former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

I don't see that at all e-dealer. He is trying to prevent you from cluttering up this thread, which myself and many others find very useful, with your constant sniping. As he said, you are free to start another thread critiscising him to the hilt, leaving this space free for people who actually want to engage with their councillor instead of taking pot-shots. As I don't want to follow your bad example and clutter this space up even more I won't post again on this topic here.

I have a question about all the T Brown vans on Melbourne Grove: Do they pay to use the entire street for parking? More generally, people who bring their work owned vans "home" to be parked residentially, do the companies have to pay for this privilege/ inconvenience to the communities that host them for the night?

Thanks the-e-dealer.

You quite right mynamehere that upwards of a dozen T Brown vans conregate at the nothern end of Melbourne Grove. Many are there on single yellow lines when they start operating at 8am.

It unfortunate that such council contractor vans dont seem to attract Traffic Wardens - gives the impression of immunity to local residents. I have reported it several times but will try and get some enforcement again.

James, the problem with the T Brown vehicles has suddenly escalated. The last few days there seem to have been far more, with continuous parking all round the corner, which is highly dangerous. I noticed this morning that not all of their vans have company livery so the true number is much higher than it may first appear.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No.

>

> And Dulwich Van Hire do the same since they sold

> their premises. Maybe a CPZ would help.

Maybe work vans have to display a special parking permit disc

I discussed this with a man working for me and he thought it is a great idea. I said ?300 and the man jumped at the idea that by paying ?300 and displaying a disc he could park at jobs in Southwark in CPZ zones

I had no idea what these T Brown vans were. Interesting how Southwark plays a parking game. Today I saw these vans "waking up" and as they blocked traffic in all directions yielding to no one they drove with one hand as they all made phone calls

What about these vans using and paying for Sainsbury parking overnight?

Hi mynameHere,

I can see the sense of this covering those areas that UAE controlled parking. But it couldn't solve the issues at the north end of Melbourne Grove without a CPZ and as the-e-dealersnsaysnthats not on the cards.

Let me try and get Southwark Council tovfixnthis via a combination of parking enforcement and supplier management.

mynamehere Wrote:

>

> I had no idea what these T Brown vans were.

> Interesting how Southwark plays a parking game.

> Today I saw these vans "waking up" and as they

> blocked traffic in all directions yielding to no

> one they drove with one hand as they all made

> phone calls

>

> What about these vans using and paying for

> Sainsbury parking overnight?

I'm pretty certain that the majority of these vans are not staying overnight so Sainsbury's car park isn't an option. The reason that they think that they can (and do) get away with parking so badly is that the drivers stay in the vans or are very close by so are ready to move if a traffic warden arrives (So a CPZ wouldn't help). When I walk to the station at just after 7 there are frequent arrivals. I think they are simply getting ready for the day's shift; to clock on, hand in yesterday's paper work and get their work orders for the day. If I catch a later train I sometimes see them starting to leave for their first jobs. They're clearly working on behalf of Southwark, although they may also be using that office to service their jobs in other boroughs. If they park carefully I wouldn't complain but they're getting lazy and those parking right on the corner are dangerous. Hopefully James will be able to encourage a little consideration on their part.

Hi AbDabs,

You're probably right that they're cloknig in and swapping paperwork collecting parts. But that is so last century working for a field force. They should have hand held terminals givng them their jobs, carrying appropriate van stock.

Does anyone know one of these field engineers so we can ask what gives?

Though rather than re-lay the paving stones they've just asphalted it over. I would have thought the former would have been cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing. No expert though.

bloonoo Wrote:

> James it looks like the paving slabs on east

> dulwich grove are finally being dealt with, so

> thank you very much!

The East Dulwich ward Safer Neighobrhood Team ward panel - local people giving views balanced agaisnt Police information.

The local Police priorities chosen are:

1. Fighting burglary - unusual spate of burglaries along Barry Road.

2. Motor Vehicle Crime - two parts. First criminal damage either deliberate or while stealing contents or parts. Second theft of scotter/motor cycles.

3. Youth Engagement - divert children before secondary school from a life of crime.

James

Recently some trees along Whateley Road have been pruned back which is all well and good.?

This morning though, three modest height mature trees had been cut down to waist level.?

The benefits of trees are surely well known, even to council contractors, from air cleansing to local citizen well being.?

Mature trees give our streets much of their character and they are the one thing that no one can quickly replace.?

- who is driving this policy at the council?

- why are such trees being removed?

- when will they be replanted?

thanks

Trees for Bees!!!

This died in the lounge and the money's going fast... the money can be used for street trees

The Big Tree Plant, a campaign to encourage people and communities to plant more trees in England's towns, cities and neighbourhoods has announced that its funding programme is open for applications.

?4 million is available (to March 2015) to support community groups to plant trees in towns, cities and residential areas throughout England. Grants of between ?500 and ?25,000 are available to establish community-led tree planting projects in areas that would benefit most. The trees must be planted in streets or in green places that are open to all to visit or where local people will benefit from them. Groups working in areas where more trees would help to improve residents? quality of life are strongly encouraged to apply for the funding. The scheme can fund work such as community involvement, site surveys and expert advice as well as trees, planting materials, labour, and tree care and maintenance.

The deadline for submitting applications is 5pm on the 15th March 2013.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/england-bigtreeplant

For months Living Streets has been working with jointly Southwark Cyclists and Southwark Council on the creation of a Green Route between the Bricklayers Arms and Burgess Park in East Walworth. The plans are now being consulted on by Southwark Council.

If you could just take (max - we promise) 2 minutes to (hopefully) support this we would be very grateful.

Just click on:

https://forms.southwark.gov.uk/ShowForm.asp?fm_fid=844

James I hope you do not mind a post like this one!? It's a bit safer from sniping here and possibly more visible.

Campaign for Safer Roads at the Elephant & Castle. Day of Action Friday 16th November. Collecting petition signatures. Please do come along if you have any time on the day.

Starts 8am. 4pm TfL and GLA invited to talk to local parents about dangers from these roads. 4.30pm Judging of competition for the best poster designed by a local child. Day ends at 5pm with a vigil to remember all those killed on London?s roads organised by RoadPeace.

Likely clipboard shortage - If you have a clipboard ? please could you bring it with you!

Full details are on the SLS website

http://southwarklivingstreets.org.uk/

If you cannot make it, please do sign the online petition - almost 500 signatures now.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/safer-roads-at-the-elephant-castle.html

Many thanks & best wishes - Jeremy 020-7252-5331 (on the day 07931-389746)

Hi peckhamboy,

I've met Southern railway project managers on site. From memory they were waiting for CCTV changes for the ramp and the new cycle parking to be installed on platform 1. They were expecting both to be completed by the end of Cotboer and I'll chase to find out the new date.

My East Dulwich ward colleagues Cllr Shimmell and Mitchell allocated ?10,000 to replace the up lighters etc with lighting that can be maintained by the council lighting department. This was also due to be completed by now and I'll find out where this is.