former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

As long as they offer it to all businesses and aren't showing favouritism I think its great. There have been studies suggesting that the physical appearance of an area has a quantifiable impact on how people behave and is an integral part of regeneration / crime prevention.

It's a Southwark project that has been running for a while. Details on the website here - http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/347/economic_development/2214/improving_local_retail_environments_ilre/1 and latest report that I've seen here - http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=28128

There was a presentation for the plans on Underhill Road a while back where people could comment (which is how I know about it, and I did comment at the time). Personally, I think it's a good idea to try and promote smaller local shopping areas.

[Edited for sense]

This was a ?4.5M programme initially planned to improve Independant Local Retail Envirnonments over three years by former East dulwich councillor Richard Thomas when he was the executive councillor in charge of regeneration. Sadly its taken more years than originally planned for East Dulwich changes to take place. And that's with a tremendous amount of nagging of council officials by me.

James

I have lived on Belvoir Road for 12 years. It seems to have become a rat run for cars cutting through from Underhill Road to London Road via Overhill. This seems to have been exaggerated by making Melford Road one way. People really speed down the road and as more families move into the road I think something should be done. I feel that making the road one way from Overhill towards Underhill would solve the problem. Can you give me guidance on how I can promote this. Thanks

Hi Tamer,

Belvoir Road is in College Ward I believe but perhaps the following would help you progress things:

Making streets one-ways usually result in vehicles going much faster along them - they don't have to concern themselves with vehicles coming the other way. So it might reduce the volume of cars but it will displace the journeys onto longer routes via other roads - net effect more miles driven in your area and at great speeds.

So assuming that isnt what you and your neighbours would want then the other options are more effective speed calming measures. From memory you have speed cushions that many types of vehicles can ignore. So full width sinusoidal speed humps would have more effect as would chicanes.

You could apply for measures via the Cleaner, Greener, Safer scheme where your local ocuncillors have these days around ?80,000 pa for capital measures - sinusoial full road width humps typically costs ?1,800 each and are needed ever 50-70m.

To prove a need a traffic count would normally be required. From Southwark's online mapping system I cant see any recorded traffic counts. So any CGS applicaiton would need to include this OR do you own traffic count.

Hope this helps.

Southern Gas have to undertake excavations junction of Lordship Lane with Goose Green roundabout - they have a 30" gas mains leaking there.

To undertake the works they need to erect 3-way traffic lights on Goose Green roundabout. It will cause chaos. I'd recommend avoiding that area for a while. I've not been told when they'd expect the works to finish.

James Barber Wrote:

> To undertake the works they need to erect 3-way

> traffic lights on Goose Green roundabout. It will

> cause chaos. I'd recommend avoiding that area for

> a while. I've not been told when they'd expect the

> works to finish.

I drove though Goose Green late last night when they were setting the roadworks up and there was one immediate problem. As the parking spaces on the left hand side of the road (by the EDT) remained in operation, it was stopping traffic coming from the other direction pulling out onto the wrong side of the road to get through the lights and onto the roundabout if there was any backlog of traffic waiting to turn right into East Dulwich Grove (am not describing this very well but hopefully you get the idea). It was instantly log-jammed - lots of horn honking and shouting (mostly by the Southern Gas guys). Not sure if this was a set-up problem which has now been sorted but has any consideration been given to suspending those spaces whilst the works continue?

James hi,

The problem of fly tipping on the corner of Hindman's and Uplands Road is persisting - I am heartily tired of getting the council to do something about it. I'm going to send you pictures of the latest pile or rubbish that's been accumulating since last week. Interestingly the guys in the big rubbish pick up trucks park nearby, walk past it, to get to the cafe around the corner where they enjoy a hearty breakfast.

Last time I complained about this ( Wednesday) I was informed by the call centre worker that I couldn't be told the name of the council's head of refuse because she couldn't "give out colleagues' details".

It's no wonder there is an increasing rodent problem in the area.

Please help put an end to this once and for all.

Hi Gina,

No stirkes that i'm aware of. The cleaning regime the council administration decided upon was litter picking every other day and sweeping one a month.

I've reported instances where residents have taken pictures of litter not moving for a numbers of days several weeks to prove no litter picking was taking place.

In the first instance email [email protected] or escalate the issue by emailing me.

Hi bloonoo,

I've reported the lose paving slab for you.

If you spot another similar issue either call 020 7525 2000 or also email [email protected].

If nothing happens please do email me so I can escalate and find why the process failed.

SilverSurfer65 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi James,

>

> Are the street cleaners on strike? I live in

> Silvester Road, the Barry Road end,

> and it doesn't appear to have been swept lately.

>

> Should I ring somebody at the Council?

>

> Thanks.

>

> Gina

Good luck phoning the council. Nothing will happen. The streets are so filthy now, it's actually embarrassing to have visitors from out of the area.

Anyone up for a council tax strike. We're paying, but they;re not delivering.

Hi northlondonder,

The cleanliness of our streets is largely a political decision made by the largest group of councillors with some operational nous. The current administration has decided to focus our council tax (20% of council budgets), fees and charges (5%) and grant from central governemnt (75% of council main budget funds) on things other than street cleaning. But you help decide on councillors next in 2014. o get involved, campaign but boycotting council tax just makes the pot smaller to fund things from and leads to you breaking the law.

Hi mynamehere,

No, not all streets are cleaned to exactly the same standard.

Quiet residential streets wouldnt need as much attention as busy shopping streets. Markets seem to generate the most waste but really its because normal shops and restaurants have to have trade waste contracts but market stalls don't.

also I suspect some deviation depending on which person is cleaning and how thorough or energetic they are.

Southwark also have some red routes where Transport for London are responsible with theri own regime.

Saying all that all residentials streets should be litter picked every other day and swept every four weeks....unles syou know different in which case escalate to a local councillor. Proving it is tricky but dated photos are brilliant for this I've found.

Regards james.

Hi northlondoner,

That's a tricky one because different households pay different amounts depending the banding of the property which is related to the properties sale value a couple of decades ago. Also some households get coujcil tax discount, some pay no council tax, etc.

regards james.