

It's surely simple economics - Capita would have charged out to the council the cost of the return envelope - so (all) council tax payers would have picked up the bill. The council tax concession on single occupancy has to be worth a great deal more than the cost of a stamp and envelope to continue claiming it. The council needs documentary evidence (a signature) if the claim turns out to be innacurate (more than one person living at the property) which does happen.

penguin68

Thats right Capita have chatged the Council for the stamps and envelopes and we have all paid for them, so why should pensioners

pay for them, and poor people, its mainly pensioners that live on there own.

Capita have the contracts for Housing and Council tax, which in turn costs us twice as much as if the Councils was running them.