former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

James are you blind? All of them!

The double and single yellow lines are creeping further and further around each and every corner, many main roads are going the way of grove vale with ridiculous speed ramps and jutting out curbs and more and more double yellow lines.

On Lordship Lane there are parking bays which are setup for 2.5 cars where there is room for 3.

Prior to the crossing at the Coop the parking was limited at many points on LL after the crossing a number of extra bays were miraculously found where double yellow lines had been before?

LL and ED grove are a complete mess more and more useless expensive signage and narrowing chicanes making our area feel more and more enclosed and that?s not just for vehicles.

The Goose Green Roundabout has become slower and slower to and the frustration is ending up in the side streets like Melbourne Grove creating rat runs due to the poor management of traffic on the main roads.

Maybe you need to go to spec savers ?.

Hi fazer71,

You say lines are creeping further round corners and also say lines have been removednear corners.

Grove Vale used to have no parking either side with a massive pedestrian island in the middle and lots of white hatchings down the middle. These were removed and parking allowed all the time on much of Grove Vale.

Lordship Lane and East Dulwich Grove have no chicanes. EDG many years ago had some small kerb buildouts and the odd small island and the pavements cut back - to allow more parking.

Goose Green roundabout is slower due ot traffic volumes. One way of speeding it up would be to remove parking on the NE side of Lordship Lane. But I and you would be against removing parking.

But I do need some new glasses frames.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe its the Age of the Pedestrian.

Yea exactly....

Tax payers paying VED and Fuel TAX and Council TAX Get Sweet F A just a load more grief speed humps and pot holed roads destroying our cars.

James Barber Wrote:

> But I do need some new glasses frames.

Touch?

Maybe I?m stuck in the 80?s a time before the road madness of bus lanes and restricted parking and alpine terrain and the London local obstacle course.

I see plenty of room to create more parking around ED.

Are you saying betty31 is wrong about Grove Vale?

Goose Green roundabout has been slow since the ?upgraded? curbs and crossings nothing to do with increased volume of traffic.

But then we do have a bit of a major problem... 1/2 the main roads have gone ?bus lanes have 1/2 eaten up? that together with the traffic light phasing to allow dozens of busses through and then one or two cars if they?re lucky it?s no surprise the roads feel clogged up and frustratingly slow.

Thing is the effect of the continued messing around just makes the problems worst.

Peckham one way system changes have made little difference to traffic flow and have cost a fortune WHY this constant dabbling with the roads?

It would make more sense if that money was spent to create more parking.

James isn?t the honest truth Southwark?s policy is to reduce parking availability where ever possible to increase parking fine revenue and push us towards fewer cars?

I remember when a few years back we had the bus strikes how empty the roads were it was heaven!

Now it?s not enough for the busses to have bus lanes, phased lights they are also incredibly aggressive most of them drive like total nutters. Insane?.

Far more people in london travel in other vehicles than by bus the numbers don't stack up they never have!

Every attempt to get car drivers into busses have failed now we are seeing a restriction in parking spaces and a system of traffic lights bus lanes and other systems to slow all traffic bar bus traffic to a crawl in an attempt to convince car drivers to jump on a bus it's an experiment which has been going on for 20years and it has failed!

The spill over from all this is cars speeding down back roads and desolation of most high streets in favour of supermarkets and out of town shopping centres.

It only benefits a few whilst the ved tax council tax and fuel tax paying members of society are shat of from every direction.

The world turned upside down!

I'm not against buses just against the insane systems which tfl have been allowed to introduce which are causing major problems to the london road network at the expense of every road user what benefit is there for a bus to get to its destination 2 minutes faster whilst causing all other road users a delay of 10 minutes that is just potty!

Some Statistics the latest 2011 Inner london travel to work method 16% Car 17% Bus 11% Walk. oh and 10% Bike. poor old Car! Lets not forget the Motor bike 2% 1% Taxi.

So if you add the BUS LANE USERS BUS+CYCLE+TAXI+MOTORBIKE = 30%

Some arithmetic.

Most cars have one person in so if we accept the figures above bus lanes would save them 10 minutes.

Now I get the bus every day and they ure usually nearly full so lets say 60 pasengers. Each saving 2 minutes so collectively they save 2 * 60 minutes or 2 hours journey time. So thats 2 hours less time spent travelling against 10 minutes. As for saying more journeys are done by other means yes trains, and tube but on the Road its BUSES. I have no objection to you sitting in your little tin can. Indeed I do it myself sometimes

From the Office National Statistics.

Wrong ... where on earth did you get those figures the green party dream sheet?

There are more people traveling in London within the M25 and Central London by car and van that bus, every day of every week of every year.

The balance of power has gone too far towards busses.

Even if your figures were correct how does that justify 24hr bus lanes which see a bus every 30 mins during non rush hour periods.

It makes no sense.

At least LL has a sensible format for bus lanes but that still doesn't justify the nonsense that is the phasing of the lights at peckham rye.. and the car ban on rye lane, come to which the new signage at the entrance to rye lane appears to working well at generating fines as the no entry signs have been removed and replaced with a new blue disc sign which I have seen catching out visitors to the area... an absolute disgrace the old no entry sign worked and there was no need to replace it with a vague sign clearly aimed at catching drivers out. my guess is the sign cost ?300 to replace and has probably generated ?3,000 in fines so that's a good thing for Southwark but a bad thing for visitors LOVELY SOUTHWARK "sh?"T disgusting hole council of the SE." only LAMBETH are worst bunch of CUNTS"

How about this you can drive a car in a bus lane but it must be have its full compliment of adult passengers otherwise it's a fine or non bus lane.

I'd get rid of traffic lights, make all junctions roundabouts.

Is anyone else getting sick of seeing these little smart cars on LL with their periscope cameras catching parking offenders rather than seeing the traffic warden ?who?s sitting in the smart car out on his feet walking up to the offending cars and making them move on? ?????

If the fact the cars are parked is such a problem that it warrants a fine the shouldn?t they be moved on a quickly as possible and also get a fine????

It looks a lot like entrapment to me when there allow one car there will soon be another thinking it ok to park and hip hip hurrah Southwark get?s another ?50+ quid?.

Southwark council it's roads and parking team are a disgrace?

Wow!

hi the-e-dealer,

Could you put a link to the ONS stats you quoted so fazer71 can look at them.

Hi Fazer71,

Despite Goose Green rounabout being such a success I wouldnt want to replace all traffic lights with roundabouts. Equally GG roundabout is better since it allowed pedestrians to cross all three of its arms.

Hi Fred,

I do think parking enforcement is sometimes overly zealous. I also think those that live in CPZ areas are asked to pay too much.

James Barber says "Equally GG roundabout is better since it allowed pedestrians to cross all three of its arms.".

Define "better" - for whom or what? I'd like to understand your evidence for this statement.

In my experience all it takes is one person to choose to cross at the GG roundabout on any one of the three zebra crossings to cause tailbacks and delays in all directions to the detriment of drivers & pedestrians alike and creating unnecessary stress. Given that there are two (one recently installed on LL) perfectly good pedestrian lights within 75 yards of the GG roundabout and a third on East Dulwich Road about 100 yards away I cannot see the need to maintain these zebra crossings as they negate the purpose of a roundabout which is to facilitate traffic flow not to impede it.

Hi MM,

Goose Green rounabout is better in terms of residnets being able to freely move about - whether on foot, bicycle or motor vehicle.

When a pedestrian couldn't cross directly in the past they had to cross two arms of the roundabout rather than one to make the same journey.

There is more congestion in Lordship Lane,

Than there every has been. Try getting out of Ahbourne Grove in the

Morning.I have lived here for over fourty years

And it has never been as bad. I am sure who ever decide these

Changes in the Council has not got a clue.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi MM,

> Goose Green rounabout is better in terms of

> residnets being able to freely move about -

> whether on foot, bicycle or motor vehicle.

> When a pedestrian couldn't cross directly in the

> past they had to cross two arms of the roundabout

> rather than one to make the same journey.

This is not evidence - it's your views. I asked for evidence. Presumably a case was made to carry out the work with some cost / benefit analysis and some measures of success or otherwise? Before and after studies of traffic flow, pedestrian access, tailbacks etc? Or doesn't council planning work that way.

There is more of a hold up from the roundabout through to ED station. With the parking bays outside the school

traffic is being held up more whilst people reverse etc into these spaces. Also the extended pavement in some places

mean that 2 large vehicles can not pass each other. If there is a bus at the Elsie Road stop 9/10 times a car cannot overtake so a build up. Equally some extra build up by Melbourne Grove